Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

marpocky
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by marpocky »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I have never heard of any of the people in that & What Do You Do category. Should I really know those two dancers at $200?
I'm sure you've encountered the name of Michael Flatley, aka "Lord of the Dance," at some point in your life.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Dylan Thomas was so overvalued at $1600 that I clammed on it.
You and the players. Spotted "Welsh poet" and nobody even guessed him?
TenPoundHammer wrote:That Area Codes category was stupid. Is there any reason I should know that 212 = New York when you're not going to give me any hints towards it? Or that Akron is 234? (Of course, Michigan was my only get since it was the only one that had a TOM.)
As soon as the category was revealed, I precalled you making a complaint along these lines. And Michigan was the only one with TOM, if you, you know, ignore the TOM in all the other clues.

212 is the area code of Manhattan, and is one of the most well-known in, admittedly, an esoteric field of trivia.
City of >2 million near Buffalo? Gotta be Toronto. Or Chicago, if you ask Watson. Granted, tough to make the international leap here.
201 for New Jersey? I'll give you that there was not enough TOM on this one. Definitely no way to get that unless you know it.
The TOM for 234 (Akron) was that it's sequential. You had to know here that area codes can't start with a 1 (or a 0).
TenPoundHammer wrote:No guess on FJ! Those are a thing?!
Oof. This is high-school level civics here, at the very most. Maybe even middle school.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

What is up with people making an ill-advised $2500 DD wager at the end of the game? Grrrr! 3 times in 5 games. Between that and the horrible underwagers, DD betting has been really awful this last week or so.
Last edited by marpocky on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

marpocky wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Dylan Thomas was so overvalued at $1600 that I clammed on it.
I was die-ing for someone to respond with "Who is Die-lan Thomas?"
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

jeff6286 wrote:
marpocky wrote:
That was my response. It could be pronounced that way.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Boo hiss on yet another chance to proclaim "I'd like to make it a daily Sextuple" goes by the board. Not only that, but he didn't say "True Daily Double" either, so negative points! :evil:
marpocky wrote:What is up with people making an awkward $2500 DD wager at the end of the game? Grrrr! 3 times in 5 games.
No kidding. With only two clues left, a conservative wager of 100 would've almost assured her of the lead into FJ by default. Even if wrong, one of her opponents would've needed to get both of them to supplant her.
But I feel bad for Lorraine. I think not knowing Franklin was a total brain burp.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

bpmod wrote: That was my response. It could be pronounced that way.

Brian
That was how I said it. You could say "Hey, I met some dude named Dylan in the green room who pronounced it that way".
Last edited by Bamaman on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

Paucle wrote:Boo hiss on yet another chance to proclaim "I'd like to make it a daily Sextuple" goes by the board. Not only that, but he didn't say "True Daily Double" either, so negative points! :evil:
marpocky wrote:What is up with people making an awkward $2500 DD wager at the end of the game? Grrrr! 3 times in 5 games.
No kidding. With only two clues left, a conservative wager of 100 would've almost assured her of the lead into FJ by default. Even if wrong, one of her opponents would've needed to get both of them to supplant her.
But I feel bad for Lorraine. I think not knowing Franklin was a total brain burp.
I wasn't sure it was Franklin, but I knew if it wasn't him I would have no clue so he was my default guess.
jmenjes
Figment of Imagination

Post by jmenjes »

Alaskan Wildlife and DC Statues killed me tonight, as I only managed one correct response in each of those two categories. Looks like I have some more areas I need to brush up on. Wasn't too hot on Pop Lyrics either (then again, I listen more to jazz and music from the Disney parks a lot more than I do pop music).

Ran 10 Letter Words and Comic Strip characters in DJ, as well as going 4 for 5 in Wonky Leaks. Ben Franklin was an easy get for me. Wasn't a good showing for me in Quotes About Drinks, however; only got 1 out of 5.

Admittedly, declarations of war never even popped into my mind. I said Constitutional amendments just to answer with something.

Overall, I'd call it a less than average game for myself.
"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up anyway." -- Walt Disney
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

marpocky wrote:I'm sure you've encountered the name of Michael Flatley, aka "Lord of the Dance," at some point in your life.
The only "Lord of the Dance" I've ever heard of is that Christian song set to the tune of "Simple Gifts".
marpocky wrote:212 is the area code of Manhattan, and is one of the most well-known in, admittedly, an esoteric field of trivia.
City of >2 million near Buffalo? Gotta be Toronto. Or Chicago, if you ask Watson. Granted, tough to make the international leap here.
201 for New Jersey? I'll give you that there was not enough TOM on this one. Definitely no way to get that unless you know it.
The TOM for 234 (Akron) was that it's sequential. You had to know here that area codes can't start with a 1 (or a 0).
212 — Never had any reason to know any area code not in my own state, so this went over my head. I don't recall Buffalo being in the next clue. And the fact that area codes can't start with 1 or 0 is new to me.
marpocky wrote:Oof. This is high-school level civics here, at the very most. Maybe even middle school.
I remember nothing from my history classes.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

marpocky wrote:The TOM for 234 (Akron) was that it's sequential. You had to know here that area codes can't start with a 1 (or a 0).
I thought that was a rather poorly-worded clue. Referring to a number as "sequential" is different than saying that its digits are sequential. The clue communicated to me that they were looking for the lowest area code number that is sequential with other area code numbers. Since I am well aware that they can't start with 0 or 1, and they had just given 201 for New Jersey, I was baffled. (Couldn't be 200 because regular area codes don't end in 0 either.)

