Wednesday, March 13, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

marpocky
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by marpocky »

Instaget FJ.

I've been out of town, so I haven't seen the episodes this week, but I'm playing FJ as they get posted in the threads.

Seems like Drew is continuing his streak of doing very well in J/DJ then getting lucky in FJ.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Swept "Ob", capitals, odes to TV shows (which is hilarious because my teevee is mostly used for sports).

Mild hesitation on FJ!- like many boardies, thought they might be looking for a city, but I see the Times of India pop up on Google News a lot.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

BigDaddyJ wrote:Has a 7-day champion ever had a lower dollar total in regular play?
No; the previous low mark was Dan Pawson's 7-day total of $126,301. Tom Kavanaugh's $114,602 from games 2-8 is still the lowest winnings for seven consecutive games by one contestant.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Drew wrote:Image
Pretty much.
jmenjes
Figment of Imagination

Post by jmenjes »

Add me to the list of those who went with New Delhi for FJ.

4/5 in TV shows, Time Man of the Year, Just Drive, Surgery, and "Ob"; ran Animal Similes and Grammies.

Much better effort for me tonight as compared to last night.
"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up anyway." -- Walt Disney
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

FJ misdirected me quite well too, thinking of cities. Started with China (Beijing? Hong Kong? Nah...) then went over water to Tokyo. Just couldn't make it to India; not at all familiar with the existence of the Times of India either.

Proud of my Neil Simon get, solely thanks to Murder by Death.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I, too, felt led to name a city in FJ. For some reason, I was pretty convinced it was the Times of Mumbai.
SavoyGirl
One Day Wonder, Class of 1996

Post by SavoyGirl »

MarkBarrett wrote:Is Mueller such an uncommon name that seeing it made people wonder about a relation to Pam Mueller? I've seen that surname enough times that I never made the connection. To me the women don't look alike.
Funny thing was, when Jillian came on the screen, a split second before her name was revealed, I got a feeling she looked familiar, so when the name Mueller was announced, my mind leaped to the most familiar Mueller in my mental universe. Maybe it's not an uncommon name, but that's the person I think of when I hear that name. Especially while watching JEOPARDY!

Also, they said she was from Washington and Pam did live in that area around the time of the UTOC. If Mueller is Jillian's married name, then perhaps her husband is Pam's brother?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Volante wrote:FJ misdirected me quite well too, thinking of cities. Started with China (Beijing? Hong Kong? Nah...) then went over water to Tokyo. Just couldn't make it to India; not at all familiar with the existence of the Times of India either.
I started on a similar path upon first glance at the clue, thinking about Beijing or Tokyo, thinking the answer would be one of the world's most populous cities. Then I noticed "English daily", and thought of India, where I debated between Mumbai and Delhi, feeling pretty sure that New Delhi is a very small city, despite being the national capital. I went with Mumbai, feeling that I had a pretty decent chance of being correct. India being correct was a bit of a headslapper, as I've surely seen the words "Times of India" plenty of times, but never even considered naming something other than a city. In hindsight, the key part of the clue should have been 'the "Times of" this place', as for most newspapers that clue would have read 'The "Times of" this city'.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote:I debated between Mumbai and Delhi, feeling pretty sure that New Delhi is a very small city, despite being the national capital.
Keep in mind New Delhi is wholly contained within the larger metropolis of Delhi. Delhi is the second largest metro in India after Mumbai.

Looked it up and the Times of India is headquartered in Mumbai, by the way.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I am in love with Drew's wager on tonight's Final.

That's all I'm going to say tonight about this.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

econgator wrote:
Paucle wrote:I too thought they were looking for a city in India.
Me three.
My first thought was Mumbai, then I thought of the Times of India. Went back and forth and decided to stick with Mumbai. :(
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Showing my complete lack of comprehension, I somehow got it in my head that because London was in the clue, the correct answer would also be a city in England. But what? Liverpool? Birmingham? None were making any sense, and I couldn't figure out any other way to interpret the clue.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Add me to the list who went with Times Of Mumbai.

Mark Barrett has his work cut out for him in putting together the extra questions for the weekly poll
Sage on the Hudson

The writers are flighty, the paper sounds as if it's from Blighty

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

jeff6286 wrote:NewspapersThe circulation of the Times of New York & London totals about 1/2 the "Times of" this place, largest of any English daily.
TenPoundHammer wrote:No guess on FJ! India wouldn't have come to me in a million years.
Just when you think the writers can't construct a stupider, more misleading clue than some of the howlers they've had in the past, they outdo themselves.

"English" more than suggests that the paper's published in England. Any reasonable person would come to that conclusion.

The Times of India is an English-LANGUAGE daily, and certainly not "English."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

harrumph wrote:Add me to the list who went with Times Of Mumbai.

Mark Barrett has his work cut out for him in putting together the extra questions for the weekly poll
How about "I picked a city in India for Wednesday's FJ"?
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I have read The Times of India, and knew the question HAD to be pointing to India, yet I said Mumbai. Just kept thinking city. Oh well.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: The writers are flighty, the paper sounds as if it's from Blighty

Post by Bamaman »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:NewspapersThe circulation of the Times of New York & London totals about 1/2 the "Times of" this place, largest of any English daily.
TenPoundHammer wrote:No guess on FJ! India wouldn't have come to me in a million years.
Just when you think the writers can't construct a stupider, more misleading clue than some of the howlers they've had in the past, they outdo themselves.

"English" more than suggests that the paper's published in England. Any reasonable person would come to that conclusion.

The Times of India is an English-LANGUAGE daily, and certainly not "English."
They also told us it wasn't the New York Times. Is that paper published in England?
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

econgator wrote:
Paucle wrote:I too thought they were looking for a city in India.
Me three.
I went in the wrong direction (literally and figuratively). I figured they were looking for a large English-speaking area outside of the UK and North America, and went with the first thing that came to mind -- Hong Kong.

It was right after the think music finished that "oh [bleep], India!" came into my brain, but I would have focused on a city rather than the entire country; probably would have grabbed Mumbai.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I got as far as "They must want a city in India" before time ran out and I was left with a blank page.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.