Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

Re: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby kickerofelves » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:30 pm

econgator wrote:Maybe he means 514, which is Montreal ... which I only know as I had to dial it on Wednesday. :)


You called an area code OTHER THAN YOUR OWN? Who does that? That's just crazy talk!

;) :roll:
User avatar
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:06 am
Location: Erie, PA, USA

Re: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:32 pm

kickerofelves wrote:
econgator wrote:Maybe he means 514, which is Montreal ... which I only know as I had to dial it on Wednesday. :)


You called an area code OTHER THAN YOUR OWN? Who does that? That's just crazy talk!

;) :roll:

How do you dial all these area code numbers? All I know are longs and shorts!! :twisted:
User avatar
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:10 pm

Re: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Magna » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:26 pm

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
kickerofelves wrote:
econgator wrote:Maybe he means 514, which is Montreal ... which I only know as I had to dial it on Wednesday. :)


You called an area code OTHER THAN YOUR OWN? Who does that? That's just crazy talk!

;) :roll:

How do you dial all these area code numbers? All I know are longs and shorts!! :twisted:

Oh, you and your fancy city ways.
User avatar
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy
 
Posts: 1979
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Paucle » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:56 pm

jkbrat wrote:Ohio was insufficiently specific for me to narrow it down (I was thinking Taft).

Naw, if it were Taft there'd be a note at the bottom: "Continued on Next Statue."
User avatar
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer
 
Posts: 3233
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:36 pm
Location: near Albany NY

Re: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby jkbrat » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:16 pm

Paucle wrote:
jkbrat wrote:Ohio was insufficiently specific for me to narrow it down (I was thinking Taft).

Naw, if it were Taft there'd be a note at the bottom: "Continued on Next Statue."


Good point! -- forgot about the whole bathtub thing.

"I think we're gonna need a bigger pedestal"
It escapes, irretrievable time

Learn, Review, Repeat
User avatar
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:30 pm

Re: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby silverscreentest » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:40 pm

jkbrat wrote:
Paucle wrote:
jkbrat wrote:Ohio was insufficiently specific for me to narrow it down (I was thinking Taft).

Naw, if it were Taft there'd be a note at the bottom: "Continued on Next Statue."


Good point! -- forgot about the whole bathtub thing.

"I think we're gonna need a bigger pedestal"


He's been added to the Washington Nationals Racing Presidents, but the general consensus is that he's not wide enough.

Image
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
User avatar
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:30 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Roadgeek Adam » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:28 pm

econgator wrote:
bpmod wrote:I hope you're not saying that 415 is a Canadian area code.

Brian


Maybe he means 514, which is Montreal ... which I only know as I had to dial it on Wednesday. :)

My comment meant I got this wrong. ;) - I didn't know where 416 was, so I guessed on that one. As I said I know where 415 is. :(
Avatar: Mickey's Hot Dogs - Greenburgh, NY (1929 - present)
User avatar
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:20 pm
Location: Highland Park, New Jersey

Re: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby davey » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:01 am

Sherm wrote:
FJ, I knew what they wanted immediately. My brain could not come up with the word "declaration" for my life. I ended up writing "What is a resolution to go to war?" It's one like that would be very interesting to see if it would fly or not.


That's a valid question. Most of the Declarations contain the language "Be it resolved," so I think you could call them resolutions. However, there have been "resolutions" assenting to many military actions since 1942, including the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan - they just weren't called declarations of war, e.g., Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002. Are those resolutions to go to war too?
I wrote "war resolutions," then in the last few seconds realized "declarations" was better. So I scrawled an amendment, and my pad read WAR and then DECLARATIONS right above RESOLUTIONS. If I'd had a few more seconds, I might have scratched out the last word, but as it stands, I'm still inclined to count it.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Onairb » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:33 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
marpocky wrote:I'm sure you've encountered the name of Michael Flatley, aka "Lord of the Dance," at some point in your life.


The only "Lord of the Dance" I've ever heard of is that Christian song set to the tune of "Simple Gifts".

marpocky wrote:212 is the area code of Manhattan, and is one of the most well-known in, admittedly, an esoteric field of trivia.
City of >2 million near Buffalo? Gotta be Toronto. Or Chicago, if you ask Watson. Granted, tough to make the international leap here.
201 for New Jersey? I'll give you that there was not enough TOM on this one. Definitely no way to get that unless you know it.
The TOM for 234 (Akron) was that it's sequential. You had to know here that area codes can't start with a 1 (or a 0).


212 — Never had any reason to know any area code not in my own state, so this went over my head. I don't recall Buffalo being in the next clue. And the fact that area codes can't start with 1 or 0 is new to me.

marpocky wrote:Oof. This is high-school level civics here, at the very most. Maybe even middle school.


I remember nothing from my history classes.

You remember nothing, except your password to log into this forum.
Onairb
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:45 am

Re: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Bamaman » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:53 am

Years ago, they had a clue that said "All area codes have one of these two numbers as the middle digit". It wound up being a stand and stare.

I could not believe none of them could come up with that. Did they not know their own area code, which would have given them the answer?
Bamaman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 5000
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby bpmod » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:57 am

Bamaman wrote:Years ago, they had a clue that said "All area codes have one of these two numbers as the middle digit". It wound up being a stand and stare.

I could not believe none of them could come up with that. Did they not know their own area code, which would have given them the answer?

Maybe they were all from another continent.

I agree. If both were asked for, it might have been a little more difficult. But, yes, if they are asking for only one, jump in and pick the one that's in the middle of your own area code. (Of course, since that clue has become outdated, two of my (4) area codes have the middle digit 8.)

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.
User avatar
bpmod
Rank
 
Posts: 3977
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:26 am
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Bamaman » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:59 am

Yes, it was a long time ago. But even if both were asked for, it would have been a good guess what the other one was if you knew your own had a zero or one in the middle.
Bamaman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 5000
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby TryphonTournesol » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:11 am

Onairb wrote:You remember nothing, except your password to log into this forum.


Probably saved in the browser.
User avatar
TryphonTournesol
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:40 pm

Re: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby someday » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:15 am

That area code category reminded me of this FJ clue from 1999.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2432

Never forgot it!
User avatar
someday
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:37 pm

Re: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby seaborgium » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:52 am

someday wrote:That area code category reminded me of this FJ clue from 1999.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2432

Never forgot it!

Returning champ: "Nah, I won already, you go ahead and win." (It didn't make a difference, but the winner paid it forward in the next game all the same.)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
 
Posts: 3041
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby skullturf » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:49 am

Bamaman wrote:Years ago, they had a clue that said "All area codes have one of these two numbers as the middle digit". It wound up being a stand and stare.

I could not believe none of them could come up with that. Did they not know their own area code, which would have given them the answer?


If the clue was phrased exactly as you typed it here, doesn't the placement of the word "these" imply that the clue would be asking for both numbers?
User avatar
skullturf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 1128
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:34 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby Bamaman » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:07 am

Sorry, I'm pretty sure they were just asking for one. I should have written "One of the two numbers......"
Bamaman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
 
Posts: 5000
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Postby someday » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:04 pm

seaborgium wrote:
someday wrote:That area code category reminded me of this FJ clue from 1999.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2432

Never forgot it!

Returning champ: "Nah, I won already, you go ahead and win." (It didn't make a difference, but the winner paid it forward in the next game all the same.)


:lol: It's all about sharing the wealth.
User avatar
someday
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:37 pm

Previous

Return to Game Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bpmod, Google [Bot], mennoknight, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests