Wednesday, January 9, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Wednesday, January 9, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Because everyone totally knows what degree of latitude every freaking country passes through.
If you know that 22ish is the tropics and 66ish (north) is the arctic circle, you should have a good idea as to how the earth is laid out.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
marpocky
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by marpocky »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
marpocky wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Totally arbitrary, asinine FJ! No way in heck are you getting that unless you're a freaking genius at calculating every place's latitude. I had no guess.
Or, unless you have a pretty good idea of how far north 59 degrees is (the Arctic Circle is somewhere around 66), and realize it pretty much has to be Scandinavia. Then you rule out any combo that requires crossing water.
Because everyone totally knows what degree of latitude every freaking country passes through.
That's not at all what I said, but go right on with your belligerent ignorance. It's what you do.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I started with the Koreas, then decided that was wrong. By then the time was over half over and scribbled Washington and Ottawa just to have something. Londin/Paris came to mind when the music ended. A little more thought and I might have gotten to Scandinavia.

Things you need to know,,,,,,,,,FDR died in Warm Springs.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Yeah, I am not so good at the latitude thing. My mind went immediately to Seoul and Pyongyang and wouldn't go anywhere else.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

econgator wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:I would feel really bad for anyone who said Stockholm and Helsinki. They are separated by 247 miles (closer than Stockholm-Oslo) and less than 1 degree of latitude, but Helsinki is at 60 degrees 10 minutes.
Those two are separated by water (at least at that distance), but unless you know the exact location of the Scandinavian capitals, it's a toss-up (one which I lucked out on).
Thanks for pointing this out--"of land" didn't fully register with me, and it's the additional piece of information that would help a knowledgeable player distinguish the right answer from the wrong answer.
Leander

Post by Leander »

If I had any idea about degrees of latitude, I would have come up with a better answer than Cairo and Jerusalem.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Leander wrote:If I had any idea about degrees of latitude, I would have come up with a better answer than Cairo and Jerusalem.
That and you'd have to cross the Suez Canal.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

I grabbed Stockholm quickly, since it's in the middle, then went back and forth between Oslo and Helsinki for the next 25 seconds before picking up the "by land" piece and getting Oslo. Both it and yesterday's were good clues. You probably wouldn't know if off the bat, but could work it out and come up with the correct answer.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote:
Leander wrote:If I had any idea about degrees of latitude, I would have come up with a better answer than Cairo and Jerusalem.
Which you can do (and I have done, albeit from Tel Aviv to Cairo, which would still sorta satisfy the 2 capitals criterion).
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

alietr wrote:Crud. Seoul is only 37.58 degrees North. I thought it was far south of 59 degrees, and shouldn't have gone with it as a result. General rule of thumb: places in Asia are much farther south than you would think; places in Europe are much farther north.
That's what killed me.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

My first wrong FJ since Dec. 11 - an amazing run for me, since I usually do no better, and often worse, than 4 in a week. I'll probably now go 0 for 20 or something.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Agggron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Agggron »

As with others, I also had a FJ streak ended with this clue. I was really happy with my 5-in-a-row but seeing others' way longer streak puts me to shame. :P Anyways, the degrees latitude didn't really help me that much - I had no idea that 59 meant it was that far north. Said Bangkok and Hanoi just because I knew the countries had to kind of be stuck together, and I didn't know the location of the capitals anyways. I do think this was a good clue though; just didn't have enough knowledge to even start in the right spot. xD

I gave out of a lot of "Oh!"s when answers in the Computing, Entertainment, and Bear categories were revealed. In fact, after getting off to a hot start in the Science category I thought this would have meant a strong rest of the game. But I basically just got top-row and second-row clues for the rest of the game, haha.

ElendilPickle, now I see what you mean about dominating this game. Congrats on making it onto the show though! :)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Juggling, Redgraves, and Quantrill were easy collections. I get not knowing the people names, but could those of you who didn't get juggling explain the problem?

Ashok isn't old enough to have picked up Warm Springs along the way and I'm sure I was over 20 before I learned it. Solving that DD would only have given him the lead entering FJ and he still would have lost the game. His 4000 wager was strong and the way to go with a nice lead early in the match.

