Friday, March 1, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CJS

Re: Friday, March 1, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CJS »

I know I'm going to be in the minority, but I was ok with Craig's wagering for the following reasons:
1.) If the category is one of a player's strongsuits, then the natural thing to do is to wager enough to extend the lead.
2.) The point of Jeopardy is knowledge of various subjects (history, science, arts, entertainment, sports, etc.) Probability is not among them :lol: Seriously though, if you know enough stuff, you don't need strategy; you just have to get enough questions right.
3.) If Craig had gotten the DD right, there would be no need for this conversation ;)

And if any of you ever appear on Jeopardy and do what Craig did, your comments towards Craig count as permission to call you an idiot for your Jeopardy play :D

Also, lay off TPH. Not everyone knows these types of things.

For fans of a game show with class, most of you act like arrogant jerks.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Can we put that Odessa clue in the poll? I want to see if anyone got it.
I got it, but I'm old enough to remember The Odessa File (the movie, that is; it fit the description of the book).
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Instaget FJ, thought it might be a triple get for the contestants, but Sarnoff wasn't a terrible stab I guess.
Was a bit worried waiting for Sara's reveal at the end- she didn't seem happy. (Now I know- definitely someone I'd not want to go up against in Texas Hold'em. Totally unreadable!)
75k in 3 days. That's some nice scratch!
Headpole
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Headpole »

What was the question for the "King Albert" answer? I was multi-tasking at the time and missed it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I did not get the Odessa File, but I have heard of it before, just couldn't pull it out.

Yes, getting that DD right extends his lead, but a small bet guarantees his lead going into FJ. It doesn't matter how well you like the category, don't put your lead at risk that late in the game.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Headpole wrote:What was the question for the "King Albert" answer? I was multi-tasking at the time and missed it.
Something about an ascended can.
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

I'm going to feel guilty about this, but I'm going to count FJ as an assist today. Dad came up with Nielsen, and I figured it was better than any question I was going to come up with.

EU was deceptively difficult for me. Said Austria for Poland and Germany for Austria, not to mention clamming on Greece (which I don't think is small, but I knew it wasn't the Vatican or Italy).

I always get the two tropic lines mixed up, so that required conscious thought for the answer, but I got it. Something I might want to remember if this comes up again: I was born in late December and am therefore a Capricorn. Since my birthday is in the winter, the Tropic of Capricorn has to be in the southern hemisphere, so it's the Tropic of Cancer that's in the north.

No comment about TPH. I struggle at Jeopardy too, idiotic mistakes and all.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

StrangerCoug wrote:
I always get the two tropic lines mixed up, so that required conscious thought for the answer, but I got it. Something I might want to remember if this comes up again: I was born in late December and am therefore a Capricorn. Since my birthday is in the winter, the Tropic of Capricorn has to be in the southern hemisphere, so it's the Tropic of Cancer that's in the north.
In a more general way, I remember them because Cancer has fewer letters = further north, and it comes before Capricorn--more letters = further south. Of course, this only works if one is used to looking at a map of the earth with the north at the top.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
CyrusChan
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CyrusChan »

I am pretty sure that Paris and France will be on Craig's mind for sometime. I also went with France on that clue as I remember something about St. Pierre et Miquelon.

I also got Austria from the clue about skiiing because I remember an article about South Tyrol's(Northern Italy and it is near Innsbrouck) mountains and scenery. A big note that the writer left was that it is suggested that travellers speak some German, hence, that clue was an insta-get for me. :D

Also, please excuse my lack of knowledge, but for those who know, could they possibly share with me what was "installed" for these radios? Any response pertaining to so is greatly appreciated and you always learn something new each day!! :D
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

nlw44 wrote:
StrangerCoug wrote:
In a more general way, I remember them because Cancer has fewer letters = further north, and it comes before Capricorn--more letters = further south. Of course, this only works if one is used to looking at a map of the earth with the north at the top.
I remember it from how they would appear alphabetically.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

CJS wrote:I know I'm going to be in the minority, but I was ok with Craig's wagering for the following reasons:
1.) If the category is one of a player's strongsuits, then the natural thing to do is to wager enough to extend the lead.
I'm not sure what you mean by "natural", but it certainly wasn't logical in this situation if Craig's goal was to win. At that point in the game, adding $2,500 to Craig's score would not have fundamentally changed the game. Before the DD, he had the lead, but not a lock, and not even a crush. Adding $2,500 wouldn't have changed any of that. In other words, the matrix of possible FJ outcomes was unchanged. Losing $2,500 drastically changed the game because it put him in second place. Thus, his $2,500 wager offered tremendous downside and no benefit in terms of his chances of winning the game. It's just illogical.
CJS wrote:Seriously though, if you know enough stuff, you don't need strategy; you just have to get enough questions right.
Perhaps so, but even if you know everything, you still might get beat on the buzzer most of the time. Good strategy is essential if a contestant wants to maximize the chances of winning.
CJS wrote:If Craig had gotten the DD right, there would be no need for this conversation ;)
If Craig had gotten the DD right, then he would have avoided the consequences of his illogical decision, but it wouldn't have made the decision any more logical.

p.s. If Craig is reading this, none of this is meant as a personal criticism - just an analysis of strategy. You played a great game, and I was especially impressed that you seemed unfazed by being in the red and proceeded to make a remarkable comeback.

p.p.s. I didn't catch Craig's middle initial. Anyone know if it's J?? ;)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

CJS wrote:Also, lay off TPH. Not everyone knows these types of things.

You haven't been around as long as most of us. You will learn more about us if you stick around. There are some arrogant jerks around here. But, most? Definitely not.

