Monday, March 4, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, March 4, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: Rooting points were all over the place in the TV category.

Mad Men - Dylan
Downton Abbey - Erin
Parks & Recreation - Sara
The Wire - Dylan missed and Sara rebounded
Justified - Dylan
So what I'm getting from this is you won't be rooting for me if a TV category comes up? :lol:

(Okay, I actually went 4/5, but that's abnormally high for me for a generic TV category)
Dylan had rooting interest and lost it and regained it. 2 & 3 I've never seen, so they are neutral to me. If you rang in with 1, 4 or 5 you're fine for rooting.

Bamaman: http://www.jeopardy.com/gamesandmobile/clueoftheday/ This will have the FJ wording when a second look is needed and Jeff doesn't have it yet. Just be careful the next day to not get spoiled. I don't know when it is updated as I would only look there 7:30 - 11:00 at night or weekends.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

xxaaaxx wrote:Even if Georgia Tech came to mind, I'd have thought "Yellow Jackets - nope", and I'm not even sure I would've made the 'Ramblin Wreck' -> 'restored 1930s car' connection in time. *shrug* I seem to struggle with other people's instagets recently, so we'll see. Me, I tried to remember who the Racers were, then blurted out Purdue (yeah, I know) just to have an answer.

Sorry to see it end like this Sara. I'm curious, considering his painfully small DD wagers (and of COURSE he found them all....arrggggghhh), did you consider making less than the MSB?
I did think about his low wagers previously, but I also thought about the fact that I'm much more likely (on average) to get a question right about Colleges and Universities than I am about, say, Speechwriters or Business History (not exactly my wheelhouses). It didn't end up working out for me here, but I figured I'd feel worse about getting it right but losing because I didn't wager enough.
Dr. J wrote:Baker's Dozen and I were completely stumped by FJ; we paused the TV to give ourselves time, but couldn't figure it out. But so as not to TPH it, I wrote down the Akron Zips. (Tires?). I had no idea that was what the Ramblin' Wreck referred to. File that one away for future reference...

Sorry to see you go, Sara! Did Erin know your trivia team's name? We were giggling when that mention came up.

Good luck with the ToC standings...hopefully everything WILL be coming up Millhouse!
I thought about mentioning it during a break, but didn't end up doing it. I think I must have been in makeup when she was going over her stories, because I didn't know she was going to talk about the Simpsons until I heard it on stage.

Crossing my fingers it will! :)
sherder wrote:The three years spent at North Carolina were enough to get me to Georgia Tech.
Four years for me (plus an extra year working after graduation) and it didn't help, although I was there during some pretty bad football years and wasn't following super closely.
southsidehitman wrote:Was surprised at how easy the J round seemed. DJ was about average I thought, and FJ clipped me - I didn't have a real clue and went with Murray State, knowing that they were the Racers but thinking that might have been too obscure a correct response.

One thing I noticed, though, and I'm curious to hear the answer, is Sara's timing on the buzzer - you (Sara) seemed very anxious to jump in on some of the clues, and others a bit more relaxed on the buzzer. Were you anticipating certain clues to go faster than others? And did you recognize when you were on certain categories that you probably knew more about than your opponents?
I don't remember exactly how this broke down, but I was probably more anxious about getting in on clues that seemed easier. I also did some anxious buzzing when the clue was on something I was a fan of and I wanted to get it (this at least worked for Parks and Rec).
MarkBarrett wrote: Dylan found all the DDs and bet 1400 total with boxes worth a total of 4200. If he would have solved the Equestrian DD and nothing else changed it could have been 13200 each for Sara and Dylan entering FJ. Sara: You would have bet everything? Dylan may have not done the same and still won the game.

3 wins and decent money has been good enough to make the TOC previously a few times. One Teacher instead of two could open the field to a 3x winner. It's a very fragile bubble to be on for at least a year. Good luck.

Rooting points were all over the place in the TV category.