Put me down for Hayes instead of Garfield.

Instaget FJ. Had it before he'd read half the clue.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

BigDaddyJ wrote:
marpocky wrote:The TOM for 234 (Akron) was that it's sequential. You had to know here that area codes can't start with a 1 (or a 0).
I thought that was a rather poorly-worded clue. Referring to a number as "sequential" is different than saying that its digits are sequential. The clue communicated to me that they were looking for the lowest area code number that is sequential with other area code numbers. Since I am well aware that they can't start with 0 or 1, and they had just given 201 for New Jersey, I was baffled. (Couldn't be 200 because regular area codes don't end in 0 either.)
Actually, they can and do end in zero, so my response was 200, which I know to be the lowest possible. I was also thrown by the word sequential. If I had realized what they meant, 234 would have been a gimme.

Edited to add: After looking it up, it seems that it can only end in a zero if the first two digits are not 2 and 0.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

bpmod wrote:Actually, they can and do end in zero, so my response was 200, which I know to be the lowest possible. I was also thrown by the word sequential. If I had realized what they meant, 234 would have been a gimme.
Yes, sorry. I actually knew that - my mother-in-law's area code ends in zero. (You can tell how often I call!) I think I was thinking that 200 would not be a regular area code because I wasn't aware of x00 being used except as a specialty code (like 800 for toll-free, 900 for premium rates, etc.).
Last edited by BigDaddyJ on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

I was 4-for-5 on the area codes category - having lived in New Jersey helped - but I was also confused by "sequential" in the final clue. Which is a shame because that kept me from running four of the six DJ! categories, having run Wonky Leaks, 10-letter words and comic strip characters.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

And I also missed New Jersey for some odd reason. I have always known where 201 is. Ever since I was little.

I sort of precalled 416, but it was in a "they wouldn't do that, would they?" sort of way.

And was kinda excited to see one of my very own area codes (I have telephone numbers in 4 area codes).

Brian

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

jeff6286 wrote:
marpocky wrote:
Dylan and I (independently) decided to stay to watch this game (they move you from the contestants' section to the section for guests of contestants). I was sitting in front of Dylan, who was there with his wife and very adorable little daughter. We exchanged an amused glance at this question.

I whiffed FJ, and I'm not sure I would have gotten it even if I weren't still a bit drained. Obviously should get it, it just didn't come. So, unless by some wild stretch I went into FJ with a lock game, I was destined for a short J! career!

The meal break was after the taping of this game, so I decided to leave. You're not allowed to bring cell phones to the studio so the contestant coordinators offer to call a cab for you. I rode back to the hotel with Lorraine and her friend.

I know the outcome of the next two games from Monday night discussions at the hotel--after that, no more omniscience!
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

bpmod wrote:I sort of precalled 416, but it was in a "they wouldn't do that, would they?" sort of way.
I had to think about that one for a second. "City of 2.6 million that's only a hundred miles from Buffalo? But America only even has... oh wait a minute."
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

bpmod wrote:And was kinda excited to see one of my very own area codes (I have telephone numbers in 4 area codes).
And I had even forgotten that 416 was my area code until I was about 30. How soon we forget.

I live in what is probably the smallest city to be serviced by 5 area codes.

Brian

Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper »

I can't help wondering if the FJ clue was meant to fool those of... certain political persuasions who might've thought we declared war on Iraq in the 2000's? Or is that not a common belief?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Guessing Grant instead of Garfield was my only ring-in error of the night. The other X on my card was guessing The Iceman for the Anna Christie DD.

Besides the easy trash with Dylan Thomas and Hillerman were the architects (Gropius/Piano) and the Mexican treaty.

Lorraine should have been able to solve Ben Franklin to make everything else not matter. It seems like she was too good to only walk away with $1000.

I was rooting for Jon since I could relate to his hockey story somewhat with one game misconduct on my rink rap sheet.

Drew's second clue 200 DD wager was ridiculous, but if he had bet the max and missed then it would seem he would have lost. Some people have the strategy to bet low on DDs whether they track a low percentage at home or for some other reason. He has bet 1000, 500 and 200 in boxes worth 1000, 1600 and 400. See, lesson learned and I'm not trying sums this time. It was not a pretty victory, but unlike many he gets to play a third game.

The FJ clue had only one thing to guess as far as I could determine. Figuring out the terminology had me go with Declarations of War. I would hope it would go 3/3 on the show.

Hammer:
Dame Antoinette Sibley/Lord Michael Flatley - Dancers
Diane Arbus/Richard Avedon - Photographers
Brady Hoke/Rex Ryan - Football Coaches
Herbert Putnam/Melvil Dewey - Librarians
Renzo Piano/Walter Gropius - Architects

Lines 1, 2 and 5 are the ones to try to remember their names and jobs as they will come up again. Dewey in #4 will usually have some kind of library reference with his name, but not always. You were skunked here and ran the 10-letter words. You have strength in word type clues and a great weakness in name type clues. J! uses both kinds a lot, so it's going to be part of your viewing each night that huge hunks get by you, but there will always be good pockets as well.

Three of the names I couldn't place, so after the show I made sure to look them up to learn a little more besides just seeing their jobs from tonight's clues.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

In a category about alcohol, too. That and Tony Hillerman, among others, were "yell at the screen" moments.