As for TPH, see above. If you stick around long enough, you'll learn.
BigDaddyJ wrote:p.p.s. I didn't catch Craig's middle initial. Anyone know if it's J?? ;)
There is a Craig J. Sallinger in Washington DC.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
southsidehitman
Has Been in Cliff Clavin's Kitchen

Post by southsidehitman »

Alrighty. Long time J! watcher, shorter time board lurker, new poster here. :)

Odd game tonight. Did not like the homophones category (seemed too easy/gimmicky for the show) and Texas was very obscure in general. Only one I got in the Texas category was Tuxedo (I responded Tuxedo Junction; I think that's close enough for an accept, but maybe not?). FJ was an instaget for me.

And let me add my congrats to ComingUpMilhouse! Good run so far!
Last edited by southsidehitman on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Well, I'm not quite ready, so I'm gonna do it now."
Agggron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Agggron »

Welcome, SouthSideHitman!

I haven't been watching many recent games, so several of the 'easier' J! categories went 0/5 (actually, most did lol). I did think Odessa was really obscure for a top-row clue, and my mind wasn't anywhere near Greece on the EU question.

The category 'chicken parts' gave me hope for a food category, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. I do like my Greek history questions though. <3

Hmm...guessed Warner Brothers, and probably never would have gotten to Nielsen. Oh well. :x
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

Now I feel kind of weird being the second new poster in a short span. I swear I'm a real person.

Oddly, like Craig, my mind defaulted to St. Pierre and Miquelon, which may just be a case of knowing too much for your own good; I don't really think of Greenland as being "right off Canada" in the way St. Pierre is. My quibble is with the clue as a whole, though. While 1300 miles is not nearly enough to be the distance between St. Pierre and France, and so ruling Craig wrong was certainly valid, it's also not nearly enough to be the distance between Greenland and Denmark proper. As far as I can tell it's the distance between Greenland and the Faroe Islands. The Faroe Islands ARE part of Denmark, of course, but like Greenland they're only a territory and like Greenland they have home rule. Even if the ultimate adjudication was correct, I think it was a bad clue and an unfortunate one to effectively decide the game.

That said, I've enjoyed the quality of play so far post-TOC. Maybe I haven't watched enough recently but it feels like they've done a good job balancing the contestants so that all three are competitive throughout the game. And even if he fell short, well done by Craig to rally from that hole he'd been in! I probably would have frozen up at that stage. And well done by Sara too to keep rolling.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thanks Alex for making me feel worse about guessing Napoleon a half second before Lafayette came to me. I had another first instinct/want it back immediately miss in the DJ round with BuddyRich$%&#GeneKrupa.

Melissa's daughter is: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=7798

I could tell by Melissa's telling of the story what the archive would show for Sam's result.

Craig's story for game one? Gee, thanks Alex. What would have been the tale for number two?

Strange first round for me with 24 and four right in each category.

The FJ category is not what I want to see with a 4/4 week going. The clue is exactly what I want to see because a second after dismissing Hertz I figured out it had to be Neilsen. I think it will rate about a 65 share.

Way to go Sara to run the week of regular play. Paucle: How could you doubt the wager? It was a guarantee by now.

Craig did well to shake off the time in red to have the lead after the 57th clue of the game. If he didn't want to ensure the lead after #58 then $2000 is the reward. I guess it's easier at home to know that DD would conclude the round.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:Craig's story for game one? Gee, thanks Alex. What would have been the tale for number two?
No, no, Sarah's story was the one that mentioned number two.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CJS wrote:I know I'm going to be in the minority, but I was ok with Craig's wagering for the following reasons:
2.) The point of Jeopardy is knowledge of various subjects (history, science, arts, entertainment, sports, etc.) Probability is not among them :lol: Seriously though, if you know enough stuff, you don't need strategy; you just have to get enough questions right.
3.) If Craig had gotten the DD right, there would be no need for this conversation ;)

And if any of you ever appear on Jeopardy and do what Craig did, your comments towards Craig count as permission to call you an idiot for your Jeopardy play :D

Also, lay off TPH. Not everyone knows these types of things.

1. If you hit a DD while you're in the lead, any wager will extend the lead; there's no such thing as "enough to extend the lead." And if the category is a strong suit, why not bet it all and give yourself the lock?
2. I don't care how much I know, if I can guarantee myself the lead going into FJ, I'm making a bet that allows me to do that. If Jeopardy was purely a knowledge game, there wouldn't be Daily Doubles and Final Jeopardy.
3. Nearly five years ago, my dad won a game after a bad DD wager. We still talk about how bad it was.

I once hit a DD with $17,000, only a $400 and $800 clue remaining on the board, and a my nearest opponent at $6,400. I mentally added $1,200 to his score and doubled it to get $15,200, and wagered $1,600 to stay ahead of that.

My issue is not with people who don't know things, but ascribing not knowing something to the obscurity of the clue, rather than to its having hit one of the many self-admitted holes in their knowledge base. We're not arrogant, we're serious about the game.

Edit: For doing light damage to beers, I said "box bocks."
Last edited by seaborgium on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Craig's story for game one? Gee, thanks Alex. What would have been the tale for number two?
No, no, Sarah's story was the one that mentioned number two.
I really liked that Sara's story got Alex to say the word "poop."
AdamAnt
Valued Contributor

Post by AdamAnt »

I think I fell asleep during Double Jeopardy! on account of I can't recall all too much of the clues and answers. I guess that's what I get for watching it at 10:30PM.

My radio colleagues and professors don't need to know that I didn't get FJ! right. I had De Forest, Sarnoff, Fessenden and Marconi swimming through my mind but did Nielsen ever cross my mind? Noooooooo. Talk about embarrassing!

Congrats once again to Sara for yet another strong victory!