Pet Intellectual Peeves

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Re: Pet Intellectual Peeves

Post by Vanya »

bpmod wrote: Actually, what the person meant to say is that humans are the only animal that drinks another animal's milk without killing the other animal first. Lots of animals drink the milk of their dead prey.

Brian
Huh? Name one.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Le Master wrote:It had to be done.
Well played.
OCSam
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Vanya wrote:
bpmod wrote: Actually, what the person meant to say is that humans are the only animal that drinks another animal's milk without killing the other animal first. Lots of animals drink the milk of their dead prey.

Brian
Huh? Name one.
OK. Leo. But you can call him whatever you want. He won't respond anyway.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

http://youtu.be/iPJq1SIF3mU

No animals were harmed in the making of this video.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:http://youtu.be/iPJq1SIF3mU

No animals were harmed in the making of this video.
Cute, but not really germane to my original post, as it's talking about an animal (humans) who, almost without exception (leaving aside, of course, the lactose intolerant) drinks the milk of another animal, kittens, by and large, generally don't nurse from anything other than cats.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Seemed like an appropriate place for this one:

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Wow-- really over half a year since we added to this?
Today on Jansing& Co, one of their Sub-Headlines: NRA ALSO ACTIVATING IT'S BASE TO PROTECT GUN RIGHTS. oy. msnbc. With professional writers and, we presume, editors.

And evidently in the search warrant for the Newtown Shooter's house, it listed a japanese sword "with canvass sheath." Does that mean they went house to house to find the sheath?
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Paucle wrote:Wow-- really over half a year since we added to this?
Today on Jansing& Co, one of their Sub-Headlines: NRA ALSO ACTIVATING IT'S BASE TO PROTECT GUN RIGHTS. oy. msnbc. With professional writers and, we presume, editors.

And evidently in the search warrant for the Newtown Shooter's house, it listed a japanese sword "with canvass sheath." Does that mean they went house to house to find the sheath?
Why capitalize shooter? :)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MSNBC They're using Word.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Vanya wrote:

Why capitalize shooter? :)
OK, I'll bite: Same reason we capitalize "Ripper" in Jack the Ripper and Strangler in the Boston Strangler.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
md06john316

Post by md06john316 »

One of my intellectual peeves is poor grammar. I've seen signs written poorly nearly everywhere and it is quite mind boggling how I am one of the few who notices that the grammar is wrong. To that end, one of the greatest grammar jokes that I have seen is

An English professor wrote the words,

“Woman without her man is nothing” on the blackboard and directed his students to punctuate it correctly.

The men wrote: “Woman, without her man, is nothing.”

The women wrote: “Woman: Without her, man is nothing.”
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

A perennially popular (yet strangely absent) Pet Intellectual Peeve -- qualifying absolutes -- gets a new (to me, anyway) twist.

I was doing a little summer vacation research and saw this on the website for the Queen Mary in Long Beach:

NOT JUST UNIQUE .... ONE OF A KIND

http://www.queenmary.com

Can't decide whether to laugh or cry....... OK, I think I'm going to go with laugh :lol:
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

jkbrat wrote:A perennially popular (yet strangely absent) Pet Intellectual Peeve -- qualifying absolutes -- gets a new (to me, anyway) twist.

I was doing a little summer vacation research and saw this on the website for the Queen Mary in Long Beach:

Can't decide whether to laugh or cry....... OK, I think I'm going to go with laugh :lol:
Am I doin' it right?
0:18

I've been seeing this one several times a day lately.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Unfortunately, "unique" long ago stopped meaning only "one of a kind."
My understanding of its current usage is if you want the "pure" version, use it without modifiers. If you want it to mean "unusual or rare," give it some help.

Of course, in your example, they do use the "one of a kind version," then say it again. Essentially, their copy reads, "Not just unique- unique!"
JeopardyMom
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by JeopardyMom »

I'm remembering my high school days and the spring ritual of signing yearbooks.
My sister was not very pleased by the number of people who used the word "unique" in their inscriptions to and about her, because, as she put it, "unique" is just a fancy way of saying, "You odd, child!"
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Sports are filled with cliches that drive me crazy. One is pluralizing a name to specify a type of player. For example,"You don't give a long-term contract to the Mark Sanchezes. you give them to the Peyton Mannings." As if there were more than one Peyton Manning, or Mark Sanchez for that matter.

The other is in football where they call quarterback, running back, and receivers the skill positions. So everything else is an unskilled position? Just once, after a coach says something like,"We're really strong in the skill positions," I'd like to hear a reporter follow-up with,"But how are you doing in the unskilled positions, coach?"
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

I'm so on-board with your pluralizing the singulars! That just grates on me.
For instance, my reaction if someone said that would be, "Well, I don't know about all of them, but the Peyton Manning who plays for the Broncos rates one! And definitely nobody named Mark Sanchez does, because if the only one I've ever heard of doesn't qualify, certainly none of the others who I've never heard of do."
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

jkbrat wrote:A perennially popular (yet strangely absent) Pet Intellectual Peeve -- qualifying absolutes -- gets a new (to me, anyway) twist.

I'm sure there are a somewhat infinite number of such examples, but this one may be the most perfect. It may be time to admit that our preferred usage for "unique" is dead--80 to 90 percent dead anyway.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Paucle wrote:I'm so on-board with your pluralizing the singulars! That just grates on me.
For instance, my reaction if someone said that would be, "Well, I don't know about all of them, but the Peyton Manning who plays for the Broncos rates one! And definitely nobody named Mark Sanchez does, because if the only one I've ever heard of doesn't qualify, certainly none of the others who I've never heard of do."
The sad truth is, broadcasters aren't trying to please the Paucles and silverscreentests. Let alone, the Opera.
the_phil
60% or Bust

Post by the_phil »

silverscreentest wrote:Sports are filled with cliches that drive me crazy
Nothing gets me going more than when commentators describe a quarterback as "efficient" because he throws a lot of short passes but doesn't turn the ball over. If the goal is to move down the field and score, then throwing a lot of short passes is INEFFICIENT.