Friday, March 1, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, March 1, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by John Boy »

TenPoundHammer wrote:That Odessa clue (Places in Texas for $200) has to be one of the most obscure $200s I've ever seen.

Overall, that whole Texas category was a mess, with obscure towns like Tuxedo, Toreador, and Lackland. The Temple clue was the only good one IMO — a somewhat well-known town and a good, easily accessible TOM.
You'd best not voice any such fool Yankee ideas about the obscurity of Odessa if you're ever down Texas way. Not that you ever leave town or anything, though....

The pride of the Permian Basin? Damn straight.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Craig's story for game one? Gee, thanks Alex. What would have been the tale for number two?
I for one don't have a lot of sympathy for Craig on that one. If I had had a bedwetting problem as a child, I think I could have made it to KJ territory in number of games played before I would run out of things to talk about during the interview to the point where I would mention that. Certainly wouldn't be one of the things I put down when they ask for five interesting facts at the auditions.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

bpmod wrote:And while we're on the subject, why can't you take a picture of an arrogant jerk with a wooden leg?

Brian
It would be more practical to take it with a camera.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Congrats to Sara on her continuing excellent performance.

I for one really liked this FJ. I can't imagine many people knew this fact. I certainly didn't. But if you think a second, the desire to know who listens to what radio station back then is pretty much analagous to wanting to know today who watches what television station, and the reasons would be basically identical. So who still does that today? Oh yeah, Nielsen. Lovely TOM clue.
ManceMartell
Contributor

Post by ManceMartell »

I loved that Final Jeopardy question. It required a good bit of thought, but once I made the mental connection it made perfect sense.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I never in a million years would have gotten this FJ, yet it was a forehead slapper. I never associated the name "Nielsen" with anything other than tv ratings, nor did I know anything about his life or when he lived.

Congrats to Sara on another win!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

dhkendall wrote:
Johnblue wrote:That had to have been one of the most bizarre stories the govt librarian could gave told. Admitting to bedwetting on national tv?
True, very odd, but a humorous story. And, except for the fire alarm part, it was something I remember all too well from my youth. (Didn't know the alarm machine was "state of the art", I didn't exactly come from a well-to-do family ..)
I'm not familiar with this type of device. How exactly would it detect an event? I assume there would be some sort of sensor, but where would it go and what would trigger it? Don't look at me like that...I'm just asking for a friend. ;)
OurDailyFred

Post by OurDailyFred »

TenPoundHammer wrote:That Odessa clue (Places in Texas for $200) has to be one of the most obscure $200s I've ever seen.
Uhhh ... not if you're a fan of Bob Wills, king of Western Swing music. As the saying goes, "It don't matter who's in Austin, Bob Wills is still the King!"
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
OurDailyFred

Post by OurDailyFred »

Headpole wrote:What was the question for the "King Albert" answer? I was multi-tasking at the time and missed it.
It was in the Hey "Bert" category so it had to have a "Bert" in the answer, thus making Albert a very reasonable guess, along with Robert.

The question for $600 was "He's the royal dad of Princess Astrid of Belgium."
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Paucle wrote:
Paucle: How could you doubt the wager? It was a guarantee by now.
Not the wager, Mark: the get. I'm reading her face before Alex even shows us her reply. I got nuttin. (But as soon as they showed the reply, I knew she'd won.)
I hope she was nice enough to will have given wagering lessons in the green room when she will have finally been defeated. (Man, that past plufertational tense is tough.)
Ah, apologies. That makes sense.

Sara: Okemos is the same place Matt Ottinger was from when he played Ken Jennings. Did you ever play on Matt's QuizBusters show?
Yeah, I played quizbowl in high school, and our school did QuizBusters every year.
OurDailyFred

Post by OurDailyFred »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Add me to the list that thought of France due to St. Pierre and Miquelon. To me Greenland seems a little far away from Canada to be considered "off the coast of Canada," or however it was phrased.
it was phrased, "Has a territory just off Canada even though it is 1,300 miles away."
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

dhkendall wrote:Less than 100 miles from Canada's Ellesmere Island. In fact, there's an island, Hans Island, in the middle of the channel between Ellesmere and Greenland that's disputed between the two countries. There have been suggestions to divide the island between them, if that happened, Canada and Greenland / Denmark would actually share a land border!
Here's a link to a science fiction short story, The Coldest War by Matthew Johnson, about the front lines of a war between Canada and Denmark over Hans Island. It's not really a futuristic war story. It's more an arctic survival story with science fiction elements.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

$2500 is just such a beautiful number. Ooh, $2500! I think it's just perfect for every, single, solitary Daily Double bet you might ever want to make, especially if it's very late in the game, and ESPECIALLY if it's likely to be the last clue in the game. In fact, maybe they could make $2500 the mandatory DD bet and thus eliminate all that silly thinking about what the bet should be. Oh, wait... Two games in a row.

