Tuesday, April 9, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Tuesday, April 9, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Steppenwolf »

Ryan, Adam and Salvo... both three very strong contestants... any one could have won...
Best of luck for kickerofelves to continue on for a few more wins...
Last edited by Steppenwolf on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

sorry ... grammar blurp... all three, not both three
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Steppenwolf wrote:sorry ... grammar blurp... all three, not both three
man, if only we could edit our posts! ;)
alietr
Site Admin

Re: How 'bout a "Stupid Questions" category? Indigo, out dey come

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote:Heh ... wasn't even paying attention to that.

Well, it wasn't me. :)
I'll fess up; it was me. When I see someone has posted in today's game's thread, I glance quickly at it to make sure it's not spam while attempting not to spoil myself. If it looks reasonably legit, I let it through. Which was the case here. Trying to strike a balance between getting people's post up promptly and not spoiling myself can be tricky sometimes.
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

Austin Powers wrote:The champ hurt himself when he refused to DD hunt late. That $2000 in military abbreviations shouted DD, and he let the guy at the other end get the easy money.
Hi, guy at the other end here, nice to meet you. ;)
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

Bamaman wrote:Good job by Adam to guess something on the last clue, but he got it wrong. Still, it all didn't matter as Adam got FJ and would have won even if he had missed it. Also, good FJ bet by Adam to shut out Salvo to guarantee second place.
Thanks for the strategic props. :) Yeah, the last clue was kind of everything-to-gain/nothing-to-lose, so basically took a WAG and played 'name a Stravinsky ballet'. Certainly HEARD of Petrouchka, but would never have come up with it. I was between Rite of Spring and The Firebird, and The Firebird seemed more obviously wrong.
TomC4253
Valued Contributor

Post by TomC4253 »

nserven wrote:1949 seemed right for the year, and I knew of at least two popular revival productions of DotS (one starring Brian Dennehy, the other Philip Seymour Hoffman, which was last year). I didn’t know if they won Tonys, but it seemed a reasonable guess.

Edited to add: Or what Tom said, though I seem to remember J! referring to Dennehy's performance more than once.
Dennehy won best actor for his portrayal of Willy Loman. I remember that he suffered a mild heart attack early in the run. One of the first people he thanked in his acceptance speech was his cardiologist.
No, no, no! There's no crying in Jeopardy!
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

kickerofelves wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Good job by Adam to guess something on the last clue, but he got it wrong. Still, it all didn't matter as Adam got FJ and would have won even if he had missed it. Also, good FJ bet by Adam to shut out Salvo to guarantee second place.
Thanks for the strategic props. :) Yeah, the last clue was kind of everything-to-gain/nothing-to-lose, so basically took a WAG and played 'name a Stravinsky ballet'. Certainly HEARD of Petrouchka, but would never have come up with it. I was between Rite of Spring and The Firebird, and The Firebird seemed more obviously wrong.
That clue was one of the few times I would have buzzed, because I knew the response was in my head somewhere, and hoped I could spit out the answer in time. Got as far as Pulcinella and knew it was still wrong. :(
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Linear Gnome wrote:That clue was one of the few times I would have buzzed, because I knew the response was in my head somewhere, and hoped I could spit out the answer in time. Got as far as Pulcinella and knew it was still wrong
Here's perhaps the weirdest QFT ever. This was my thought process almost exactly! (My sister is a professional dancer, first for the Pennsylvania Ballet and later for the Carolina Ballet Theatre. She now is co-director of the Raleigh School of Ballet.
I grew up watching a lot of ballet and was going crazy trying to remember Stravinsky's puppet one with no luck. Other than Pulcinella I had Coppélia but not only was I sure it was the wrong composer, it was also just a single "puppet" (a doll, actually).
The weirdest thing though: the reveal wasn't exactly a head slap! Yes, I could've picked it out of an MC list, but no way I was going to pull it on my own, no matter how much time. I've never seen it, only heard of it.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

To add to the list of wrong FJ answers I've read in this thread:

I WAGGED Our Town.

On other fronts I picked up $2K Lach Trash for Petrouchka.

