2013-14 Tournament of Champions Standings

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

zdude69closedrofl
Valued Contributor

Re: 2013-14 Tournament of Champions Standings

Post by zdude69closedrofl »

I'm guessing they're going to do what they did with the 2001 ToC and hold off all future 5x+ champions for next year. So the list would go from Chu to Peffer, along with the College/Teacher winners. Unless one of the competitors can't make it. I dunno. Personally I like the list as it is.
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

Mathew5000 wrote:I say, leave it to February 2015 and invent a new format for 24 entrants. That way the two 4-timers should make it in and probably ComingUpMilhouse too.

I'm bored of the 15-player tournament format. There's a few ways you could have a 24 player tournament in three weeks.
Hmm...27 players is better. 9 quarterfinal games, each producing a semifinalist, followed by a 2-day final. Similar to SJ!, I know, but the SFs wouldn't be held in between the quarterfinal games. We'd have:
1. Jim Coury (College 2013)
2. John Pearson (Teacher’s 2013)
3. Terry O’Shea (College 2014)
4. Arthur Chu – 11-time
5. Ben Ingram – 8-time
6. Julia Collins – 8-time*
7. Drew Horwood – 8-time
8. Jared Hall – 6-time
9. Sandie Baker – 6-time
10. Andrew Moore – 6-time
11. Jerry Slowik – 5-time
12. Joshua Brakhage – 5-time
13. Rebecca Rider – 5-time
14. Sarah McNitt – 5-time
15. Rani Peffer – 5-time
16. Mark Japinga – 4-time
17. Mike Lewis – 4-time
18. Carlos Ross – 3-time
19. Adam Holquist – 3-time
20. Sara Garnett – 3-time
21. Salvo Candela – 3-time
22. Neal Pollack – 3-time
23. John Anneken – 3-time
24. Tim Anderson – 3-time
25. Stuart Anderson – 3-time
26. Bill Tolany – 3-time

*still playing
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

nealpollack wrote:I favor any format that would allow me a chance to play again. Unfortunately, that format will only occur in a Fantasyland Miracle Reality.
You're welcome to join me and Salvo for our Tournament of Lesser Champions. There'll be less money, but (probably) more drinking. ;)
nealpollack
Contributor

Post by nealpollack »

I accept your invitation to the TOC NIT!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

If you all make it to TCONA this year, we will make this happen.
nealpollack
Contributor

Post by nealpollack »

This is a possibility!
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:If you all make it to TCONA this year, we will make this happen.
At this point, I'm planning to go to TCONA. I would definitely watch this!
gogojo
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by gogojo »

For those that have played in a tournament: Do the contestants that have not yet played in the quarterfinals get to watch the games? Questioning since they would have an idea of how much to wager to get one of the wildcard spots.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

TCONA sounds like a lot of fun--except for the Vegas in August part. :shock: (Better August than July.)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

gogojo wrote:For those that have played in a tournament: Do the contestants that have not yet played in the quarterfinals get to watch the games? Questioning since they would have an idea of how much to wager to get one of the wildcard spots.
No. They are sequestered and have no idea of the wagers.
SwanShadow
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by SwanShadow »

Carpe Diem wrote:TCONA sounds like a lot of fun--except for the Vegas in August part. :shock: (Better August than July.)
I believe the phrase you're searching for is "air conditioning." They have it. In abundance. :)

In all seriousness, TCONA is one of my favorite weekends of the year. Oodles of trivia-related fun to be had, plus an opportunity to meet and/or reconnect with fellow J! folk whom I don't see in person otherwise.

If you're truly heat-averse, you can stay indoors swathed in recirculated coolness the entire time between trips to and from the airport. I don't recommend that, necessarily, but... it's an option. :D
Michael Rankins
ToC '88; Super J! '90; BoBAB '98; UToC '05; BotD Fan Favorite Reject, '14
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

SwanShadow wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:TCONA sounds like a lot of fun--except for the Vegas in August part. :shock: (Better August than July.)
I believe the phrase you're searching for is "air conditioning." They have it. In abundance. :)
Next you'll be telling me that it's a dry heat. ;)
(Actually, it is a dry heat compared to my neck of the woods.)
SwanShadow wrote:If you're truly heat-averse, you can stay indoors swathed in recirculated coolness the entire time between trips to and from the airport.
Yes, please! :mrgreen:
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Carpe Diem wrote:
SwanShadow wrote:
Next you'll be telling me that it's a dry heat. ;)
(Actually, it is a dry heat compared to my neck of the woods.)
It's a dry heat compared to about anywhere apart from the Atacama.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

Woof wrote:It's a dry heat compared to about anywhere apart from the Atacama.
Atacama, nice.
Woof FTW!
AntmanB
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by AntmanB »

I hate when this gets buried
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

So still there's only 15 people who have either won a CC or the TT or 5 games. So depending on when they do this thing, all this talk of expanded field may be unnessecary (bringin 3-day champs back? Really? I mean, don't get me wrong, if I won three games I'd be pushing for that, but looking as an outsider.... unless they won like $120,000 in those three days not even a ghost of a chance).

As for an expanded Tournament, I feel the easiest option is to make it 18, 21, 24, or 27 players, thus adding 1, 2, 3, or 4 QF games (respectively) in the previous week, and lowering the number of Wild Cards to 3, 2, 1 or 0 (respectively). Then play out the final week the traditional way. (yes, the 27-player version of this is essentially a 3-round single-elimination tournament, i.e., the same format as SJ! minus the four-player first round) If for some reason someone is concerned about this not being "fair," then make the jackpot $300,000 this time around and give an extra $2,500 or so to non-WC QFists. Again, though, this may be moot.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
jeopardyhopeful
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyhopeful »

Julia won 20 games, right?

What will happen if Molly wins six games but wins a lot less money than all the five-game winners? Will the wins take precendence for the ToC purposes?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeopardyhopeful wrote:Will the wins take precendence for the ToC purposes?
Wins always take precedence. A 6-time champ who won every game $1-0-0 will get in before a 5-timer who won $300,000.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

So the question is, should Molly win 6 or more games, will she play in the next ToC or the one after that? In other words, would TPTB have a hard date cutoff on further contestants for the next ToC whereby no one new gets in regardless of how many wins they amass or could a "superchampion" knock a five timer to a future ToC?
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
tbk

Post by tbk »

georgespelvin wrote:So the question is, should Molly win 6 or more games, will she play in the next ToC or the one after that? In other words, would TPTB have a hard date cutoff on further contestants for the next ToC whereby no one new gets in regardless of how many wins they amass or could a "superchampion" knock a five timer to a future ToC?
It would certainly be a shame if a 5 timer was denied entry into the TOC simply because of the BOTD. If they have too many qualified people, they should split them up somehow.