Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6558, 2013-03-06

CONTESTANTS
Lorraine Donahue, a document services supervisor from Shadyside, Ohio
Jon Gucinski, a security engineer originally from Naperville, Illinois
Drew Horwood, a business analyst from Minneapolis, Minnesota (whose 1-day cash winnings total $16,998)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Those of you who watch our program very carefully will have noticed, I'm sure, that so far this week, we've had two new champions, and those champions have come from the center position. Is that good news for Jon? Significant? I don't think so, but, Jon and Lorraine, welcome aboard. Drew, good to see you again. Let's go to work in the Jeopardy! Round, shall we? And here are your categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ALASKAN WILDLIFE (5/5)
"CROSS" WORD CLUES (5/5)
& WHAT DO YOU DO? (4/5) (Alex: Well, please give us the main occupation.)
GET YOUR IRISH UP (5/5)
POP GO THE LYRICS! (5/5)
WASHINGTON, D.C. SCULPTURE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Drew: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Jon: 9 R, 0 W
Lorraine: 9 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Drew found the Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Drew had $200, Jon was scoreless, and Lorraine had nothing in the bank. Drew made it a True Daily Double, wagering $200.

WASHINGTON, D.C. SCULPTURE $400: 73 years after his death, a statue of this musician was unveiled outside the band hall at the Marine Barracks

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jon: $3,000
Drew: $2,600
Lorraine: $2,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back. I have a bit of information here which indicates to me that this young lady, Lorraine Donahue, has a weird sense of humor. Tell me about the speech you and a friend gave when you were in college.

Lorraine: We had been doing orientation twice a day for incoming students, and we had this speech memorized backwards and forwards, so the very last speech of the week, we did it alternating every other word, and we got a standing ovation.

Alex: Standing ovation?

Lorraine: Yes, we did.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Jon Gucinski is originally from Illinois. He plays men's league hockey.

Jon: I do, Alex.

Alex: Now, when I played hockey, I came across a lot of guys who were getting all of their aggressions out on the ice surface. I understand that you may be doing that also. Are you the league leader in penalty minutes?

Jon: I, for about the last four to five years, have led the league every season.

[Laughter]

Alex: Why? What do you do? What's your most common penalty that you take?

Jon: A lot of hooking, a lot of slashing, a little bit of unsportsmanlike.

Alex: Really?!

[Laughter]

Alex: And this is in a women's league, right?

[Laughter]

Alex: Bad cat, you.

Alex: Drew Horwood is our champion. He's from Minnesota. Once refereed a special kind of wrestling tournament?

Drew: Yes. It was a jello wrestling tournament.

Alex: What?!

Drew: Yeah, my friends and I, on New Year's Eve, back in high school--we set up a jello wrestling tournament and filled a little kiddie pool in his garage with this jello-like material--it wasn't actual, you know, edible gelatin--and had a jello wrestling tournament for the rest of the night, and I refereed it because I had experience as a soccer referee and I was the only one who had whistles.

[Laughter]

Alex: "I was the only one who had whistles."

[Laughter]

Drew: It was forced upon me.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
& WHAT DO YOU DO? $1000: Renzo Piano &
Walter Gropius

WASHINGTON, D.C. SCULPTURE $1000: The statue of this president in the Capitol rotunda represents the state of Ohio
(Drew: Who is McKinley?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jon: $5,600
Lorraine: $5,400
Drew: $3,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WONKY LEAKS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE TONYS (3/5)
10-LETTER WORDS (5/5)
KNOW YOUR AREA CODES (2/5) (Alex: This'll be fun...)
QUOTES FILLED WITH BOOZE (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
COMIC STRIP CHARACTERS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lorraine: 8 R, 2 W (including 2 DDs)
Drew: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Jon: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lorraine snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Drew had $4,600, Jon had $4,800, and Lorraine was at $7,000. Lorraine wagered $2,000.

