Tuesday, January 22, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by billiej »

econgator wrote:
Paucle wrote:Also, how do we know line segment AC was the hypotenuse? I saw no proof it was opposite a right angle.
True. They should have squared the angle.
That bothered me, too, but since I responded correctly before the clue was read, I tried to tell myself not to be so nitpicky. :mrgreen:

Went with Australia for FJ - at least I had a little company.
earendel

Post by earendel »

Paucle wrote:no BMS on "Etruscans"? (Or isn't "those darn" required?)
I was hoping that the contestant would say "What are those darned Etruscans?" but alas, she didn't.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
earendel

Post by earendel »

FJ! was an instaget but for a roundabout reason. The domain for Switzerland is .ch, which is for "Helvetica Confederation". Also the "helvetica" font was created by a Swiss typeface designer.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

earendel wrote:FJ! was an instaget but for a roundabout reason. The domain for Switzerland is .ch, which is for "Helvetica Confederation". Also the "helvetica" font was created by a Swiss typeface designer.
Two things that I should have known, but didn't.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Anyone else totally flummoxed by the Shoes category, or is it just me? I have never heard of any of that stuff.
If you had, we'd worry about you. :o

Gotta love someone who brings up Bama football in the interview segment.* :mrgreen: Knew the metals outright, but it helps to (a) be the son of a metalurgical engineer, (b) worked five years in a galvanizing plant, and (c) be too familiar with lithium.

FJ was a semi-precall. With the category name, I started running through obtuse offical names (the Congolese countries, all the "Democratic Peoples Republics" and, of course, the Swiss Confederation.) I also remembered that, although Canada is technically a confederation, it's not part of the official title (unlike it's semi-official pre-1967 "Dominion of Canada" title). I guess they figured it was too unwieldy in French, so they kept it simple. :P

-----

* For those of you too young to remember, Bama used those infamous tearaway jerseys from the early 70s until they were basically banned by the NCAA later in the decade. If the jersey was torn to the point that the number was not readable by the officials, the player had to come off for a replacement jersey. Sometimes they were quick enough and the player didn't even miss a play (until the NCAA rules made the player sit out a play in the late 1970s), but it depended on how swift the trainers on the sidelines were.
Last edited by Spaceman Spiff on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Austin Powers wrote:Like yesterday, I just knew the answer for FJ, so it is hard for me to gauge how easily it could be deduced.

I was a little disappointed that the middle guy lost. He could read the phonebook and I would enjoy it.

Sounds like you are an Andy Kaufman fan, he would do something like that. Actually, I think he read "The Great Gatsby" to his audience.

I went with Micronesia.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Final was an instant for me; not sure where I picked it up, but I'm glad I did.
Switzerland's history is just awesome. Take over Europe, get bored, go neutral so everyone else can have fun, make cuckoo clocks.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

earendel wrote:FJ! was an instaget but for a roundabout reason. The domain for Switzerland is .ch, which is for "Helvetica Confederation".
I did not know that. If asked, I might've guessed that the .ch stood for "cheese."
(Just kidding. Actually I would not have guessed at all.)
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote:Final was an instant for me; not sure where I picked it up, but I'm glad I did.
Switzerland's history is just awesome. Take over Europe, get bored, go neutral so everyone else can have fun, make cuckoo clocks.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote:My punishment for missing the FJ clue was to play this Sporcle game:
http://www.sporcle.com/games/Jam1/missingword

17/28 leaves me room for improvement such as hardly believing this one: ________ Republic of Uruguay

Answer:
Spoiler
Oriental
I managed to squeak out 23/28, but at least a couple of those (including Swiss) were probably influenced by comments people made in this thread. It's interesting to note that the _________ Confederation clue has the lowest get percentage by a good margin, at only 3.9%. Based on how many people have already said that they got the FJ clue correct, I 'm guessing it is going to pull a good deal higher than that this week.

It would be interesting to see how the general population of jboard might do on some Sporcle quizzes, because I am often amazed at what high percentages show up on certain quizzes, particularly in the Geography category. Sure, many people probably play those quizzes over and over until they are able to post high scores, and many of those are simply in the vein of "name these countries", which doesn't necessarily mean that you know anything about the countries. Heck, half the time Alex mentions an "obscure" country on Jeopardy!, I am amazed that I had no idea how to correctly pronounce it, such as Kiribati or Lesotho.
ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher »

pinkfreud wrote:
earendel wrote:FJ! was an instaget but for a roundabout reason. The domain for Switzerland is .ch, which is for "Helvetica Confederation".
I did not know that. If asked, I might've guessed that the .ch stood for "cheese."
I would have thought that "ch" stands for chocolate.
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

ChemTeacher wrote:
pinkfreud wrote:
I would have thought that "ch" stands for chocolate.
Or maybe "cuckoo horology."
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

earendel wrote:
I was hoping that the contestant would say "What are those darned Etruscans?" but alas, she didn't.
+1
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

earendel wrote:
And neither did Buddy, who actually had the opportunity to do so. It is how I responded at home, and I was equally disappointed.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

jeff6286 wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:My punishment for missing the FJ clue was to play this Sporcle game:
http://www.sporcle.com/games/Jam1/missingword

17/28 leaves me room for improvement such as hardly believing this one: ________ Republic of Uruguay

Answer:
Spoiler
Oriental
I managed to squeak out 23/28, but at least a couple of those (including Swiss) were probably influenced by comments people made in this thread. It's interesting to note that the _________ Confederation clue has the lowest get percentage by a good margin, at only 3.9%. Based on how many people have already said that they got the FJ clue correct, I 'm guessing it is going to pull a good deal higher than that this week.

It would be interesting to see how the general population of jboard might do on some Sporcle quizzes, because I am often amazed at what high percentages show up on certain quizzes, particularly in the Geography category. Sure, many people probably play those quizzes over and over until they are able to post high scores, and many of those are simply in the vein of "name these countries", which doesn't necessarily mean that you know anything about the countries. Heck, half the time Alex mentions an "obscure" country on Jeopardy!, I am amazed that I had no idea how to correctly pronounce it, such as Kiribati or Lesotho.
Sporcle! I actually started poking Sporcle in the week before I taped in order to strengthen my weak points. Husband's idea.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH