2013-14 Tournament of Champions Standings

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2013-14 Tournament of Champions Standings

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote:Just because they said it will tape on September 29 doesn't mean the current field is locked. They could have just given it to the players so they could save the date and any future five timers could bump someone.
Is anyone FB friends with Rani? What's on her page?
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

MarkBarrett wrote:
RKane wrote:Rooting for Arthur, expecting Ben to win. Expecting those two in the final, along with either Jerry or Jared. Sandie I expect to do the best of the women, and has an outside chance of making the final.
That's five names without mentioning Andrew Moore. Did you see his games?
No, for some reason I am not recalling him. I may have been away. Was he really good? Looking at his stats, it appears that he was. Whatever happens, this should be one of the better tournaments.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

Bamaman wrote:Just because they said it will tape on September 29 doesn't mean the current field is locked. They could have just given it to the players so they could save the date and any future five timers could bump someone.
If my theory is correct the field became locked when Julia Collins lost and ended her run, and any 5+ timers between then and the Fall 2014 ToC would play in the following one (in Season 32).
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

I would like to add that special support to toc members who post here.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

Hooray, Sarah and Rebecca! Wishing you best of luck (almost wrote retroactive luck, but I'll save that for when it airs).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

periwinkle wrote:Hooray, Sarah and Rebecca! Wishing you best of luck (almost wrote retroactive luck, but I'll save that for when it airs).
Yes, and good luck to all the other boardies as well. Thank you for your insight, participation and contributions to daily game threads, polls and extra games. Out of 15 in the field have we had an appearance from:

Joshua Brakhage
Rani Peffer
John Pearson
Sandie Baker
Julia Collins

I feel like the other 10 have shown up here in one way or another. It's 11/16 counting Mark Japinga.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

MarkBarrett wrote:
periwinkle wrote:Hooray, Sarah and Rebecca! Wishing you best of luck (almost wrote retroactive luck, but I'll save that for when it airs).
Yes, and good luck to all the other boardies as well. Thank you for your insight, participation and contributions to daily game threads, polls and extra games. Out of 15 in the field have we had an appearance from:

Joshua Brakhage
Rani Peffer
John Pearson
Sandie Baker
Julia Collins

I feel like the other 10 have shown up here in one way or another. It's 11/16 counting Mark Japinga.
Well, two were referenced in the post you quoted.

Also, there's A. Chu.
OCSam
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OrangeSAM wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:

Joshua Brakhage
Rani Peffer
John Pearson
Sandie Baker
Julia Collins

Also, there's A. Chu.
Would you care to read my post again, please? Of course I know that Sarah, Rebecca and Arthur are regulars here. It was the five I cannot peg for appearing on the board I wondered about in my post. I know about the 11 counting the alternate who have made themselves known.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

OrangeSAM wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:

Joshua Brakhage
Rani Peffer
John Pearson
Sandie Baker
Julia Collins

Also, there's A. Chu.
Mark's asking if those 5 listed have posted on the board, in addition to the other 10. It seemed to me like I had a recollection of Rani posting, under a name like ranipeffer or rpeffer, but searching the boards's members list doesn't seem to provide any evidence. I must have imagined it.

Oops, Mark beat me to the clarification. Your post was missing a question mark, Mark, so I could see how someone might misread it.
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

Apologies for the bump, but there now seems to be official confirmation that Jerry Slowik will not be competing in the TOC for reasons mentioned in another thread. What it means for now is that Mark Japinga is still alive for a spot (and may already have it, in fact).
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

UniquePerspective wrote:Apologies for the bump, but there now seems to be official confirmation that Jerry Slowik will not be competing in the TOC for reasons mentioned in another thread. What it means for now is that Mark Japinga is still alive for a spot (and may already have it, in fact).
Assuming the TofC is airing in November sweeps and the season starts 9/15, there's about seven or eight weeks of regular games before the TofC(assuming no other special programming before then).
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

Correct, I just thought there was prior implication that the field was locked from other people.
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

UniquePerspective wrote:Correct, I just thought there was prior implication that the field was locked from other people.
I think what they meant was that originally since the field was already full of 5+ and tournament winners then any more 5+ winners would be bumped to the next ToC. Since Jerry isn't participating now the next spot will go to the next qualifier if there's one - only if we do not have another 5+ winner before the ToC taping will Mark Japinga be in the running.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

This might explain why I *still* haven't received flight information. I'm starting to get irked.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

NYCScribbler wrote:This might explain why I *still* haven't received flight information. I'm starting to get irked.
The BOTD contestants did not have things taken care of in a timely manner either. Monday was a holiday and some people like to shoot the week. I'm sure you will get everything handled soon.