The Experts - New YouTube Game Show

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Alan_B
Loyal Jeopardista

The Experts - New YouTube Game Show

Post by Alan_B »

I'm one of the creator/producers of THE EXPERTS, a new weekly game show launching next Monday on YouTube.

I'm also a multi-game show veteran --- 5-time undefeated J! champion in 2001, ToC semifinalist in 2003, UToC flameout in Round 1, vanquisher of Watson in one of the IBM scrimmage matches. I also made a misbegotten appearance on Win Ben Stein's Money and a VERY begotten appearance on Million Dollar Mind Game on the record-setting Pub Quiz team with Brad Rutter.

I've taken all that time spent on various soundstages and in various greenrooms and put it to good use --- a new game show!

THE EXPERTS pits three superfans of various fields of knowledge against each other to see who knows the most about the field they love --- thereby winning the title The Expert of Experts.

There'll be PLENTY of J! champions on the show. You can get a sneak peek here. (The second face you'll see in the trailer is J!'s legendary Hans Von Walter.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXWaBi6CQGo
Alan_B
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: The Experts - New YouTube Game Show

Post by Alan_B »

First episode up today!! Hope you enjoy it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvmf8ZHA ... UlB9wiyi7w
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I know I did!

Eagle-eyed J! viewers might recognize Raj Dhuwalia, who won in Faith Love's fifth game in 2002.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

seaborgium wrote:I know I did!
As did I!
Probably would not have mattered in the long run, but it feels like Jessa just brain burped on that one answer where she gave the first word beginning with TR instead of PL. Also,
Spoiler
Seems like Raj crippled himself from the beginning with a too-broad category. The other two were very specific-- ONE TV show, ONE pop group. Raj probably could've skated by with declaring his expertise as his favorite NFL team instead.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Reminds me a little of "Beat the Geeks' (now there's a game show I miss ... )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
hanzz
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by hanzz »

Pure excellence, Alan, congrats on a successful launch! And I'm not just saying that because I'm legendary in your eyes.
Spoiler
Seems like Raj crippled himself from the beginning with a too-broad category. The other two were very specific-- ONE TV show, ONE pop group. Raj probably could've skated by with declaring his expertise as his favorite NFL team instead.
Spoiler
That was my thought, too, when picking an area of expertise. I considered the Academy Awards but figured a) that was way too broad and b) one of our good friends would probably want that category and be much better at it than I.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This is awesome! Thanks, Alan!
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

Congratulations, Alan! Thoroughly enjoyed the show.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

That was really good!

AS I expected, I did really well on GoT, decent on NFL (too broad), and got one on NSYNC (Amber Benson). :)
Alan_B
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Alan_B »

Thanks for the enthusiastic response, guys. We taped this nearly three months ago, and it's exciting to finally get it out into the world!

And our experts were GREAT to work with! Raj is an old friend, so it was a pleasure to spend trivia time with him again!
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I enjoyed that.

If any of the experts ever claim "The Simpsons" as their area of expertise, I will expect to play along with them and do pretty well.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

skullturf wrote:I enjoyed that.

If any of the experts ever claim "The Simpsons" as their area of expertise, I will expect to play along with them and do pretty well.
Replace "The Simpsons" with The Brady Bunch for me. Yeah if you need questions for The Brady Bunch to stump "the expert" I could write stuff that would have them embarrassed either by a miracle knowing it or being way out of their league.

Next Week's Episode

COEN BROTHERS MOVIES vs NOTORIOUS B.I.G. vs THE 1565 SIEGE OF MALTA

Uh yeah. Well, perhaps I'll get one if the wood chipper comes up you betcha.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Really enjoyed that! I'm so glad they unblocked YouTube at work. :)

-M
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:Yeah if you need questions for The Brady Bunch to stump "the expert" I could write stuff that would have them embarrassed either by a miracle knowing it or being way out of their league.
Hmmm, that makes me think - Alan, you can always call on other boardies to help you write material! I know, while I'd love to be on the show, I won't be able to make it out to SoCal at all (I *will* make an exception for The Call), but I can always offer to write questions for anything in my wheelhouse (anthems, flags, anything geographical, really.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

skullturf wrote:
Ditto!

Though I would prefer to narrow it down to "Seasons 3-8 of The Simpsons."
Alan_B
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Alan_B »

I think The Simpsons may be the most daunting category to write! (Although my partner who's writing a slate of Lord of the Rings questions for Michael Rooney this week may beg to differ.)

You can watch the players' post-game interviews here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKUH53qI ... mwSWKDwufv
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

That was a lot of fun, Alan_B!

I figured Lord of the Rings would be the obvious category for me, so I will definitely watch next week and see how that goes.
Alan_B
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Alan_B »

Sorry --- meant to say we're taping Michael Rooney as our Lord of the Rings expert next, but it will be a few months before it airs. Hope you like Coen Brothers movies next week! Or Notorious B.I.G. Or the 1565 Siege of Malta --- I know there are online forums CRAWLING with fans of that!
SwanShadow
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by SwanShadow »

Fun stuff, Alan! I thoroughly enjoyed the first ep. I've subscribed, and will eagerly await forthcoming offerings.

Sadly, this focused format would only make me look like a complete imbecile. As anyone who knows anything about my J! career will attest, I know a little about many things, and an awful lot about nothing. :D
Michael Rankins
ToC '88; Super J! '90; BoBAB '98; UToC '05; BotD Fan Favorite Reject, '14
Alan_B
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Alan_B »

Michael, don't let that stop you from coming down to L.A. and taping an episode!!