Pet Intellectual Peeves

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by bpmod »

marpocky wrote:I never noticed that, but one thing I (and many others) noticed, is the way they will always use "phone" as a verb where most people would say "call."
As a verb, I have pretty much always used 'phone' and 'call' interchangeably. It could be a regional thing.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bpmod wrote:
marpocky wrote:I never noticed that, but one thing I (and many others) noticed, is the way they will always use "phone" as a verb where most people would say "call."
As a verb, I have pretty much always used 'phone' and 'call' interchangeably. It could be a regional thing.

Brian
I've used "phone", "call", and -- less frequently -- "ring".
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

People's ending (or attempting to end) debates by stating their opinion, followed by "Period. End of story." Or, making the observation that the debate has gone on too long and proclaiming the discussion ended - but not before squeezing in their own opinion as the last word.
marpocky
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by marpocky »

bpmod wrote:

Brian
Oh, I agree that they are interchangeable. It's just that they don't interchange them. Every character says "phone," every time.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Magna wrote:People's ending (or attempting to end) debates by stating their opinion, followed by "Period. End of story." Or, making the observation that the debate has gone on too long and proclaiming the discussion ended - but not before squeezing in their own opinion as the last word.
Much more annoying is when they say "feel free to have the last word; I'm done".
I'm smart and I want respect.
Cortana431
Valued Contributor

Post by Cortana431 »

Heh I hate when people use redundancies like "aid and abet, completely ______, past_____" and "most ____est" like "most strongest."
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

For a really entertaining list of these peeves and a fascinating dissertation on dictionaries by david foster wallace read this. http://instruct.westvalley.edu/lafave/D ... tense.html
And yes, don't miss the footnotes.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

"EST" does not mean "Eastern Time." It means "Eastern Standard Time." If something -- let's say, a Presidential address -- is taking place at 7:30 P.M. Eastern time on May 1st, it is taking place at 7:30 PDT.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

trainman wrote:"EST" does not mean "Eastern Time." It means "Eastern Standard Time." If something -- let's say, a Presidential address -- is taking place at 7:30 P.M. Eastern time on May 1st, it is taking place at 7:30 PDT.
*cough* 7:30 EDT.

Also 6:30 EST.

How to annoy people: Refer to standard time during daylight saving. Refer to daylight saving time during standard. :lol:
(Does not work in Arizona.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Volante wrote:
trainman wrote:"EST" does not mean "Eastern Time." It means "Eastern Standard Time." If something -- let's say, a Presidential address -- is taking place at 7:30 P.M. Eastern time on May 1st, it is taking place at 7:30 PDT.

Also 6:30 EST.

How to annoy people: Refer to standard time during daylight saving. Refer to daylight saving time during standard. :lol:
(Does not work in Arizona.)
Nothing works in Arizona (see Arizona state government and Maricopa County sheriff).
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Volante wrote:
Whoops -- you see what happens when you've lived in the Pacific time zone for 13 years? You make typos like that. 7:30 EDT, 4:30 PDT. (Which may be the answer to the question "what time does [sporting event] start?")
Chaucer
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Chaucer »

georgespelvin wrote:
"Reretaken" is not a word.
Unless perhaps it means "taken by the upper arm," using "rere" from "rerebrace," a piece of armor that covers the triceps and a portion of the biceps. Yes, I know, funny only to wordnerds, and even then, meh. :ugeek: :D
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Michelle Bachmann: "I’m proud to join my conservative colleagues in making this video to highlight that there are limited government representatives fighting for real change."

That's what we need, more limits on government representatives.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

A new Pet Intellectual peeve that has nothing to do with grammar! Shocking!

At work today, I was sorting through old service orders (since that's what they pay me to do, so that makes sense.) I came across one for (I'll make up an address) 24-70 Smithfield Rd. (This should mean, to anyone with a brain, 70 Smithfield Rd., Apartment 24.) Many of these old service requests have a map in them (surprised how popular Yahoo Maps and Mapquest were as recently as 2008!) so that the service technician could find the place. This one had a map with directions to "24 Smithfield Rd." They're lucky that the apartment number was close enough to the street number that they should be able to get on track once they realize that 24 Smithfield Rd. is not what they want (if there even is a 24 Smithfield Rd.), but this is not the first time I've seen where people come across such an address and think the *first* number is the street address ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:A new Pet Intellectual peeve that has nothing to do with grammar! Shocking!

