Monday, March 4, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Re: Monday, March 4, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Austin Powers wrote:I did NOT go to Georgia Tech, but I follow college sports enough to know that school that has automobile as one of its mascots = Ga Tech.

I am reminded of the "On Wisconsin" Final Jeopardy from some time back.
Georgia Tech was an instaget for me, but then I'm a fan of college football, and southern football in particular. As a Bama alum, GT was a traditional rival, even after they left the SEC, until the league expanded to 12 teams and it made it too hard to schedule routinely. (In fact, the Bama fight song includes a reference to them.)

It's also not that unusual for a school to have multiple nicknames/mascots. UVA is the Cavs and the Hoos. The Auburn Tigers also get the War Eagle moniker (and, less often, the Plainsmen). And on and on.

This is the vehicle in question, FWIW:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

They drive the car onto the field before games. My wife was at a Georgia Tech game a few years ago, so she was able to get FJ today. But Tech isn't a huge football power, so I'd imagine casual football fans would have a hard time getting it.

I think the category should have been "College Mascots" to be more descriptive.

I was hoping Dylan would get the last volcano clue to create a tie, I wonder if he'd have bet it all if he had. He won't last long with timid DD bets like that.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Fishercat wrote: I dislike the absurdly conservative DD wagers from Dylan, and I dislike that Sara lost.
Meant to ask about this: his DD wagers totaled only 2,000 (he found all three, as I recall, wagering 400/600/1000? yes?). That's got to be close to a record for least amount of money wagered in one game (all players, not when just one person finds them all). Any stats on this?
Agree big time on your second dislike.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think he bet $400 on the second one as well as the first.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:I think he bet $400 on the second one as well as the first.
Correct
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Hey, I'm a fan of college football too. But I can only remember seeing one game played at Georgia Tech in the past 30 years, when Notre Dame beat them in 2005 or 2006. Before that, I'd have to go back almost to when Rudy Ruettiger was still playing.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

marpocky wrote:TPH joins the ranks of Roger Craig
*There's* a phrase I was sure I'd never see in my life ...
econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:And this would be known to a non-speaker of French why?
It's called knowledge. I don't speak any language other than English, yet I know many roots from Latin, French, Spanish, German, etc.
As a quote from my favourite episode of Big Bang Theory goes:

Leonard: How do you know this stuff?
Penny: I go outside and I talk to people!

(And yes, I know I've repeated this quote before in the exact same situation. But I am a bit of a necrohippoflagellophile ... )
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:I did NOT go to Georgia Tech, but I follow college sports enough to know that school that has automobile as one of its mascots = Ga Tech.

I am reminded of the "On Wisconsin" Final Jeopardy from some time back.
Georgia Tech was an instaget for me, but then I'm a fan of college football, and southern football in particular. As a Bama alum, GT was a traditional rival, even after they left the SEC, until the league expanded to 12 teams and it made it too hard to schedule routinely. (In fact, the Bama fight song includes a reference to them.)

It's also not that unusual for a school to have multiple nicknames/mascots. UVA is the Cavs and the Hoos. The Auburn Tigers also get the War Eagle moniker (and, less often, the Plainsmen). And on and on.

This is the vehicle in question, FWIW:
I think you got the wrong picture there, all I see are cheerleaders, no car.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
thomasfoolery
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by thomasfoolery »

I really disliked the inclusion of Roman Polanski in the Exiles category. He's intentionally staying out of the country, no one's keeping him out. Living abroad to avoid prosecution for the rape of a still-living thirteen year-old girl isn't something Jeopardy! should be putting as a clue (much less in a category where most of the other exiles are portrayed somewhat as unfortunate.)

First post, found this during the teen tournament. Awesome board!
TryphonTournesol
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by TryphonTournesol »

emccullough wrote:After failing to come up with any Mustangs, I went with FORDham just to have something to put down.
Heh, that was my WAG too. Georgia Tech seemed so obvious in retrospect but I just stared blankly for 20 seconds trying to come up with something reasonable before I had to hustle to write down Fordham.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:This is the vehicle in question, FWIW:
There's a car in that picture?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
southsidehitman
Has Been in Cliff Clavin's Kitchen

Post by southsidehitman »

Was surprised at how easy the J round seemed. DJ was about average I thought, and FJ clipped me - I didn't have a real clue and went with Murray State, knowing that they were the Racers but thinking that might have been too obscure a correct response.

One thing I noticed, though, and I'm curious to hear the answer, is Sara's timing on the buzzer - you (Sara) seemed very anxious to jump in on some of the clues, and others a bit more relaxed on the buzzer. Were you anticipating certain clues to go faster than others? And did you recognize when you were on certain categories that you probably knew more about than your opponents?
"Well, I'm not quite ready, so I'm gonna do it now."
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

With my audition coming up, I decided to start scoring at home today. Racked up a $36,000 Coryat, so that's a pretty good start. I agree with others who said the J! round seemed pretty easy - I went 24 right, 1 wrong, only five passes.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
dhkendall wrote:A tech college (not a particular one, just the concept) entered my mind and dismissed it. As soon as he said "Rambling Wreck from .... " I knew I should have thought harder. (I put down University of Detroit for something to put down - eh, why do I bother?)
Yeah, from what I remember of the post-game chat, that was Erin's rationale (and Dylan went with your other line of thinking, trying to make a connection between the state of Michigan and cars). I usually do well in this category when I play along at home, but clearly this particular fact wasn't something I knew well! When I couldn't come up with a school with a car as its primary mascot, I tried to think of ways a car could be related to the primary mascot (turns out this wasn't the case, but I had to think of something). The only thing I could think of at the time was a mustang, so I went with the first horse mascot I could come up with. Given my location, that school is Western Michigan. As I was writing it, I was thinking that (a) Western will probably never be a FJ answer and (b) they're technically broncos, not mustangs, but I didn't have anything better. One of my good friends in my department is a Tech alum, so I'm interested in her reaction.
Bamaman wrote:It was an instaget FJ for me, but I was not surprised it was a TS on the show. Given his timid DD bets, not surprised Dylan didn't cover third in FJ.

