Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jeff6286 »

TryphonTournesol wrote:
bpmod wrote:I sort of precalled 416, but it was in a "they wouldn't do that, would they?" sort of way.
I had to think about that one for a second. "City of 2.6 million that's only a hundred miles from Buffalo? But America only even has... oh wait a minute."
Yeah, I never even considered going across the border. The only city I could even throw out as a guess was Cleveland, which isn't that far off, being about 200 miles from Buffalo, and having a metro (not city) population of around two million.

TenPoundHammer: Would the names Bo Schembechler, Lloyd Carr, or Rich Rodriguez have rung any bells in the "name their profession" category? Just wondering.
Golf

Post by Golf »

TenPoundHammer wrote: 212 — Never had any reason to know any area code not in my own state
Are you trying to tell us you've never called any phone number outside Michigan? Not once?

Nothing to say about wagering that hasn't already been said.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Golf wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: 212 — Never had any reason to know any area code not in my own state
Are you trying to tell us you've never called any phone number outside Michigan? Not once?
I think he means his mental state.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeff6286 wrote:TenPoundHammer: Would the names Bo Schembechler, Lloyd Carr, or Rich Rodriguez have rung any bells in the "name their profession" category? Just wondering.
No, no, and no.
Golf wrote:Are you trying to tell us you've never called any phone number outside Michigan? Not once?
Why would I ever need to?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Golf wrote:Are you trying to tell us you've never called any phone number outside Michigan? Not once?
Why would I ever need to?
Now I know you're putting us on.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I agree with many of you that Dylan Thomas being a triple stumper, given "Welsh poet" in an alcohol-themed category, was a real shout-at-the-TV moment.

As soon as I saw "Comic Strip Characters", I thought to myself, "I'll be embarrassed if I don't run this category." It's definitely something I think of as one of my wheelhouses. When all three contestants missed "Nancy" at $2000, I shouted at the TV, "You people don't know your history!"

I got FJ after about two seconds of puzzlement. The dates were the big clue. I didn't previously "know" this fact, but I do remember reading somewhere that some of the well-known armed conflicts of the last 60 years happened without a formal declaration of war, and therefore that the list of countries on which the United States has formally declared war is a smaller list than one might think.

I also was confused by the bottom clue in Area Codes. I didn't know what they meant until Alex revealed the correct response.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Seriously. I have no friends or family out-of-state whose numbers I know. That's why I have an Internet connection. Tell me WHY I would need to ever call someone out of state.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OKlibrarian
Valued Contributor

Post by OKlibrarian »

OK game for me, I've been training myself to clam more but I think i overdid it today, probably left at least 5K on the table. I was amazed at the DD choices as well. Blanked on shillelagh, don't tell my Ireland-loving Mother in law. Area codes was BRUTAL--1 yes, 3 clams and a no on the $1600 one. I also picked up Lach Trash with Die-lan ;) Thomas and Tony Hillerman.
groovitude
Valued Contributor

Post by groovitude »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
marpocky wrote:212 is the area code of Manhattan, and is one of the most well-known in, admittedly, an esoteric field of trivia.
City of >2 million near Buffalo? Gotta be Toronto. Or Chicago, if you ask Watson. Granted, tough to make the international leap here.
201 for New Jersey? I'll give you that there was not enough TOM on this one. Definitely no way to get that unless you know it.
The TOM for 234 (Akron) was that it's sequential. You had to know here that area codes can't start with a 1 (or a 0).
212 — Never had any reason to know any area code not in my own state, so this went over my head. I don't recall Buffalo being in the next clue. And the fact that area codes can't start with 1 or 0 is new to me.
If you're a Seinfeld fan, you may have remembered the 212 area code from the episode "The Maid."

0 and 1 are both prefixes reserved for country codes. The simple "1" is the country code for the US. You still use it within the county if you're dialing outside of your area code -- hence "1-800" numbers. 0 is used as part of an exit code -- for example, to call from the US to the UK, you first dial 011-44.
Golf

Post by Golf »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Seriously. I have no friends or family out-of-state whose numbers I know. That's why I have an Internet connection. Tell me WHY I would need to ever call someone out of state.
Most of us have literally hundreds of business reasons to call out of state numbers. And all of us have countless home business reasons to do so.

But yeah, after a couple of your comments about this it's gotten a wee bit out of hand.
Last edited by Golf on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skullturf

Post by skullturf »

Oh, and I didn't hazard a guess on area code 201. I was thinking, "Probably an East Coast state, and New York has already come up, so maybe Pennsylvania or Massachusetts?" But I remained clam.