QUOTES FILLED WITH BOOZE $2000: The title character of this Eugene O'Neill play says, "gimme a whiskey--ginger ale on the side. And don't be stingy, baby"
(Lorraine: [no response])
(Alex: The play is [*], and the words were spoken famously by Greta Garbo in the movie.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Lorraine who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Drew had $8,200, Jon had $9,600, and Lorraine was at $11,800. Lorraine wagered $2,500.

WONKY LEAKS $1200: In 1774 he became a past postmaster after leaking letters from British loyalist Thomas Hutchinson
(Lorraine: Who is... oh, shoot.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
QUOTES FILLED WITH BOOZE $1600: Before lapsing into a coma, this Welsh poet supposedly said, "I've had 18 straight whiskies; I think that's the record"

COMIC STRIP CHARACTERS $2000: Fritzi Ritz; Sluggo; Rollo

KNOW YOUR AREA CODES $1200: For Buffalo dial 716; for this city of 2.6 million 100 miles away, dial 416

KNOW YOUR AREA CODES $1600: This state's 201 was the first area code to be used, in 1951

KNOW YOUR AREA CODES $2000: Give Akron a jingle with this area code, the lowest sequential one
(Alex: It's not 123. It's [*].)

THE TONYS $800: Anthony is the middle name of Samuel Alito; it's also the first name of this current benchmate
(Drew: Who is Scalia?)

THE TONYS $1600: This author is best known for his series of detective novels featuring Navajo tribal policeman Jim Chee

WONKY LEAKS $2000: Evidence suggests in 1848 Secretary of State James Buchanan leaked the terms of this Mexican-American War treaty

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Drew: $9,800
Jon: $9,600
Lorraine: $9,300

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. HISTORY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Drew: Wager $9,401 to cover Jon.
Jon: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Lorraine, hoping that you give the correct response and Drew doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $9,001 to cover Lorraine's doubled score, but no more than $9,200 if you want to top Drew on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $299 and win if both Drew and Lorraine miss Final.
Lorraine: You ought to try wagering between $301 and $8,700. This will top a $0 wager by Jon while still beating Drew and Jon on the Triple Stumper (should Drew wager to cover Jon's doubled score and Jon wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Congress has passed 11 of these: the first in 1812, the last in 1942

FINAL SCORES
Lorraine: $9,300 + $8,500 = $17,800 (What is a declaration of war?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Jon: $9,600 + $9,001 = $18,601 (What are declarations of war.) (2nd place: $2,000)
Drew: $9,800 + $9,401 = $19,201 (What are Declarations of War?) (2-day champion: $36,199)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Lorraine: $13,800, 17 R, 2 W (including 2 DDs)
Drew: $10,000, 16 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Jon: $9,600, 15 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $33,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Lorraine: 18/60 = .300
Drew: 17/59 = .288
Jon: 16/58 = .276
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ALASKAN WILDLIFE $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew observes a bear at Pavlof Harbor in Alaska.) Despite their name, brown bears can have black or brown fur, & the brown bear here has a conspicuous shoulder hump & silver-tinted fur, which gives it this name, meaning "gray," not "gruesome"

ALASKAN WILDLIFE $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew holds a crab at Lake Eva in Alaska.) In Alaska, only male dungeness crabs are legal to catch. You know a male because of the triangular shape of this, the third major part of a crab's body, along with head & thorax

ALASKAN WILDLIFE $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Glacier Bay in Alaska) The straw-colored plumes that curve backwards from behind the eyes are part of the breeding ornamentation of the tufted variety of this auk family member

ALASKAN WILDLIFE $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Glacier Bay in Alaska) With dense populations in coastal habitats, the murre is vulnerable to oil spoils. An estimated 185,000 murres were lost when this tanker spilled off Alaska in 1989

ALASKAN WILDLIFE $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew goes whale watching at Wachusett Cove in Alaska.) Humpbacks uniquely hunt using what's called a bubble net. The whales release a circle of bubbles under a school of fish, & as the air rises, a net forms, trapping the fish. The whales then swim up the net with open mouths, filtering food through these jawlike plates

QUOTES FILLED WITH BOOZE $800: Boswell quotes him: "claret is the liquor for boys; port, for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy"
(Jon: Who is Nelson?)