Sorry to see Sara go, now she has a long wait to sweat out a TOC spot.
I'll probably most likely end up in a Patrick Morrison situation (or out a few slots earlier), but it'll all depend on tournament timing and what kind of streaks people get on. Like probably everyone on Jeopardy!, I would've loved to play at least one more game, but I certainly can't complain about the experience.

Thanks to everyone for the support! I heard a little bit about what happened in some later games this week back at the hotel, but I'm looking forward to seeing it all play out.
You had a good run, Sara, and I enjoyed watching you play.

I thought of the University of Cincinnati for FJ, since they are the Bearcats.
alamble

Post by alamble »

Bamaman wrote:They drive the car onto the field before games. My wife was at a Georgia Tech game a few years ago, so she was able to get FJ today. But Tech isn't a huge football power, so I'd imagine casual football fans would have a hard time getting it.

The car isn't a mascot, though - Buzz the Yellow Jacket is the official mascot. Ramblin' Wreck is an unofficial nickname.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

For the record, I went 0/5 in Chess, Exile, TV, Erupt, Olympics, and Geographical Titles. Of course.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alamble wrote:
Bamaman wrote:They drive the car onto the field before games. My wife was at a Georgia Tech game a few years ago, so she was able to get FJ today. But Tech isn't a huge football power, so I'd imagine casual football fans would have a hard time getting it.

The car isn't a mascot, though - Buzz the Yellow Jacket is the official mascot. Ramblin' Wreck is an unofficial nickname.
Didn't the clue say it was one of their mascots? I know it isn't their official mascot, more of a tradition than a mascot, I suppose.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

teapot37 wrote:FJ was a fact I learned from the old Secrets of the Jeopardy Champions book. I also have a friend who's a GT alum* so this was an instaget.
I'm curious where to look in the book since I always have it within arm's reach of the computer. In the Sports chapter there is a section with College Team Nicknames. For Georgia Tech only Yellow Jackets is shown. For the extra questions at the end of the chapter there is nothing about GT.

Dylan found all the DDs and bet 1400 total with boxes worth a total of 4200. If he would have solved the Equestrian DD and nothing else changed it could have been 13200 each for Sara and Dylan entering FJ. Sara: You would have bet everything? Dylan may have not done the same and still won the game.

3 wins and decent money has been good enough to make the TOC previously a few times. One Teacher instead of two could open the field to a 3x winner. It's a very fragile bubble to be on for at least a year. Good luck.

Rooting points were all over the place in the TV category.

Mad Men - Dylan
Downton Abbey - Erin
Parks & Recreation - Sara
The Wire - Dylan missed and Sara rebounded
Justified - Dylan

Between music-related game shows and other pop culture appearances it has to be more than a dozen different ways that "Columbia, the Gem of the Ocean" was unmissable for me.

Colleges & Universities had me hopeful for a little redemption for missing the gettable Cal Golden Bears one. The clue had me immediately guessing Georgia Tech correctly without any knowledge from seeing any Georgia Tech games. Thanks for the posting of the car's picture. It's the first time I've seen it and I was curious.

I didn't know if the Ramblin' Wreck was a car and unlike some solves where the thinking is done quickly I spent all of think time still trying to figure out if the clue could be about another college. Fortune was with me in not being stung on the clue.

All of the other guesses and their logic have the list getting longer and longer. For wild stretches how about Dayton in thinking a Flyer was a car? Air Force in knowing a Falcon is a Ford model?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

U. Michigan here as well. Wouldn't have gotten Georgia Tech in any reasonable length of time. Not even a coin flip or a general region.

Incidentally, I haven't seen anyone ask, but 'Dressage' would count for 'Equestrian' as Lis Hartel's silver was for (Individual) Dressage (as opposed to eventing or jumping, the other two flavors of Equestrian events.)

One of two, incidentally: Silvered in 1952 AND 1956.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
lovemydolphins
Contributor

Post by lovemydolphins »

J! round seemed pretty easy tonight. Can't say the same for the DJ! round, though.
I came up with Cincinnati for FJ, but I knew in my gut it was wrong. Put it down when nothing better came to mind.
Sorry to see you go Sara. You definitely had a good run. Must be hard to wait and see how everything unravels for the ToC.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Rooting points were all over the place in the TV category.

Mad Men - Dylan
Downton Abbey - Erin
Parks & Recreation - Sara
The Wire - Dylan missed and Sara rebounded
Justified - Dylan
So what I'm getting from this is you won't be rooting for me if a TV category comes up? :lol:

(Okay, I actually went 4/5, but that's abnormally high for me for a generic TV category)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)