Pet Intellectual Peeves

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by dhkendall »

Vanya wrote:Speaking of calling countries by the wrong name:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/311427
I see Bogota, I see France ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
GUJeopardyFan
Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: Ya doesn’t hasta call me Johnson

Post by GUJeopardyFan »

OldSchoolChamp wrote:Why did all the media coverage of the 2006 Winter Olympics insist on referring to Torino instead of Turin? If the venue had been Naples or Florence, I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t have called it Napoli or Firenze.

I have no sources to back this up, but I suspect in this particular instance that the IOC selects the way the host city's name will be written and spoken, then requires all of its broadcasters (in the contracts they're all desperate to sign) to say the place name that way. All the Olympic venues are covered in signage with the "official" name of the Olympic host city, and the year. In the "Turin" games, the signage all said "TORINO 2006." I'm guessing the IOC (and NBC, I'm sure) thought it would be confusing if the signage and logos all said one thing, but the broadcasters all said another.

But like I said, this is just a guess on my part.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

GUJeopardyFan wrote:
OldSchoolChamp wrote:Why did all the media coverage of the 2006 Winter Olympics insist on referring to Torino instead of Turin? If the venue had been Naples or Florence, I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t have called it Napoli or Firenze.

I have no sources to back this up, but I suspect in this particular instance that the IOC selects the way the host city's name will be written and spoken, then requires all of its broadcasters (in the contracts they're all desperate to sign) to say the place name that way. All the Olympic venues are covered in signage with the "official" name of the Olympic host city, and the year. In the "Turin" games, the signage all said "TORINO 2006." I'm guessing the IOC (and NBC, I'm sure) thought it would be confusing if the signage and logos all said one thing, but the broadcasters all said another.

That must be why our broadcasters also constantly referred to Roma 1960, Ciudád México 1968, München 1972, Moskva 1980 and Athína 2004.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

gnash wrote:
GUJeopardyFan wrote:

That must be why our broadcasters also constantly referred to Roma 1960, Ciudád México 1968, München 1972, Moskva 1980 and Athína 2004.
It may be precisely because of that dichotomy that sometime after Moscow the "broadcasters must match the IOC terminology" rule was adopted. I say "after Moscow" because all the official IOC logos for 2004 look like this:

(apologies, I don't know how to resize on this)

And, for the record, I only found official IOC logos referring to Munich 1972 and Mexico (not Mexico City, but without the accent) 1968.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

GUJeopardyFan wrote:

I believe it is actually the determination of the host country, not the IOC.
GUJeopardyFan
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by GUJeopardyFan »

gnash wrote:That must be why our broadcasters also constantly referred to Roma 1960, Ciudád México 1968, München 1972, Moskva 1980 and Athína 2004.
I mean the "official as far as the Olympics are concerned" name of the city, not what it is called in the native language...ss DHK points out, none of the 2004 signage said Athína, and I'm guessing none of the 2014 signage will say ???? (Sochi). Somebody (IOC, organizing committee, etc) picks a way the name will be spoken and written (in Roman characters) and everybody follows along.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

My pet peeve is when the SHC contains a bunch of questions I don't know the answer to.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote:My pet peeve is when the SHC contains a bunch of questions I don't know the answer to.
Considering most of the board are intellectuals (rule of joining the board: you're either an intellectual, or dhkendall) that's not a "Pet Intelletcual Peeve", we're all in the same boat.

(Yes, there's Schlie, but he's not human,a s we all know.)

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

GUJeopardyFan wrote: I'm guessing none of the 2014 signage will say ???? (Sochi).
I don't understand this statement. What does it say if not Sochi?
alamble

Post by alamble »

gnash wrote:
GUJeopardyFan wrote: I'm guessing none of the 2014 signage will say ???? (Sochi).
The point is that the signage will say "Sochi" but as written in Roman letters, not the Cyrillic equivalent. (which I assume is also pronounced differently in Russian)
GUJeopardyFan
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by GUJeopardyFan »

alamble wrote:
gnash wrote:
The point is that the signage will say "Sochi" but as written in Roman letters, not the Cyrillic equivalent. (which I assume is also pronounced differently in Russian)
What he said.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

alamble wrote:
gnash wrote:
You cannot say something in Cyrillic. You can only write it in Cyrillic.

And no, that's not a joke answer. Tokyo, Nagano, Sapporo and Beijing have also hosted the Olympics and I do not consider their English names different from their native names just because they are written in Latin script and our pronunciation doesn't exactly match the native one.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

It's not pronounced differently in Russian (although many Russian words are mis-pronounced by English speakers). The official logo has the website name in it (sochi2014.ru), so it has to be in Roman letters.
alamble

Post by alamble »

GUJeopardyFan wrote:
alamble wrote: I'm guessing none of the 2014 signage will say ???? (Sochi).
What he said.[/quote]
That would be "she," actually. :)

Also, this "you can only embed up to three quotes" mandate is a little annoying. I understand the purpose but not all multi-quotes take up yards and yards of space!
GUJeopardyFan
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by GUJeopardyFan »

Oops! Sorry :p
alamble

Post by alamble »

GUJeopardyFan wrote:Oops! Sorry :p
Not a problem. FTR, "a" is short for my first name, which I might reveal if someone can guess it.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

So, if a Russian is constantly murdering his language with horrible puns, is he a Cyrillic Killer?

:::: running like heck ::::
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

georgespelvin wrote:Because we need this thread back too.

"Reretaken" is not a word.

Just out of curiosity.......any relation to Georgina??
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

The devil you say!
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Thread title on another forum I frequent:

"Pet Peeve's"