The FJ clue had me doing a lot of what has been written already with the Koreas = 38, to heading more north. I made my way towards Europe figuring the number meant go higher and not being able to pin any capital cities on a map had me just go for two close in London/France. I only read the clue once, so didn't have the land thing locked into my thinking. It would not have mattered because even in working with the right area it would be like me to work Helsinki in as one of the two.

Ashok's surname has 12 letters. By my count only one other TOCer has that many letters in the last name not counting hypenates like Jim T-M or Jill B-Z. Who is the other one? For those of you who know the names of many TOCers it's fun to think of lots of names instead of just cheating to see who it is. You should be able to recall many with 10 or 11 letters.
Leander

Post by Leander »

econgator wrote:
Of course considering that Stockholm is a series of islands in the Baltic, you're crossing water to get to Oslo too.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I thought Ashok should wager $400: at half of Brett's total, he was exactly between double Brett's lead over Kristin and double Kristin's lead over him. Here's how it would play out.

If Ashok and Brett are both wrong:
$12,800 - $6,801 = $5,999
$6,400 - $400 = $6,000

If Ashok is right and Kristin is wrong:
$9,800 - $3,001 = $6,799
$6,400 + $400 = $6,800

And he could win on a triple stumper if Kristin overwagered. But then, Kristin might be willing to offer a tie to Ashok to prevent losing to him by a dollar on his sole get, and (though far more unlikely) Brett might bet $0, so all-in was justifiable for Ashok. The upside was $6,000 more, and as it turned out with Kristin's wager, the downside was only $1,000 less.

I said Seoul and Pyongyang too. I never considered anything else.
nlw44

Post by nlw44 »

Agggron wrote:As with others, I also had a FJ streak ended with this clue. I was really happy with my 5-in-a-row but seeing others' way longer streak puts me to shame. :P Anyways, the degrees latitude didn't really help me that much - I had no idea that 59 meant it was that far north. Said Bangkok and Hanoi just because I knew the countries had to kind of be stuck together, and I didn't know the location of the capitals anyways. I do think this was a good clue though; just didn't have enough knowledge to even start in the right spot. xD
:)
Something useful to remember, which I obviously did not think of tonight...the Arctic Circle is at just over 66 degrees N latitude (S for Antarctic of course). So those latitudes had to be pretty darn north. No help for my streak, unfortunately, but all knowledge is useful for the future, right? It's also helpful to remember that the equator runs through Indonesia, not even catching the Malay Peninsula on the Asian mainland.

There was some question on WWTBAM a while back about what country you'd hit if you dug directly through the Earth's core to the other side starting from Kansas or someplace like that - continental US anyway. Three of the choices were north of the equator and only one south. So that last one HAD to be the correct answer, even if you knew nothing else about geography. Man, was I yelling at the screen on that one, but as opposed to J!, I'm convinced that that show does NOT want people who know too much. As someone just pointed out in another thread, J! doesn't take any significantly bigger hit if one person wins many games or many people win one game each. But several people in a row on WWTBAM who get into the big $ can take a huge chunk of change from them.

As an aside, I recently saw the old WWTBAM on GSN with the first $1,000,000 winner - John Henderson or something like that? - and his questions were the type that any reasonably qualified J! contestant could get with no problem. Not the sort of obscure, picayune kind of stuff they put into the high value clues nowadays.
He chortled in his joy.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

nlw44 wrote:As an aside, I recently saw the old WWTBAM on GSN with the first $1,000,000 winner - John Henderson or something like that?
Carpenter
nlw44

Post by nlw44 »

econgator wrote:
nlw44 wrote:As an aside, I recently saw the old WWTBAM on GSN with the first $1,000,000 winner - John Henderson or something like that?
Carpenter
Thank you.
He chortled in his joy.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:
Carpenter
Carpenter Henderson?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
nlw44

Post by nlw44 »

bpmod wrote:
econgator wrote:
Carpenter
Carpenter Henderson?

Brian
John Carpenter. I knew it had three syllables anyway. :D
He chortled in his joy.