Monday, March 4, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TryphonTournesol
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, March 4, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TryphonTournesol »

a1srvng wrote:I excuse myself from Jeopardy for life if anyone thought for a moment that this was an"instaget". The game descended into a poker bet when that question manifested itself. Jeopardy lost a really good contestant to an inane happenstance of frightened betting which totally negated the supposed object of the game.

I still don't get it. Thousands of colleges in the U.S and we're supposed to know the peculiar mascots of Georgia Tech?
A few people here seem to have found it be so; I'm not one of them. But with that said, "the Ramblin' Wreck of Georgia Tech" is pretty famous by most standards.
julycoaron
Contributor

Post by julycoaron »

"Actually, there's a female version, too, who is named Alberta."

"Does she live in Vancouver?"

I get the reference. LOL.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

"What's a mechanical-sounding mascot? Ummm, Boilermakers? What college are they? Purdue, I think." Given my ability on college knowledge, that was a moral victory.

I thought, "Dylan's not going to lose on a triple stumper." He could have, but only on a particularly small wager from Erin. She overwagered, but only by $1,000; the only winning wager from her I could imagine a contestant making is $1,200 (for the even $10k).

I can understand and pick apart underwagers to some degree, but an underwager ending in 01? Why? Did he think, "If I were Sara, I'd bet $2,000 to protect my lead, so I'll bet $4,001 to beat that wager if we're both right," or "Take my cover wager over Erin and subtract my lead" for some reason?
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

Instaget for me.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:For the record, I went 0/5 in Chess, Exile, TV, Erupt, Olympics, and Geographical Titles. Of course.
Oh, thank goodness. I can update my records.
southsidehitman
Has Been in Cliff Clavin's Kitchen

Post by southsidehitman »

OKlibrarian wrote: I hope that'll be a low %, because I drew a complete blank and I work in higher ed. In the South. I went U of Michigan to say something. Considered a Detroit area school but the only ones that came to mind seemed too small to likely be a FJ response.
I knew it wasn't Michigan (or any Midwestern-based) school - growing up in Chicago, I followed the Big Ten and MAC pretty closely and would have remembered any references to an old car. Seeing as I didn't pay much attention to ACC athletics, doesn't surprise me that I didn't come close.

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
southsidehitman wrote:Was surprised at how easy the J round seemed. DJ was about average I thought, and FJ clipped me - I didn't have a real clue and went with Murray State, knowing that they were the Racers but thinking that might have been too obscure a correct response.

One thing I noticed, though, and I'm curious to hear the answer, is Sara's timing on the buzzer - you (Sara) seemed very anxious to jump in on some of the clues, and others a bit more relaxed on the buzzer. Were you anticipating certain clues to go faster than others? And did you recognize when you were on certain categories that you probably knew more about than your opponents?
I don't remember exactly how this broke down, but I was probably more anxious about getting in on clues that seemed easier. I also did some anxious buzzing when the clue was on something I was a fan of and I wanted to get it (this at least worked for Parks and Rec).
Thanks! And congratulations. Loved seeing a Michigander win big on J! - my wife is originally from GR so we have some ties back there :)
"Well, I'm not quite ready, so I'm gonna do it now."
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

Leander wrote:I haven't seen the show yet but was spoiled on the FJ question by reading the NY Times this morning with their daily FJ preview, which I try to avoid but it was staring me in the face. Had to think a bit and took an educated guess, and I was right.

Not surprised it was a triple stumper - I'll be curious to see how people here do.
I went with the Mustangs of SMU. --Bob
Jasoni22
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Jasoni22 »

Georgia Tech not a football power? What do you call going 6-6, winning your division, and then having to petition the NCAA to play in a bowl game with a losing record? :P

And the only good connection between SMU and sports cars is that's what they used to give their top recruits :P (ah, the good ol' days of the SWC -- I think I heard a story that A&M gave Craig James a sports car when he came on a recruiting visit, and when he left, he drove that car straight to SMU and gave them his commit -- sounds like something he'd do)

OK, OK, I'm done. Tough FJ. I didn't get it, and I'm a huge college sports fan (if you couldn't tell by my avatar). Seems like those who knew it mostly went to ACC schools. If it were about a Big 12 or SEC school instead, I'd have been all over it.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Jasoni22 wrote:...and I'm a huge college sports fan (if you couldn't tell by my avatar).
But the only thing I'd assume you're a fan of, from your avatar, is bank machines. :?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Jasoni22
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Jasoni22 »

bpmod wrote:
Jasoni22 wrote:...and I'm a huge college sports fan (if you couldn't tell by my avatar).
But the only thing I'd assume you're a fan of, from your avatar, is bank machines. :?

Brian
I'll give you a pass on that because you're Canadian ;)

(Not that there's anything wrong with that... I'm 1/4 Canadian myself :) )
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

MarkBarrett wrote:Dylan found all the DDs and bet 1400 total with boxes worth a total of 4200.
Unless I misheard him, Dylan bet 1800 total: 400 twice, and a grand on the last one. Boxes were 800 in J, two 1600s in DJ for 4000. He's a one-timer if I ever saw one.

For FJ wagers I wrote down 2401 for Erin. This covers a 0 bet by Dylan (usually unlikely, but with this guy...) and leaves her with more than he has left if he bets 6401 to cover her in third and misses, and more than Sara if she makes the shutout bet of 9201 and misses (which she did). Why Dylan bet 4001 I cannot fathom, unless he thought Erin might wager 2401 and he wanted to win on a TS. I don't think that was his reasoning, but who knows? Bottom line: I found neither challenger worthy of knocking off the now former champ. Sorry to see you go, Sara.