Mad Men - Dylan
Downton Abbey - Erin
Parks & Recreation - Sara
The Wire - Dylan missed and Sara rebounded
Justified - Dylan
During the TV category, I was mostly trying to just read the text of the clue on the main board and not pay too much attention to the video. This caused a minor problem on the Wire clue, when the clue on the main board was actually about Storage Wars. Luckily for me, Dylan ended up missing, but it was a bit confusing -- I thought it was just the usual "video clues being extra wordy" until I realized the extra words had nothing to do with Storage Wars.

I also don't know what the Ramblin' Wreck's official status is, but it was described as "one of the mascots" in the clue.
someday
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by someday »

MarkBarrett wrote: I'm curious where to look in the book since I always have it within arm's reach of the computer. In the Sports chapter there is a section with College Team Nicknames. For Georgia Tech only Yellow Jackets is shown. For the extra questions at the end of the chapter there is nothing about GT.
Right, I used Secrets to bone up on many of my weaker areas (colleges/mascots being high on the list). During FJ I mentally cycled through all the ones I had memorized -- even went through "Georgia Tech, Yellow Jackets." The Wreck is not in Secrets.

Sometimes you either just got it or you don't.

My husband, a sports fanatic, has been trying to educate me in the sports arena. He has told me about Uga, the name of the bulldog for University of Georgia. Would that be a similar thing that you either know or you don't?

By the way, great job, Sara, was really rooting for you.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

I was drifting along in FJ, thinking I was toast, but with the intention of answering Georgia Tech if I never figured it out. Then I figured it out. That was worth a chuckle.

Books are not a weakness, but I was miserable on that titles category.

I thought those timid DD wagers would bite, and they did, but justice was ill-served with the TS FJ.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:I also don't know what the Ramblin' Wreck's official status is, but it was described as "one of the mascots" in the clue.
According to http://www.gatech.edu/support/techlingo.html, the Wreck "serves as a school symbol; the student body is also called the Ramblin' Wrecks from Georgia Tech".
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

According to Wikipedia: "The Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech is the 1930 Ford Model A Sport coupe that serves as the official mascot of the student body at the Georgia Institute of Technology. The Wreck is present at all major sporting events and student body functions. Its most noticeable role is leading the football team into Bobby Dodd Stadium at Historic Grant Field, a duty which the Wreck has performed since 1961." So it's not the mascot of the sports teams, it's the mascot of the STUDENTS. I don't remember the exact wording of the question, but presumably that allows it to be counted as a "university mascot," though I can certainly see why it would be tricky to figure out. Certainly I was busy cycling through anything I could think of - and college sports mascots is an area in which I excel, too...
alamble

Post by alamble »

someday wrote: My husband, a sports fanatic, has been trying to educate me in the sports arena. He has told me about Uga, the name of the bulldog for University of Georgia. Would that be a similar thing that you either know or you don't?
Uga is the name of the live bulldog mascot; the costumed version is Hairy Dawg.
someday
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by someday »

alamble wrote: Uga is the name of the live bulldog mascot; the costumed version is Hairy Dawg.
Good to know!! Thank you! :lol:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

someday wrote:He has told me about Uga, the name of the bulldog for University of Georgia. Would that be a similar thing that you either know or you don't?
Similar, but I'm sure Uga is much more well known. And, of course, if the clue was "This university has a bulldog named Uga as its mascot" it would be pretty darn easy to tease out the answer considering it's the University of Georgia (UGA). :D

Very nice run by Sara. Sad to see her go, but Dylan seems like a nice guy, too.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Gimme clues in rows 1-3, then a DD in row 4. Wager $400.
And then again in DJ, gimme clues in rows 1-3, then a DD in row 4. Wager $400.

As far as strategy goes, it's hard to remember a less worthy champion.

