Fun with avatars

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Fun with avatars

Post by dhkendall »

BigDaddyJ wrote:From the standpoint of sheer geekery, this is a really cool development. However, one of the nice things about people having relatively static avatars is that it makes the conversation easy to follow once you start associating certain avatars (or at least certain types of avatars, as in the case of Vanya) with certain people. It will be interesting to see how that dynamic changes if many people start doing this.
I do agree with this, it does help having a static avatar. (That's part of the reason I went back to my Mii avatar, I'll probably keep it until I'm on the show and I can get a shot of me with Alex or something. It makes it easy for me to find my own posts.)

However, if Vanya's going to do what I no doubt think he's going to do, I am all for it. :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

bpmod wrote:And that even though the two boardies that were present when two of the pictures were taken (that is one boardie was present at one location and another at another) have not weighed in.
Interestingly, the avatar I'm seeing is the picture for which I was present.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

trainman wrote:
bpmod wrote:And that even though the two boardies that were present when two of the pictures were taken (that is one boardie was present at one location and another at another) have not weighed in.
Interestingly, the avatar I'm seeing is the picture for which I was present.
Probably not for long, though.

We have to do it again soon!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Hmmm... I found a glitch. It looks like the pictures all need to be the same size (and aspect ratio), or they get the size of whatever one the randomizer fed to JBoard's user panel when the url was entered.

Yuck!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

So when can we expect it?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Vanya wrote:So when can we expect it?
I have decided that the glitch mentioned in my previous post makes the effect less than desirable. So, I am not going to 'release' it. If you'd like to try it out, I've sent you a PM.

Brian

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

bpmod wrote:
Vanya wrote:So when can we expect it?
I have decided that the glitch mentioned in my previous post makes the effect less than desirable. So, I am not going to 'release' it. If you'd like to try it out, I've sent you a PM.

Brian
I am reconsidering. Is there anybody else here, besides Vanya and me, who might find this useful?

Brian

TheGrandPiano
Very Official Member

Post by TheGrandPiano »

The only thing I wanted to say is that while you and Vanya would be very recognizable with a cycle avatar since he has had many different women pictures and you have had many different geographic locations, others may be harder to recognize right away through a changing avatar. I have come to automatically identify some people through their constant image. Of course, this could be easily solved through just looking at the username.

Not that this would be a problem for others; just a thought.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TheGrandPiano wrote:The only thing I wanted to say is that while you and Vanya would be very recognizable with a cycle avatar since he has had many different women pictures and you have had many different geographic locations, others may be harder to recognize right away through a changing avatar. I have come to automatically identify some people through their constant image. Of course, this could be easily solved through just looking at the username.

Not that this would be a problem for others; just a thought.
One thing I should mention again in case it got lost in my earlier posts, is that this has uses other than simply randomizing avatars.

It can be a gallery where you can save as many (or as few) pictures as you might wish to use as avatars to be called upon (or shared with others) at any time.

It is also useful for converting a picture which would not fit into JBoard's guidelines for avatars into one that does. It can shrink & crop and can even change a png or gif into a jpg (or vicey versey).

I am also open to ideas that other boardies might come up with to extend the functionality even further.

And I'm not trying to force anybody to use it. I'm just throwing it out there in case anybody finds it useful.

Brian

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

As if I weren't having enough fun with my avatars, I just uploaded a picture and shrunk it to 16x16 pixels. Then I set it to stretch in my settings.

Can anybody tell what it is?

Brian

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bpmod wrote:Can anybody tell what it is?

Brian
It looks like a sign of some sort. Maybe a "Welcome to..." sign?
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Yeah, I was going to say that it looked like a sign you might see on the side of a highway. (And therefore, possibly, a "welcome to" sign, as econgator said.)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Edit: For future reference, this is the picture as it was seen when these posts were made:

Yes, a sign by the side of the highway. Correct. And, also correct, a "Welcome to" type sign.

If you really really know your welcome signs, you might be able to discern what place is welcoming you. I am going back to random. The sign should come up clearly once in a while.

And, if you'd like to see how well you did, this is (a slightly different crop of) the original picture;
Spoiler
Brian

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

bpmod wrote:It is also useful for converting a picture which would not fit into JBoard's guidelines for avatars into one that does. It can shrink & crop and can even change a png or gif into a jpg (or vicey versey).
For example, you can feed it this:

And it will give you something like

this

or this

or this

Or you could give it this

And it can give you this

These are just some examples. It's limited only by imagination.

Brian

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I think that's the side of my head!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

alietr wrote:I think that's the side of my head!
Where? In the Jeopardy! audience?

Brian

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Well it ain't the statue!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

That's not you sittin' in that big chair?

But seriously, I think you weren't there on Friday morning when I took that particular pic.

Brian

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Then maybe it isn't me. Pretty hard to tell anyway.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I'm doing some experimenting with rotating too.

The results thus far are less than stellar.

Brian