Pet Intellectual Peeves

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Paucle »

I heard of it- not sure when, maybe when the Yankees were playing Boston, or I was just "schadenfreuding " another Beckett meltdown on national TV it might've been mentioned.

I think I might've taken the same path you did- first heard of the incident, then had to look up was said, then had to look up why it was a slur.

So.... now the translation is "rainy days and (n-words, in essence) always get me down"?
"It's just another manic n-word"? How ironic! Written by one, at that!
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

I had no idea Garfield was such a racist.

Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

I don't think this is a Massachusetts regionalism. I've lived in southeastern Massachusetts my entire life and I have never heard "Monday" used as anything except the day of the week.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Peggles wrote:I don't think this is a Massachusetts regionalism. I've lived in southeastern Massachusetts my entire life and I have never heard "Monday" used as anything except the day of the week.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=monday Number 6. I think someone's either trolling or reaching or whatever the hell.

Oh well, at this rate, EVERY communication will end up a racist slur...finally. Peace and quiet.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Ironically, Volante's link presented another PIP- lack of helping verbs.

(July 2012) If you drive in New York you better read this...

I am seeing this way far, far, more often than I'm seeing it correctly. I'm talking about newspapers and magazines, too.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Paucle wrote:Ironically, Volante's link presented another PIP- lack of helping verbs.

I am seeing this way far, far, more often than I'm seeing it correctly. I'm talking about newspapers and magazines, too.
The ad only targets 52% of the viewing audience.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Paucle wrote:Ironically, Volante's link presented another PIP- lack of helping verbs.

I can't wait for a rock opera category.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

yeah, that song title annoyed the hell out of me in college.
Reading the Hunger Games trilogy was torture. There wasn't a single "had better" or " we'd best" etc. in the entire series. Probably the same editor who allowed should of/ could of/ would of throughout The Kidnaper.[sic]
Onairb
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Onairb »

Paucle wrote:yeah, that song title annoyed the hell out of me in college.
Reading the Hunger Games trilogy was torture. There wasn't a single "had better" or " we'd best" etc. in the entire series. Probably the same editor who allowed should of/ could of/ would of throughout The Kidnaper.[sic]
Prolly. :lol:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Rene#4
Contributor

Post by Rene#4 »

EugeneF wrote:
georgespelvin wrote:Because we need this thread back too.

"Reretaken" is not a word.
No, but it is a name.

:)
Vanya
The support is non-zero

How stupid can people be?

Post by Vanya »

Poster thinks Ken is looking at Watson's answer as it appears on the screen.

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

More youtube idiocy.

Orwell Rolls in His Grave

Not much room to roll in a grave.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Overheard at work today, during a discussion on if we should be drinking milk: "Humans are the only animals that drink another animal's milk."

Now, while I don't wish to get into the discussion on whether we should be drinking milk or not, I will say that argument doesn't help your point at all. These are the two thoughts I had upon hearing that:

Firstly, "so?" Humans are also the only animals to talk, wear clothes, play video games, drive cars, and compete on televised quiz shows. Why should we be like the other animals?

Secondly, I'm not a zoologist, nor is my co-worker, but wouldn't a mule qualify as an animal that drinks another animal's milk?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

dhkendall wrote:Overheard at work today, during a discussion on if we should be drinking milk: "Humans are the only animals that drink another animal's milk."

Now, while I don't wish to get into the discussion on whether we should be drinking milk or not, I will say that argument doesn't help your point at all. These are the two thoughts I had upon hearing that:

Firstly, "so?" Humans are also the only animals to talk, wear clothes, play video games, drive cars, and compete on televised quiz shows. Why should we be like the other animals?

Secondly, I'm not a zoologist, nor is my co-worker, but wouldn't a mule qualify as an animal that drinks another animal's milk?
Yeahbut, mules were created by man.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:Overheard at work today, during a discussion on if we should be drinking milk: "Humans are the only animals that drink another animal's milk."

Actually, what the person meant to say is that humans are the only animal that drinks another animal's milk without killing the other animal first. Lots of animals drink the milk of their dead prey.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

bpmod wrote:

Actually, what the person meant to say is that humans are the only animal that drinks another animal's milk without killing the other animal first. Lots of animals drink the milk of their dead prey.

Brian
http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/an ... es-nursing

Sadly for whoever that was, reality doesn't like to be constrained with slogans that can fit on bumper stickers.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

Volante wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/an ... es-nursing

Sadly for whoever that was, reality doesn't like to be constrained with slogans that can fit on bumper stickers.
It had to be done.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:Actually, what the person meant to say is that humans are the only animal that drinks another animal's milk without killing the other animal first. Lots of animals drink the milk of their dead prey.

Brian
Nah, you're overthinking it here, I *highly* doubt she knew that second part.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012