COMIC STRIP CHARACTERS $1200: Fiercely feminist friend Andrea seen here

THE TONYS $1200: He's the successful entrepreneur & breathtaking athlete seen here

CORRECT RESPONSES
John Philip Sousa
architects
Garfield
Anna Christie
Benjamin Franklin
Dylan Thomas
Nancy
Toronto
New Jersey
Anthony Kennedy
Tony Hillerman
the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo
declarations of war
grizzly
the abdomen
a puffin
the Exxon Valdez
baleen
(Samuel) Johnson
Cathy
Tony Hawk
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

U.S. History
Congress has passed 11 of these: the first in 1812, the last in 1942.

Spoiler
What are Declarations of War?

Drew Horwood: $9,800+$9,401=$19,201...now a 2-day champion with $36,199
Jon Gucinski: $9,600+$9,001=$18,601
Lorraine Donahue: $9,300+$8,500=$17,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

Guessing Lorraine will not look back fondly on that last DD bet. I've forgotten who (I'm sure many people here know), but someone gave up the lead on a late DD last week and lived to regret it. Meanwhile, Drew wins despite his infuriatingly conservative DD betting - $200 on a $400 clue in the first round? BET THE THOUSAND OH MY GOD.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

TryphonTournesol wrote:Guessing Lorraine will not look back fondly on that last DD bet. I've forgotten who (I'm sure many people here know), but someone gave up the lead on a late DD last week and lived to regret it. Meanwhile, Drew wins despite his infuriatingly conservative DD betting - $200 on a $400 clue in the first round? BET THE THOUSAND OH MY GOD.
It was probably Craig (from Friday's game). Dean also missed a late DD on Thursday, but he didn't have the lead beforehand. Craig did.
TryphonTournesol

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
TryphonTournesol wrote:Guessing Lorraine will not look back fondly on that last DD bet. I've forgotten who (I'm sure many people here know), but someone gave up the lead on a late DD last week and lived to regret it. Meanwhile, Drew wins despite his infuriatingly conservative DD betting - $200 on a $400 clue in the first round? BET THE THOUSAND OH MY GOD.
It was probably Craig (from Friday's game). Dean also missed a late DD on Thursday, but he didn't have the lead beforehand. Craig did.
That's the one. And his bet was $2500, too! I just went back and rewatched today's DJ! round, and Lorraine really did not have to bet that much. She was up $2200 at the time and there were only $3600 in clues left on the board - even if she were trying to ensure that she couldn't be caught from behind if one of the other two got both of those clues, she only needed to bet $1500 (or $1401 if you want to go that route). If everything plays out the same she still loses the lead prior to FJ, but she would have been in second instead of third, not that it mattered since everyone got the FJ (except for costing her a grand, I guess). But regardless, it doesn't seem like much strategy went into that one.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

When she hit the DD, the cores were....

Lorraine $11,800
Jon $9,600
Drew $8,200

If she bets $1,500 and gets it right, she has the lead going into FJ no matter what. If she is wrong, Drew would have to run the board to pass her. Jon could pass her by getting one right, but she could still claim the lad by getting the other one.

And a bet of $100 wouldn't have been horrible. If she is right, she shuts out Drew. If she is wrong, she can only be passed if one of the men gets both of the last two clues right.

So of course she bets where being wrong costs her the lead and gives Drew a chance to pass her by getting one clue right. So she goes from first to third by betting $1,000 too much.

Who would have thought Drew's DD bet wasn't the worst one of the game? At least his didn't cost him anything.

In the rerun game, there were clues about James Garfield and My Fair Lady. The new game had a statue of Garfield and Pygmalion.

