Friday, February 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

marpocky
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, February 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by marpocky »

jeff6286 wrote:We've discussed in the past that for tournament quarterfinals, they always make sure to get all 60 clues in to equalize everyone's opportunities to earn a wildcard, yet sometimes clues get left unrevealed in the Semi-Finals or Finals, since there is no need to level the playing field between players from different games. While we did get all the clues in during this week's games, I wonder if after the triple zero yesterday, the show will change that policy in the future to ensure that all Semi-Finalists get to see 60 (yeah, 61) clues as well. And hey, while they're at it, why not make sure every clue gets seen in the Finals as well?
Why stop at tournament games?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

guessonguessonguess wrote: Because you wouldn't have jeans anymore if you put them in acid.
I'm not really sure if I get the context of this meme, but it definitely seems appropriate to the conversation:

marpocky

Post by marpocky »

TenPoundHammer wrote:* Grr, another bleeping "Here, identify someone famous from just their face" clue (Tyra Banks).
Yes, we know you can't get these. You can stop mentioning it now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I said American Red Cross on FJ. I realized way too late they were asking for a government agency and didn't have time to process the clue again to come up with something else.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

WilliamPorygon wrote:
jeff6286 wrote: Interesting that Nilai didn't bet the extra dollar to cover Leonard, so if Emily had made a cover bet, Leonard would have missed out on a tiebreaker question by not going all-in. Was that pure Machiavellian genius by Nilai, knowing that there was no way Leonard would bet it all after what happened yesterday?
Except the tiebreaker is only used for ties for first place. Since they would've tied for second, there would've been no tiebreaker, they would've had the same score for the wildcard spot, and Nilai would've advanced by virtue of having the higher score going into FJ!

(It would also mark that point the average viewers' brains would start to BSOD from all these obscure rules.)
Oops, I suppose you are right. I should have known I was missing something. So had Leonard bet it all, we would have had a situation some people suggested in yesterday's thread, two players tied for the win, with both guaranteed to advance, so would they still have bothered with the tiebreaker question? Presumably yes, but it would have essentially been meaningless. In this scenario, Leonard would have gone into the finals with the psychological advantage of his opponents thinking that he is a complete psychopath, betting it all after seeing what happened yesterday. :lol:
ihsh wrote:I'm guessing that Emily bet only $6000 because she thought "hey, if I don't beg big, and either one of the other two players get FJ wrong , then I will be guaranteed a second place!"
Yes, she was essentially gambling that FJ would be a tough clue, possibly a triple stumper, while both of her opponents were betting on the likelihood that everyone would get it right. There may also be something about Mars and Venus going on here, but I'm not even going to attempt to wade into that analysis.
marpocky wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:We've discussed in the past that for tournament quarterfinals, they always make sure to get all 60 clues in to equalize everyone's opportunities to earn a wildcard, yet sometimes clues get left unrevealed in the Semi-Finals or Finals, since there is no need to level the playing field between players from different games. While we did get all the clues in during this week's games, I wonder if after the triple zero yesterday, the show will change that policy in the future to ensure that all Semi-Finalists get to see 60 (yeah, 61) clues as well. And hey, while they're at it, why not make sure every clue gets seen in the Finals as well?
I certainly agree with you, but the fact that the show has never made this change over the past 25+ years makes me think that it is pretty unlikely they will do it now. Whatever time and resources are required for editing in order to make all 30 clues fit into the first two rounds, they must feel it is not worthwhile to expend for regular games.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

jeff6286 wrote:
marpocky wrote:
I certainly agree with you, but the fact that the show has never made this change over the past 25+ years makes me think that it is pretty unlikely they will do it now. Whatever time and resources are required for editing in order to make all 30 clues fit into the first two rounds, they must feel it is not worthwhile to expend for regular games.
They could start by not having 2-hour clues like the Kareem one and Sarah's pressure one.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:* Once again, I saw no way to shortcut those math problems. Especially 1.1 x 2.2.
WHAT!!?!? Were you never taught how to multiply by one? That's even easier than multiplying by ten.
Oh duh, I was overthinking it. I was trying to do 11 x 11 doubled, then shift the decimal over. The others though? Not a chance.
bpmod wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:How do you get FEMA out of that clue? The TOM there was getting me nowhere.
What other organization can you think of that helps people after tragedy strikes?

Brian
guessonguessonguess wrote:"helping after a fire."
That was what got me. Most fires are, while still tragedies, much smaller scale than what I think of FEMA as usually handling (e.g. Hurricane Katrina). I was just thinking too big. Even so, I would've thought FEMA was more recent, since I don't recall them being in the news before 9/11.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

marpocky wrote:They could start by not having 2-hour clues like the Kareem one and Sarah's pressure one.
Amen to that!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

bpmod wrote: What other organization can you think of that helps people after tragedy strikes?