It occurs to me only now, a good half hour after watching the episode, that I think Bell Labs is located in New Jersey. I wonder if that's related, and/or if the clue writers thought that made it a little more gettable.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

When I was young, my friend's baby sister picked up the phone one day and started punching in numbers. She dialed 1-212-345-6789 and got a person on the other end. I don't know what they talked about for 17 minutes, but my friend's parents were not impressed. But they were all shocked when I said "She called Manhattan?!" because they only knew by the line on the phone bill that that was where she called.

Brian

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

skullturf wrote:It occurs to me only now, a good half hour after watching the episode, that I think Bell Labs is located in New Jersey. I wonder if that's related, and/or if the clue writers thought that made it a little more gettable.
Yes. My impression was that they thought it would be obvious that the state where Bells Labs was would be the first to get an area code.

Brian

TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

skullturf wrote:Oh, and I didn't hazard a guess on area code 201. I was thinking, "Probably an East Coast state, and New York has already come up, so maybe Pennsylvania or Massachusetts?" But I remained clam.

It occurs to me only now, a good half hour after watching the episode, that I think Bell Labs is located in New Jersey. I wonder if that's related, and/or if the clue writers thought that made it a little more gettable.
Bell Labs is in New Jersey. When area codes were first introduced, 201 covered the whole state (now it's only part of the north section) and 0 in the middle was for area codes that covered an entire state. Maybe due to a combination of Bell Labs and its population density/proximity to New York, New Jersey got the number that took the least possible time to dial on a rotary phone while still having a 0 in the middle. (This is also why major cities have such low combined numbers, like 212 in New York and 312 in Chicago.) So it does make sense. Still, had I not lived in New Jersey, I doubt if I would have known it stone-cold, and $1600 is a lot to risk on a guess. Kind of a toughie absent any giveaway information.
groovitude
Valued Contributor

Post by groovitude »

skullturf wrote:Oh, and I didn't hazard a guess on area code 201. I was thinking, "Probably an East Coast state, and New York has already come up, so maybe Pennsylvania or Massachusetts?" But I remained clam.

Bell Labs was not a singular location, but the majority of their facilities were in New Jersey.

There are a number of provisions in the original area code plan that have been subsequently been scrapped for various reasons. For example, if the middle digit was a zero, that was supposed to indicate that the area code covered the entire state. 201 was thereby given to New Jersey, rather than giving the fewest amount of rotary clicks to New York City.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Golf wrote:Most of us have literally hundreds of business reasons to call out of state numbers. And all of us have countless home business reasons to do so.
And some of us work at a church, where the only people we ever have to call live within a half-hour.
skullturf

Post by skullturf »

Some of what I know about area codes comes from reading, some time ago, that initial assignment of area codes wasn't arbitrary. In the days when phones had dials, digits like 1 or 2 or 3 took less time to dial than digits like 8 or 9 or 0. With thousands of calls, that extra time would add up. So it was very deliberate to give area codes like 212, 213, 312, and 313 to high-population places like NYC, LA, Chicago, and Detroit, and area codes like 907 to Alaska.

I also remember seeing the 212 area code frequently on the masthead of magazines I read. Rightly or wrongly, anything New-York-centric can be considered to be somewhat fair game for the rest of the country. I happen to remember noticing, again from the mastheads of magazines and whatnot, that NYC zip codes tended to look like 100xx, like perhaps 10022.
OKlibrarian
Valued Contributor

Post by OKlibrarian »

Pretty sure that's why--it was an instaget for Hubby and that was his logic.
groovitude
Valued Contributor

Post by groovitude »

skullturf wrote:Some of what I know about area codes comes from reading, some time ago, that initial assignment of area codes wasn't arbitrary. In the days when phones had dials, digits like 1 or 2 or 3 took less time to dial than digits like 8 or 9 or 0. With thousands of calls, that extra time would add up. So it was very deliberate to give area codes like 212, 213, 312, and 313 to high-population places like NYC, LA, Chicago, and Detroit, and area codes like 907 to Alaska.

I also remember seeing the 212 area code frequently on the masthead of magazines I read. Rightly or wrongly, anything New-York-centric can be considered to be somewhat fair game for the rest of the country. I happen to remember noticing, again from the mastheads of magazines and whatnot, that NYC zip codes tended to look like 100xx, like perhaps 10022.
100xx tends to be in Manhattan; your example would be on the east side of the island. The outer boroughs have their own sets of zip codes -- Queens and Brooklyn occupy a number of 11xxx zip codes.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote:The FJ clue had only one thing to guess as far as I could determine. Figuring out the terminology had me go with Declarations of War. I would hope it would go 3/3 on the show.
Agreed. I originally wrote down "act of war" then crossed it out and wrote declaration. The years should lead most people to the answer then it's just a question of terminology, as you said.

Went with everyone's favorite president with the middle name "Birchard" for the Ohio statue one. Damn those bearded Ohio presidents!