Monday, March 4, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, March 4, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

someday wrote:I, too, said "erg" but was tickled to hear Alex say the word "rad." Would have been beyond awesome if right afterward he'd said "San Dimas High School Football RULES!!"

Love hearing about these many multiple-mascoted schools. UCSB -- my alma mater -- is the Gauchos. Notable alumni: Jim Rome, Brian Shaw. I believe the "Gaucho" is unnamed, however, and at any rate is highly unlikely to ever be "Jeopardy!" clue material.

When my husband got home, I told him the FJ clue and was shocked when he didn't know it.
According to google, apparently his name is Ole (see how educational this has been :)).

I obviously would've preferred a multiple-mascot question on Rameses (I actually know his origin story!), but you can't get lucky all the time on Jeopardy!.
someday
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by someday »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:According to google, apparently his name is Ole (see how educational this has been :)).

I obviously would've preferred a multiple-mascot question on Rameses (I actually know his origin story!), but you can't get lucky all the time on Jeopardy!.
Ouch, now I'm really showing my lack of college/university knowledge ... and apparent reticence to research and google something for 30 seconds! :oops:

I thought the Ole part was the cheer: Ole Ole Ole Ole, Gauchos, Gauchos!

Luck is a big part of it, but you gotta bring skill, knowledge and fast reflexes to the table -- which you did. Wish you'd been able to go a little longer, Sara.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

someday wrote:Luck is a big part of it, but you gotta bring skill, knowledge and fast reflexes to the table -- which you did. Wish you'd been able to go a little longer, Sara.
Truer words have never been spoken.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

someday wrote:
ComingUpMilhouse wrote:According to google, apparently his name is Ole (see how educational this has been :)).

Ouch, now I'm really showing my lack of college/university knowledge ... and apparent reticence to research and google something for 30 seconds! :oops:

Luck is a big part of it, but you gotta bring skill, knowledge and fast reflexes to the table -- which you did. Wish you'd been able to go a little longer, Sara.
My guess would be that they picked his name based on the cheer just to give him a name, but I didn't google that carefully. :)

Thanks! Would've loved to keep playing, but it was definitely a great experience (even if the stars don't align for me to come back).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Don't forget "Sammy the Slug," mascot of the UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs!
http://www.ucsc.edu/about/mascot.html
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

We need to start about weird-ly named mascots. Or teams anyways.

I'm sure I've shared this here before, but for my money, two of the weird sports teams I know personally are those of my alma mater, the U of W Wesmen (and the women's teams, the "Lady Wesmen") - don't ask me what a Wesmen are, I just studied there! And, the team from a high school here in Winnipeg, the Murdoch McKay Clansmen. (Shockingly, their team colours are not "white".) I think it has to do with Scottish clans given the name of the high school, but it still raises eyebrows for me anyways.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

No one can beat the Marching Lumberjacks
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dhkendall wrote:We need to start about weird-ly named mascots. Or teams anyways.

I'm sure I've shared this here before, but for my money, two of the weird sports teams I know personally are those of my alma mater, the U of W Wesmen (and the women's teams, the "Lady Wesmen") - don't ask me what a Wesmen are, I just studied there! And, the team from a high school here in Winnipeg, the Murdoch McKay Clansmen. (Shockingly, their team colours are not "white".) I think it has to do with Scottish clans given the name of the high school, but it still raises eyebrows for me anyways.
Clansman is ok up where you are as long as it's a "C" and not a "K" -- and as long as they don't wear white!
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

sherder wrote:The three years spent at North Carolina were enough to get me to Georgia Tech.
ComingUpMilhouse wrote:Four years for me (plus an extra year working after graduation) and it didn't help, although I was there during some pretty bad football years and wasn't following super closely.
I was there getting my Master's degree from 92-95, so it was the height of the Mack Brown era. That, and walking past Kenan Stadium everyday on my way to Wilson Hall kept football at the forefront during the season. I couldn't easily get to the lab during home games.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Vanya wrote:No one can beat the Marching Lumberjacks

My alma mater, in the glory days.
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
someday wrote:

My guess would be that they picked his name based on the cheer just to give him a name, but I didn't google that carefully. :)

Thanks! Would've loved to keep playing, but it was definitely a great experience (even if the stars don't align for me to come back).
Sara, congrats on your run, that was a tough way to go out. I consider myself a pretty decent follower of college sports, but never heard the Ramblin Wreck story. I guesses Ole Miss (at least they're both southern...)

Regarding Ole, anyone else think he looks like Yosemite Sam-that was my first impression when UCSB unveiled him. Also, the Ole...Gauchos cheer is a traditional soccer chant (insert your club here). Check out the song called "Ole" by Bouncing Souls.
Last edited by CoachP on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

bomtr wrote:
Vanya wrote:No one can beat the Marching Lumberjacks

My alma mater, in the glory days.
Mine too (1978)
someday

Post by someday »

Image Image

I don't see the resemblance. :lol:

One is ... tall. And one has red hair.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

someday wrote:I don't see the resemblance. :lol:

One is ... tall. And one has red hair.
And the hats aren't alike at all.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

True, maybe I was just going off the creepy leer. OR maybe I'm confusing YS with some other cartoon character? (this is what I get for not being allowed to watch cartoons in my childhood :) )

So, because this is bugging me, I did a little more research-couldn't grab a screen shot from the cartoon, however-
"1947
Along Came Daffy, Daffy has to contend with two characters who look very much like Sam, one with Sam’s red hair and one with black hair"
Last edited by CoachP on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:Of course, by my avatar, the only thing you can tell I'm a fan of is avatars.
Does that include Aang?
someday

Post by someday »

CoachP wrote:True, maybe I was just going off the creepy leer. OR maybe I'm confusing YS with some other cartoon character? (this is what I get for not being allowed to watch cartoons in my childhood :) )
For two imaginary characters, they DO look somewhat alike. I was just trying to be contradictory. They both even have a big yellow belt buckle!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

CoachP wrote:True, maybe I was just going off the creepy leer. OR maybe I'm confusing YS with some other cartoon character?
I'd say he's somewhat of a cross between Yosemite Sam and Snidely Whiplash.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
bpmod wrote:Of course, by my avatar, the only thing you can tell I'm a fan of is avatars.
Does that include Aang?
No. Definitely not.

Brian

CyrusChan
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CyrusChan »

econgator wrote:Instaget FJ.

Great run, Sara. Hopefully we haven't seen the last of you!
TenPoundHammer wrote:Essay means to "try"? Since when?
Since always. It's French for "to try" (essayer).

lol