I will say that it was entertaining watching Craig come from a negative to the lead, and that made the stupid--yeah, there's just no other word for it--DD bet all the more disappointing. I don't yell at the TV often.

Count me among those who think the Denmark clue was poorly done. It's 1300 miles away? From what? From the point where it's also close to Canada? Cuz not. And, knowing about St Pierre and Miquelon, and not knowing the distance from there to France, that was my answer. So, maybe the range does eliminate France, but it was all very clumsy
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Johnblue wrote:That had to have been one of the most bizarre stories the govt librarian could gave told. Admitting to bedwetting on national tv?

Good game overall. 3 straight weeks of FJ but this one didn't come right away. I also thought of St. Pierre!
Not only that, but he chose it out of the three "fun facts" the contestant coordinators gave him to pick from. That story can make it on the air, but Kristin's breast cancer story couldn't? Oy. :roll:
ManceMartell
Contributor

Post by ManceMartell »

southsidehitman wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Thanks Alex for making me feel worse about guessing Napoleon a half second before Lafayette came to me. I had another first instinct/want it back immediately miss in the DJ round with BuddyRich$%&#GeneKrupa.
I clammed on that one, even after Buddy Rich, thinking that the correct response would have been Max Roach and not Krupa. Instincts served me well there again, as usual. Should listen to those more often!
Max Roach is black, so that picture definitely wasn't of him. Also as a jazz drummer, Krupa was the guy that basically invented drumming as most people know it. I still maintain he was better than Buddy. Additionally I'm surprised they've had two drummer categories in the past two weeks.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

StevenH wrote:I never associated the name "Nielsen" with anything other than tv ratings, nor did I know anything about his life or when he lived.
Which is EXACTLY why I didn't pull the trigger on Nielsen, even though his name was in my head.
OurDailyFred wrote:
Uhhh ... not if you're a fan of Bob Wills, king of Western Swing music. As the saying goes, "It don't matter who's in Austin, Bob Wills is still the King!"
I knew that already. :mrgreen:
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

bpmod wrote:And while we're on the subject, why can't you take a picture of an arrogant jerk with a wooden leg?
Hmm. You've got me stumped.

Sara, you're a lot of fun to watch. So how many times has someone used the New Girl adjective "adorkable" to describe you?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

jeff6286 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
True, very odd, but a humorous story. And, except for the fire alarm part, it was something I remember all too well from my youth. (Didn't know the alarm machine was "state of the art", I didn't exactly come from a well-to-do family ..)
I'm not familiar with this type of device. How exactly would it detect an event? I assume there would be some sort of sensor, but where would it go and what would trigger it? Don't look at me like that...I'm just asking for a friend. ;)
I can answer this, being from a household where a bedwetter lived. I don't know if our machine was the same as described, but it basically had two screens (for lack of a better word) separated by a sheet of fabric. If any conductive liquid were to pass through them, it would close the circuit and electrocute the unsuspecting set off the alarm. Just like in Craig's story, in our house it would awaken everybody except the 'perpetrator', who continued on in peaceful slumber while all hell broke loose around him.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Add me to the list of people who didn't love the Denmark/Greenland/France/StP&M clue.

I think the hypothesis expressed by another commenter is plausible -- maybe the writers didn't think of St Pierre & Miquelon when composing the clue. I agree that if they had, including a word like "kingdom" in the clue would have been better.

I said "France" at home, thinking of St. Pierre and Miquelon.

To me, the words "just off Canada" suggest something small, not far from the coast of Canada. I wouldn't argue that that's part of the definition of "just off", but those words do suggest smallness to me. (Although, to be fair, Greenland is indeed a lot smaller than Canada.)

(I sort of feel like not all of Greenland is "just off" Canada -- only the west coast of Greenland is. It sounds like a weird way of describing Greenland as a whole.)

I also thought the Odessa clue in the Texas category may have been a little undervalued. Not impossibly obscure or anything, but maybe a little obscure for $200.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Add me to the list that thought of France due to St. Pierre and Miquelon. To me Greenland seems a little far away from Canada to be considered "off the coast of Canada," or however it was phrased.
bpmod wrote:Here is the Greenland clue, just in case anybody was wondering about the wording:

Brian
OurDailyFred wrote:it was phrased, "Has a territory just off Canada even though it is 1,300 miles away."
Yup! That's the way it was phrased. Sure wish I had said that. :mrgreen:

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.