Whoever said they've never seen P&R (me either, but my daughter raves about it) or Downton Abbey, you're in for a treat with the latter.

Bet no one else rang in with erg for rad. It's three letters and a unit of energy...

Bomtr: I managed just three of five in Geographic Titles, in part because we once heard the Guernsey one on tape during a long drive. Thought of Paris but didn't buzz. NHO The Man from St. Petersburg; was relieved not to ring in with The Man from Snowy River.

Can I assume most of us guessing Michigan schools for FJ were trying to find a connection with Henry Ford? That was my thought, and I didn't like its chances. No shot at all at G-Tech -- like Paucle, I'll be surprised if it tops 20% in the poll, though more of you nailed it than I expected.

bpmod wins the Canadian Humorous Caption Smackdown. dhk, let our minds fill in the blanks.

Either these past four boards post-ToC have been easier than most, or I'm improving, or both. Correct totals the past four nights: 51 (including my first-ever non-Kids 30/30 in J!), 51, 52, 51. Ms. Speak, I'm ready for my closeup!
In and out of the pool four times
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Jasoni22 wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
I'll give you a pass on that because you're Canadian ;)

(Not that there's anything wrong with that... I'm 1/4 Canadian myself :) )
Of course, by my avatar, the only thing you can tell I'm a fan of is avatars.
reddpen wrote:Bet no one else rang in with erg for rad. It's three letters and a unit of energy...
Yes, but I'm not sure it fits the rest of the clue, the wording of which I can't recall.
reddpen wrote:bpmod wins the Canadian Humorous Caption Smackdown. dhk, let our minds fill in the blanks.
:mrgreen:

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
stevo4212

Post by stevo4212 »

Interesting. There always seems to be a question or two where I go braindead for no good reason, and the contestants follow suit. Today that clue was for Mount Pinatubo. I knew it was coming, and just couldn't think of it. Darn it.

Redpenn, I also said erg for rad. Who says you can't interject with "erg!" where rad would do. Sounds almost like "word!" doesn't it?

Who thought the geographic titles category was easy? Because, I thought it was absurdly hard.

I just don't watch college football enough to pull out the rambling wreck, especially not random teams like Georgia Tech. Sorry, I just don't know everything.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Jasoni22 wrote: OK, OK, I'm done. Tough FJ. I didn't get it, and I'm a huge college sports fan (if you couldn't tell by my avatar). Seems like those who knew it mostly went to ACC schools. If it were about a Big 12 or SEC school instead, I'd have been all over it.
Georgia Tech was in the SEC from 1933 until the 1960s.So when the car debuted, they were an SEC member.

Tulane was also a charter member and also left in the 1960s. I think each saw themselves becoming a southern version of Notre Dame, didn't quite work out for them.

The costumed elephant in Tuscaloosa is named Big Al.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote: Sara Garnett: $13,200-$9,201=$3,999
Dylan Wint: $11,200-$4,001=$7,199...now a 1-day champion with $7,199
Erin Schmidt: $8,800-$5,000=$3,800
In Erin's spot here, I might have bet zero. Sara's MSBIW score is below what she has before FJ. I think she just used the tried and true strategy of writing down a nice round number with lots of zeroes.

I'm really not sure where Dylan was going here, unless the polluted water that causes bad bets was still at the middle podium from last week. He did not cover third, which isn't really surprising, but why $4,001? A bet of $2,001 to cover Sara's highly likely bet of zero I might have understood. But if he had made the MSB, his MSBIW score would have been $4,799, so Erin's optimal bet would have been $4,000 to win on a TS and maximize her winnings on a sole solve.

I guess celebrities watch different TV shows than I do. I have seen zero episodes of the shows in that category.
happybooker
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by happybooker »

For the Olympic question involving Jubilee, I said "show jumping" rather than "equestrian". Judges?
ToeKneeArmAss
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by ToeKneeArmAss »

MarkBarrett wrote: For wild stretches how about Dayton in thinking a Flyer was a car?
That came to mind for me too - as did Murray State (Racers). But I figured both were too obscure to be right. Never did tweak to Ramblin' Wreck.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

happybooker wrote:For the Olympic question involving Jubilee, I said "show jumping" rather than "equestrian". Judges?
I've looked it up; she medaled in dressage, and dressage and show jumping are separate events. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equestrian ... r_Olympics
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Sara, congrats on a great run that should've lasted longer. Like many, I regret your premature departure from the show, and hope you get another chance during the TOC.

Re: A previous post about Craig James. The dude wrecked two football programs in this state: SMU and Texas Tech, but the latter is another story. Suffice it to say we got our revenge by ignoring his subsequent run for a U.S. Senate seat. Reportedly he trailed "None of the Above" in the final balloting.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Jasoni22 wrote: OK, OK, I'm done. Tough FJ. I didn't get it, and I'm a huge college sports fan (if you couldn't tell by my avatar). Seems like those who knew it mostly went to ACC schools. If it were about a Big 12 or SEC school instead, I'd have been all over it.
Speaking of which, Jason and I are alumni of another school with multiple mascots. While we are technically the Aggies, we are represented onfield by the prettiest mascot in college sports.