Brian
Red Cross
Salvation Army

Not everything has to come from the government.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

Bamaman wrote:
bpmod wrote: What other organization can you think of that helps people after tragedy strikes?

Brian
Red Cross
Salvation Army

It does when the category is "U.S. Government."
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:

Brian
Red Cross
Salvation Army

Granted. But seeing as the category is U.S. Government, you should be able to eliminate those.

Edit: Beat again!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

xxaaaxx wrote:
dhkendall wrote:SAotY (Shout At of the Year) : "New York, New York". :o :shock:
GRRRRRR. OK, I'm over it.

Why only bet 6000, from the lead!? No way I'd trust those two (or anyone, ever) to bet small with those tight scores, knowing that there's a wild card at atake, and that all they have to leave behind is $101+.

She made a good call at a 6k wager. She, knowing about the WC potential and a win potential chose a method in which she doesn't necessarily need to hold the highest score to advance.

WIth a 6k wager, she puts herself at 12k+ or 24k+. In addition, should any one of her competitors get the question wrong. At 12k, it's still a high score and 24k is a very good score as well. The only way for her to lose is that BOTH of her competitors get FJ correct. Unfortunately, this was the case today.

If she were to cover a 16K+ 2nd place, she would need to bet 14k+ and bet on herself to get the correct response because a wrong one is definitely NOT an auspicious position.

Hence, I think she made the right choice, unfortunately, it didn't work for her.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

You know what it just inherently and unavoidably unfair in this situation? Unlike the QFs, where everyone knows there are wild cards at stake, the two non-winners in the first game were just playing for the win.

I didn't watch the game, so I have to ask, did Alex make any mention whatsoever that the two were playing for a wild card spot? If so, then that's completely unfair to Irene, since what Alex should have done is carried on like normal with the players not having any idea what transpired. I mean, look at those wagers, and think of how these kids have wagered all tournament long. Is it a coincidence that they all randomly small amount of money (save Emily)? You don't think they all secretly just wanted to pull the all-in trigger?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

hanzz wrote:You know what it just inherently and unavoidably unfair in this situation? Unlike the QFs, where everyone knows there are wild cards at stake, the two non-winners in the first game were just playing for the win.

I didn't watch the game, so I have to ask, did Alex make any mention whatsoever that the two were playing for a wild card spot? If so, then that's completely unfair to Irene, since what Alex should have done is carried on like normal with the players not having any idea what transpired. I mean, look at those wagers, and think of how these kids have wagered all tournament long. Is it a coincidence that they all randomly small amount of money (save Emily)? You don't think they all secretly just wanted to pull the all-in trigger?
Agree wholeheartedly. There should have been no mention of the wildcard. Irene did not have the benefit of playing for a wildcard spot, so the others shouldn't have either. (That is, yes, Alex mentioned it right off the top.)

Brian

hanzz

Post by hanzz »

bpmod wrote:
hanzz wrote:You know what it just inherently and unavoidably unfair in this situation? Unlike the QFs, where everyone knows there are wild cards at stake, the two non-winners in the first game were just playing for the win.

Agree wholeheartedly. There should have been no mention of the wildcard. Irene did not have the benefit of playing for a wildcard spot, so the others shouldn't have either. (That is, yes, Alex mentioned it right off the top.)

Brian
I see. Darn. Well, I guess it was ultimately a moo point since they all got Final right.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

hanzz wrote:I see. Darn. Well, I guess it was ultimately a moo point since they all got Final right.
But, without the wildcard, Emily might have gone for the win. And without the wildcard, Leonard might have gone for the triple-stumper.

So, I don't think it's moot. The fact that they were able to play for two positions instead of one radically altered strategy.

Brian

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I think the only fair thing is to give Irene &/or Emily a chance to play again. Maybe in College or regular play.

Brian

CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

bpmod wrote:I think the only fair thing is to give Irene &/or Emily a chance to play again. Maybe in College or regular play.

Brian
That would be great and leave them open in future pools.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

They could just completely redo the tournament and air it next week... :twisted:
lemonsun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by lemonsun »

guessonguessonguess wrote:The boy's answer to the '80s-denim question was absolutely terrible but, sadly, correct.If you tell a fashionista you like her "bleach-wash" jeans, she's going to laugh at you. When you ask "What kind of liquid were jeans popularly washed in during both the 1980s and contemporary society" or something to that effect, bleach is an acceptable answer.

Because you wouldn't have jeans anymore if you put them in acid.
A true fashionista would not be caught dead in acid-washed jeans today. :D