Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by kickerofelves »

econgator wrote:Maybe he means 514, which is Montreal ... which I only know as I had to dial it on Wednesday. :)
You called an area code OTHER THAN YOUR OWN? Who does that? That's just crazy talk!

;) :roll:
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

kickerofelves wrote:
econgator wrote:Maybe he means 514, which is Montreal ... which I only know as I had to dial it on Wednesday. :)
You called an area code OTHER THAN YOUR OWN? Who does that? That's just crazy talk!

How do you dial all these area code numbers? All I know are longs and shorts!! :twisted:
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
kickerofelves wrote:

How do you dial all these area code numbers? All I know are longs and shorts!! :twisted:
Oh, you and your fancy city ways.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

jkbrat wrote:Ohio was insufficiently specific for me to narrow it down (I was thinking Taft).
Naw, if it were Taft there'd be a note at the bottom: "Continued on Next Statue."
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

Paucle wrote:
jkbrat wrote:Ohio was insufficiently specific for me to narrow it down (I was thinking Taft).
Naw, if it were Taft there'd be a note at the bottom: "Continued on Next Statue."
Good point! -- forgot about the whole bathtub thing.

"I think we're gonna need a bigger pedestal"
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

jkbrat wrote:
Paucle wrote:
Good point! -- forgot about the whole bathtub thing.

"I think we're gonna need a bigger pedestal"
He's been added to the Washington Nationals Racing Presidents, but the general consensus is that he's not wide enough.

Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

econgator wrote:
bpmod wrote:I hope you're not saying that 415 is a Canadian area code.

Brian
Maybe he means 514, which is Montreal ... which I only know as I had to dial it on Wednesday. :)
My comment meant I got this wrong. ;) - I didn't know where 416 was, so I guessed on that one. As I said I know where 415 is. :(
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Sherm wrote:
FJ, I knew what they wanted immediately. My brain could not come up with the word "declaration" for my life. I ended up writing "What is a resolution to go to war?" It's one like that would be very interesting to see if it would fly or not.
That's a valid question. Most of the Declarations contain the language "Be it resolved," so I think you could call them resolutions. However, there have been "resolutions" assenting to many military actions since 1942, including the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan - they just weren't called declarations of war, e.g., Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002. Are those resolutions to go to war too?
I wrote "war resolutions," then in the last few seconds realized "declarations" was better. So I scrawled an amendment, and my pad read WAR and then DECLARATIONS right above RESOLUTIONS. If I'd had a few more seconds, I might have scratched out the last word, but as it stands, I'm still inclined to count it.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
marpocky wrote:I'm sure you've encountered the name of Michael Flatley, aka "Lord of the Dance," at some point in your life.
The only "Lord of the Dance" I've ever heard of is that Christian song set to the tune of "Simple Gifts".
marpocky wrote:212 is the area code of Manhattan, and is one of the most well-known in, admittedly, an esoteric field of trivia.
City of >2 million near Buffalo? Gotta be Toronto. Or Chicago, if you ask Watson. Granted, tough to make the international leap here.
201 for New Jersey? I'll give you that there was not enough TOM on this one. Definitely no way to get that unless you know it.
The TOM for 234 (Akron) was that it's sequential. You had to know here that area codes can't start with a 1 (or a 0).
212 — Never had any reason to know any area code not in my own state, so this went over my head. I don't recall Buffalo being in the next clue. And the fact that area codes can't start with 1 or 0 is new to me.
marpocky wrote:Oof. This is high-school level civics here, at the very most. Maybe even middle school.
I remember nothing from my history classes.
You remember nothing, except your password to log into this forum.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Years ago, they had a clue that said "All area codes have one of these two numbers as the middle digit". It wound up being a stand and stare.

I could not believe none of them could come up with that. Did they not know their own area code, which would have given them the answer?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:Years ago, they had a clue that said "All area codes have one of these two numbers as the middle digit". It wound up being a stand and stare.

I could not believe none of them could come up with that. Did they not know their own area code, which would have given them the answer?
Maybe they were all from another continent.

I agree. If both were asked for, it might have been a little more difficult. But, yes, if they are asking for only one, jump in and pick the one that's in the middle of your own area code. (Of course, since that clue has become outdated, two of my (4) area codes have the middle digit 8.)

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Yes, it was a long time ago. But even if both were asked for, it would have been a good guess what the other one was if you knew your own had a zero or one in the middle.
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

Onairb wrote:You remember nothing, except your password to log into this forum.
Probably saved in the browser.
someday
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by someday »

That area code category reminded me of this FJ clue from 1999.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2432

Never forgot it!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

someday wrote:That area code category reminded me of this FJ clue from 1999.

Never forgot it!
Returning champ: "Nah, I won already, you go ahead and win." (It didn't make a difference, but the winner paid it forward in the next game all the same.)
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Bamaman wrote:Years ago, they had a clue that said "All area codes have one of these two numbers as the middle digit". It wound up being a stand and stare.

If the clue was phrased exactly as you typed it here, doesn't the placement of the word "these" imply that the clue would be asking for both numbers?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Sorry, I'm pretty sure they were just asking for one. I should have written "One of the two numbers......"
someday
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by someday »

seaborgium wrote:
someday wrote:That area code category reminded me of this FJ clue from 1999.

Never forgot it!
Returning champ: "Nah, I won already, you go ahead and win." (It didn't make a difference, but the winner paid it forward in the next game all the same.)
:lol: It's all about sharing the wealth.