I got FJ, but was a bit worried about declaring war in 1942.Who did we declare on that year?
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Bamaman wrote:Jon could pass her by getting one right, but she could still claim the lad by getting the other one.
I can see her: "I claim you, lad!"
;)
TryphonTournesol

Bamaman wrote:I got FJ, but was a bit worried about declaring war in 1942.Who did we declare on that year?
Bulgaria, Hungary, and Romania, as they were official members of the Axis although not among the three major powers whom we had already declared war upon in 1941. It's like we went, "Sigh, okay, you guys too, I guess."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I have never heard of any of the people in that & What Do You Do category. Should I really know those two dancers at $200?

Another animal category eats my lunch. I knew abdomen and baleen, but couldn't pull them out, and clammed on puffin since I thought they were more penguin-like in build. Oddly, grizzly bear was the only $200 that I got.

3/5 in Music. My misses were "Footloose" (I've only heard it twice that I recall, and one of those two times was a cover on Regular Show) and whatever $800 was.

====

Dylan Thomas was so overvalued at $1600 that I clammed on it.

That Area Codes category was stupid. Is there any reason I should know that 212 = New York when you're not going to give me any hints towards it? Or that Akron is 234? (Of course, Michigan was my only get since it was the only one that had a TOM.)

Somehow ran 10-Letter Words.

I thought for sure I'd run Comic Strips, but I've never read Dick Tracy, and have only passing familiarity with Doonesbury. (I did recognize "Zonker" as a character name, but too late.)

====

No guess on FJ! Those are a thing?!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Just in case anyone was wondering, these were the 11:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaratio ... tes#Formal
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

I agree that Lorraine made a bad wager on the last DD.

Picked up Lach Trash on Toronto and Hillerman.

FJ was an instaget. I predict it will run over 80% in the weekly poll.
gsn93
Contributor

Post by gsn93 »

Pretty easy Final in my book and got it right away.

I said "plagiarism" instead of "plagiarize" on Ten Letter Words clue. I'm going to assume they would take it.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Can't believe Garfield was a TS, although to be fair, McKinley IS from Ohio. As far as FJ, Declaration of War wasn't even on my radar, and I said "amendments" just to have something to say, although I did get the "Franklin" DD. I just remember him being postmaster, as Alex alluded to.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Near-instaget.
WWE helped me get shillelagh (His name is Finlay, and he loves to fight).
8 Mile confirmed Michigan (Everybody from the 313...).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

thenextofken wrote:Can't believe Garfield was a TS, although to be fair, McKinley IS from Ohio. As far as FJ, Declaration of War wasn't even on my radar, and I said "amendments" just to have something to say, although I did get the "Franklin" DD. I just remember him being postmaster, as Alex alluded to.
McKinley didn't have a bead. I knew Franklin was Postmaster General from Miracle on 34th Street. Though I did remember reading somewhere he was fired.
mpandl
Contributor

Post by mpandl »

The only down side of the game tonight was Lorraine's two DD hits but those two wrong answers, along with her wagers took her out of the lead, eventually losing the game. Other than that, this has to be one of the closest games I've seen heading into FJ!

Congrats to Drew for winning his 2nd game!

Also, in the area codes category in DJ, I actually cheated by looking them up on my cell phone, and I got 3/5 right in that category.
Last edited by mpandl on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mpandl
Contributor

Post by mpandl »

thenextofken wrote:Can't believe Garfield was a TS, although to be fair, McKinley IS from Ohio. As far as FJ, Declaration of War wasn't even on my radar, and I said "amendments" just to have something to say, although I did get the "Franklin" DD. I just remember him being postmaster, as Alex alluded to.
I said Grant for that clue.
TryphonTournesol

The Garfield one was tough - it was my only neg of the whole game. Hayes, his predecessor, was also from Ohio and also had a beard - and for that matter, Grant, right before Hayes, was ALSO born in Ohio and ALSO had a beard, though not to the same extreme as Hayes and Garfield. Wasn't much of a clue - picture of the Garfield statue and say he's a president from Ohio. I negged with Grant, which wasn't my best work, but Hayes (which would have been my second guess, as right after I said Grant I figured it was probably wrong) would have been a thoroughly reasonable guess in the absence of any other information besides "president from Ohio."
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Robbie Burns!