Pet Intellectual Peeves

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Paucle »

Was the first post about plurastrophes?
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Paucle wrote:Was the first post about plurastrophes?
No, but when someone called the OP on it, she responded, "You guy's are so mean."

Anyone see the latest Mercedes ad where John Hamm intones, "... and less doors"?
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Vanya wrote:
No, but when someone called the OP on it, she responded, "You guy's are so mean."

Anyone see the latest Mercedes ad where John Hamm intones, "... and less doors"?
Maybe he means less Doors; too lowbrow, too American, too oldies for Mercedes.

Yesterday at the produce market, I bought 'Himalayan sea salt.' Is this some euphemism like 'rocky mountain oysters?' Guess I'll see...
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

bomtr wrote:
Vanya wrote:

Maybe he means less Doors; too lowbrow, too American, too oldies for Mercedes.

Yesterday at the produce market, I bought 'Himalayan sea salt.' Is this some euphemism like 'rocky mountain oysters?' Guess I'll see...
No, no, no, he was slyly alluding to Les Dors, the (in)famous open cockpit racer and jazz saxophonist. Silly wabbit! :lol:
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Vanya wrote:
I was inclined to ask whether someone was jerking someone's chain. My guess, however, is that the OP was being serious.

Worse the pity.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

John Boy wrote:
Vanya wrote:
I was inclined to ask whether someone was jerking someone's chain. My guess, however, is that the OP was being serious.

Worse the pity.
I'm certain she was joking. She just made a mistake with the thread title (which you can't change).
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Ferkrissakes, Wikipedia, get that ugly woman off my screen.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Vanya wrote:Ferkrissakes, Wikipedia, get that ugly woman off my screen.
Banner ad? Click the "X" in the upper right.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Michelle Bachmann gets it wrong on Facebook: "Seventy years ago today, we lost over 2,300 Americans in the horrific attacks on Pearl Harbor. May we remember the victims from that “date of infamy” and their families."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Vanya wrote:Michelle Bachmann gets it wrong on Facebook: "Seventy years ago today, we lost over 2,300 Americans in the horrific attacks on Pearl Harbor. May we remember the victims from that “date of infamy” and their families."
Ok, I'm gonna need a crib sheet on this one; I'm not finding anything laughably wrong... best I can do is maybe "victims from" should be "victims of"?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

The correct quote is "date which will live in infamy" and it's known as the Day of Infamy speech.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Vanya wrote:The correct quote is "date which will live in infamy" and it's known as the Day of Infamy speech.
Ahh, I think, though, she would rather not take verbatim from FDR. Probably pained her enough to allude to him. :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Volante wrote:
Vanya wrote:The correct quote is "date which will live in infamy" and it's known as the Day of Infamy speech.
Ahh, I think, though, she would rather not take verbatim from FDR. Probably pained her enough to allude to him. :lol:
She wasn't alluding to FDR. She was alluding to Sen. John Blutarsky.

Rex
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

What's really sad is "Day of Imfamy" gets 114,000 google hits.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I just heard Obama say "attorney generals" on TV talking about the Wall Street watchdog nominee the Senate blocked.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Bamaman wrote:I just heard Obama say "attorney generals" on TV talking about the Wall Street watchdog nominee the Senate blocked.
That's not nearly as bad as Marine "Corpse."
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Yeah, I know, this thread is mostly language peeves, but it's worth putting this here if only to resurrect this most deserving thread from a fate better than what it's been suffering (a languishment on page 5!)

In a newspaper today (well, Jan. 26, it's past midnight now), I was reading an article about Dave Coulier coming to do his comedy routine here soon. See if you can spot what the author's favourite mistake is (and why the editor needs to be shot for blatantly missing so many of them):
[Quoting Coulier]"I love the George Carlin's and the Chris Rock's of the world, but that's just not my style."

[cut to later in the article where Coulier just finishes talking about a bit he does where he imitates Albert Brooks and Bob Einstein (aka Super Dave Osborne), who are brothers, having a conversation.]

Coulier's impersonates the sibling's perfectly.
Gah! :evil:
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I think I know what Vanya's next 13 avatars are ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012