I know Sara has to be frustrated because she lost simply because she was ahead going into FJ. But a good run nonetheless.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

alamble wrote:
someday wrote: My husband, a sports fanatic, has been trying to educate me in the sports arena. He has told me about Uga, the name of the bulldog for University of Georgia. Would that be a similar thing that you either know or you don't?
And while we're in the SEC, Florida's costumed mascot is named Albert after the alligator from the "Pogo" comic strip. (Actually, there's a female version, too, who is named Alberta.)
ebEliminator
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by ebEliminator »

It sucks that you lost, Sara, you were a great contestant, certainly better than Die-lan. I was so sure his nitty wagering was going to undo him, but unfortunately the Triple Stumper Final Jeopardy favored his betting patterns. If he had been on for Pluto or Nielsen, he would have lost.

I don't know if people champion this already, but if you get the first Daily Double early in Double Jeopardy, and you don't have a significant lead already, you should go all-in. If you miss, you have a lot of Coryat left to make it up, and if you make it, you get a huge leg up on the competition. If Die-lan had done this, he would have made it significantly harder for Sara.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

trainman wrote:
alamble wrote:
And while we're in the SEC, Florida's costumed mascot is named Albert after the alligator from the "Pogo" comic strip. (Actually, there's a female version, too, who is named Alberta.)
Does she live in Vancouver?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

Golf wrote:Gimme clues in rows 1-3, then a DD in row 4. Wager $400.
And then again in DJ, gimme clues in rows 1-3, then a DD in row 4. Wager $400.

As far as strategy goes, it's hard to remember a less worthy champion.
Don't forget that he also didn't wager enough to cover Erin. Had it been a FJ like Pluto from last week, say, he would have finished third if Erin had bet it all. Of course, in the event of a Triple Stumper, he was arguably in the best position, and really the difference between second and third is pretty minimal anyway. Still, his overly conservative DD wagering was odd. How often do DDs go for less than the regular dollar value? Almost never?
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

thomasfoolery wrote:I really disliked the inclusion of Roman Polanski in the Exiles category. He's intentionally staying out of the country, no one's keeping him out. Living abroad to avoid prosecution for the rape of a still-living thirteen year-old girl isn't something Jeopardy! should be putting as a clue (much less in a category where most of the other exiles are portrayed somewhat as unfortunate.)

First post, found this during the teen tournament. Awesome board!
Cut it any way you like, anyone staying out of the country to avoid prosecution is probably in self exile. Regardless of the reason, Polanski is trivia. If they used Josef Mengele as one of the questions, is that wrong as well?
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

Better "Chinatown' trivia, Polanski was the guy who sliced Jake's nose. Hey , Claude, where'd ya get the midget?
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

I would just like to add my congratulations to Sara for a fine run. You played the game well and I hope you make it to the TOC.
Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

Admittedly this is totally nit-picky, but the chess 'fianchetto' definition was not entirely accurate. A fianchettoed bishop is moved to a player's second rank on the knight file, so to square b2 or g2 for White, or square b7 or g7 for Black. Just moving to the long diagonal is not necessarily a fianchetto.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

Sara congrats on a good run. You were a worthy competitor. Bad luck tonight.
I assume you are at the KBS, since there is no other biological research going on in hickory corners that i know of. I live on Gull Lake and every time i see that boat landing I think 'That cereal thing was a pretty good idea'. I'm sure you know it's the time for the "frog survey'.I make the same joke every year and nobody laughs. The frog survey seems pretty dumb. Isn't the answer always ribbit?
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
a1srvng
Valued Contributor

Post by a1srvng »

"I dislike the absurdly conservative DD wagers from Dylan, and I dislike that Sara lost.

I would be surprised if that FJ comes in over 40%. That's really rough.

Fun game otherwise.

Fish"

I excuse myself from Jeopardy for life if anyone thought for a moment that this was an"instaget". The game descended into a poker bet when that question manifested itself. Jeopardy lost a really good contestant to an inane happenstance of frightened betting which totally negated the supposed object of the game.

I still don't get it. Thousands of colleges in the U.S and we're supposed to know the peculiar mascots of Georgia Tech?