Sorry to see Salvo go. He had rather a rough day.
TryphonTournesol
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by TryphonTournesol »

John Boy wrote:To add to the list of wrong FJ answers I've read in this thread:

I WAGGED Our Town.
My wife also guessed Our Town, and she's actually something of a theater person.
flyersfan68
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by flyersfan68 »

I echo what several others have written. Nice to finally see you play (and win), Adam...and congratulations to Salvo on a good run!
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

Linear Gnome wrote:
kickerofelves wrote:
That clue was one of the few times I would have buzzed, because I knew the response was in my head somewhere, and hoped I could spit out the answer in time. Got as far as Pulcinella and knew it was still wrong. :(
For me it was Petruchio for Petrushka. Knew it wasn't right even as I said it ("No, wait -- he's that Shakespeare guy!"), but had already rung in so had to take the $2k hit.
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

dhkendall wrote:I promised I'd ask here, since two out of the three players (Adam and Salvo) are boardies (and also, the two that got FJ! right), what was it that gave you this? Despite majoring in theatre in university (albeit 20 years ago now) I do horrible in theatre questions, there was a few that I could think of that I thought were from that time (pretty much anything by Tennessee Williams for one (Streetcar was my answer)) and, yes, I even considered Salesman, but there wasn't anything that distinguished Salesman from any of the other famous plays from the 1940s and 1950s that have been continuously popular (again, anything by Williams would qualify, non?)
I think this was one of those clues where a surfeit of knowledge would hurt a contestant. Tony Awards would ordinarily be a bad category for me, but I picked what I thought was the most obvious answer - after all, if I have heard of a play being revived, it must be a big deal.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

jkbrat wrote:For me it was Petruchio for Petrushka. Knew it wasn't right even as I said it ("No, wait -- he's that Shakespeare guy!"), but had already rung in so had to take the $2k hit.
At least you didn't say Pinocchio! (That was almost my slip-of-the-tongue answer.)
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

Congrats, Adam!
Twitter: @jfrumkin
Patronaut
One-Day Jeopardy Champ 3/26/2013

Post by Patronaut »

Congrats, Adam. Good luck tonight!
"Physics is to mathematics as sex is to masturbation." - Richard Feynman.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

This was a heavyweight match that felt like a TOC game.

For FJ, from my armchair I wrote down Death Of A Salesman and stuck with it for the first 29 and 3/4 seconds, when I suddenly wanted to switch to Streetcar Named Desire.... I'm giving myself credit as I wouldn't have had time to cross it out and write Streetcar. I have an old newspaper clipping from that period, it's a page of Broadway theater listings, it's amazing how many well known first run plays with well known actors were showing nightly.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:The Jack London category was the kind to use the Bob Harris strategy to think about the category during the break. The Call of the Wild was a given to show up somewhere. I expected White Fang as well. I'm glad the writers did not use The Sea-Wolf or Captain Larsen as I spent all the commercials unable to recall either. Boxing and CA required no JL knowledge. Fire made sense after hearing it.
"To Build a Fire" is famous for being rewritten by London with a different ending. And with a dog added, but that's not the famous part. Literature classes will often assign both versions with an eye to discussing the differences.
Spoiler
In the original 1902 version, the man succeeds in building the fire and survives, albeit with some irreversible frostbite damage.

In the 1908 version, the man succeeds in building the fire. He does so under a spruce tree from which he keeps plucking branches to feed the flames. Eventually, the tree dumps the snow from its branches on the fire, dousing it. He does not succeed in getting a new fire going.
What surprised me was The Call of the Wild in the $1000 slot. If you know nothing else about Jack London, you know TCoftW. Had the clues been taken in order (they weren't) there would have been the added advantage of knowing that this hadn't already been a correct response.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote:What surprised me was The Call of the Wild in the $1000 slot. If you know nothing else about Jack London, you know TCoftW. Had the clues been taken in order (they weren't) there would have been the added advantage of knowing that this hadn't already been a correct response.
I said that already. TCotW is literally the only thing I know about Jack London, so I was expecting it at $200.

And I still think China, Japan, or any of the other countries with more than double Canada's population COULD have been legit answers.