At work today, I was sorting through old service orders (since that's what they pay me to do, so that makes sense.) I came across one for (I'll make up an address) 24-70 Smithfield Rd. (This should mean, to anyone with a brain, 70 Smithfield Rd., Apartment 24.) Many of these old service requests have a map in them (surprised how popular Yahoo Maps and Mapquest were as recently as 2008!) so that the service technician could find the place. This one had a map with directions to "24 Smithfield Rd." They're lucky that the apartment number was close enough to the street number that they should be able to get on track once they realize that 24 Smithfield Rd. is not what they want (if there even is a 24 Smithfield Rd.), but this is not the first time I've seen where people come across such an address and think the *first* number is the street address ...
I wouldn't have a clue how to interpret that. I would simply put 70 Smithfield Rd, Apt 24.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

You want difficult? I used to have a job that involved finding addresses in Malta. The only thing is that, in many cases, they don't number the houses, they name them. So I'd be wandering up and down the street (fortunately they tend to be small streets) looking for "Cottage by the Sea" or "St. Mary's" on Birzebugga St. or somesuch. One can only imagine what their emergency responders do.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:I wouldn't have a clue how to interpret that. I would simply put 70 Smithfield Rd, Apt 24.
Strange, that's how I've always seen apartment numbers written (and I've lived in 2 in my life as well) - maybe it's the Canadian way to write them, but I could swear I've seen it south of the border as well.

(Google Answers and Canada Post seems to agree with my new assumption that the way I've always done it (and even used for US addresses when I send mail south of the border) is the Canadian way, and econgator's way is the American way.)
alietr wrote:You want difficult? I used to have a job that involved finding addresses in Malta. The only thing is that, in many cases, they don't number the houses, they name them. So I'd be wandering up and down the street (fortunately they tend to be small streets) looking for "Cottage by the Sea" or "St. Mary's" on Birzebugga St. or somesuch. One can only imagine what their emergency responders do.
At least you don't live in Japan, I hear (though have only "heard", haven't verified for myself) that the buildings are numbered on the street in the order they received their building permits, making addresses impossible (for a Westerner, anyways) to find.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

dhkendall wrote:At least you don't live in Japan, I hear (though have only "heard", haven't verified for myself) that the buildings are numbered on the street in the order they received their building permits. . .
The numbers may be based on building permit order -- I never heard that, but it's as good an explanation as any -- but what was clear was that they weren't "street" numbers in any sense of the word. It was more two-dimensional: cities were broken up into wards which were broken up into neighborhoods, and within each neighborhood the individual buildings were numbered in no discernably consistent order. References to streets in addresses were rare. In fact, a lot of streets are simply unnamed.
dhkendall wrote:. . . making addresses impossible (for a Westerner, anyways) to find.
Actually, native Japanese have no advantage over Westerners when entering unfamiliar territory. Everyone has to have a map. When I was there in the '90s, I never saw an invitation to a gathering or an advertisement for a particular place of business that didn't have a little map drawn in at the bottom. I'm certain that the need for maps, more than anything else, is what drove the Japanese people's rapid near-universal adoption of smartphones ahead of everyone else in the world.

Rex
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Rex Kramer wrote:
dhkendall wrote:. . . making addresses impossible (for a Westerner, anyways) to find.
Actually, native Japanese have no advantage over Westerners when entering unfamiliar territory. Everyone has to have a map. When I was there in the '90s, I never saw an invitation to a gathering or an advertisement for a particular place of business that didn't have a little map drawn in at the bottom. I'm certain that the need for maps, more than anything else, is what drove the Japanese people's rapid near-universal adoption of smartphones ahead of everyone else in the world.

Rex
That's it, as a maphead (as Ken Jennings would say - whereas I prefer the term "cartophile") I'm moving to Japan!