Monday, May 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Monday, May 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote: I'm right. My guess is that Bamaman posted the clue (and incorrect response) from memory, after he saw my request for someone else to post it, because I thought I might not get to see the show last night. I saw it after all, and went ahead and posted mine because his was off by a couple words.
Weird, cause I swore I saw 'flyer' too...heh. And, I guess 'Radio' was enough to trigger 'Flyer' then.
Either way, the pump needed priming, cause Marconi + Lindbergh just didn't cut it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

Great game by all three-I am impressed by Mike's 3-day total.
I'm willing to humiliate myself here by not getting Radio Flyer-got stuck on Guglielmo & Charles for way too long.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote:By the way, this week's video on jeopardy.com has a clip of Chris Cook's dad Gerry Cook.
I gambled that there was no spoiler on the clip and took a look. Whew! No results given away. After Gerry Cook was shown there was then a shot of the 5x champ. That's Richard Perez-Pena who made the 1988 TOC. Put Richard's name into a Google or YouTube search and you can see what 20+ years later look like. Richard also won on (I'm thinking it has to be) "Sale of the Century."

With different recollections here of the Radio Flyer wagon it prompted me to pull out an old photo album. Here's me sometime during the LBJ administration and yes, there was a time hair could cover my forehead.

It was also probably one of the rare times my parents could get a hat, mittens and zipped-up coat on me.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I don't regard it as gospel. Don't I get any credit for saying I looked at the Radio Flyer web site first and then WP?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

MarkBarrett wrote: I gambled that there was no spoiler on the clip and took a look. Whew! No results given away. After Gerry Cook was shown there was then a shot of the 5x champ. That's Richard Perez-Pena who made the 1988 TOC. Put Richard's name into a Google or YouTube search and you can see what 20+ years later look like. Richard also won on (I'm thinking it has to be) "Sale of the Century."
What makes you think Richard was on $otC. He hasn't been on any of the 41 NBC episodes spanning November 1988-2/1/89 GSN has aired so far(they're airing 65 episodes spanning from 11/88 through the end of the run, with THanksgiving week, two Xmas weeks, and two other episodes skipped over)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

legendneverdies wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: I gambled that there was no spoiler on the clip and took a look. Whew! No results given away. After Gerry Cook was shown there was then a shot of the 5x champ. That's Richard Perez-Pena who made the 1988 TOC. Put Richard's name into a Google or YouTube search and you can see what 20+ years later look like. Richard also won on (I'm thinking it has to be) "Sale of the Century."
What makes you think Richard was on $otC. He hasn't been on any of the 41 NBC episodes spanning November 1988-2/1/89 GSN has aired so far(they're airing 65 episodes spanning from 11/88 through the end of the run, with THanksgiving week, two Xmas weeks, and two other episodes skipped over)
What makes you doubt my memory? Only players who have been rerun on GSN this year can be recalled? J! is the not the only game show I have watched faithfully. I was a regular viewer of $otC from Jim Perry's start in 1983. Curtis Warren did both shows of course, Mort Kamins, Ian Barondiss, David Rogers/Nagy... In 1987 I would have been sure it was $otC. In 2013 I hold out a small touch of doubt in case it's TTD, The Challengers, Joker's Wild, Name That Tune...

In thinking about it more I'm sure I have the right show for the prior appearance.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:
What makes you doubt my memory?
Oh Snap! I think we're about to have a nerd-off! What you got, Zach?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I got to Radio Flyer fairly quickly after ditching Charles Gugliemo as a dead end, but then spent the rest of Think Music tormenting myself over whether they were looking for "Radio Flyer wagon" or just "wagon" since the question asked for a "plaything" and not the company name.
legendneverdies

MarkBarrett wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:
Didn't mean to say it that way. If you remember it, you probably remember it better than I would. I remember some things from my misspent youth, but not everything :). Two other Richards, Heft(Cash jackpot in 1983), and White(11 time champ in the Winner's board format), were big winners on $otC. Richard White's wife Rani of course is the only $50K winner on the Winner's Big Money Game format, but she won before the episodes GSN or USA aired with that format(USA aired from late Summer 1988-March 21 1989 plus the 300 or so episode Jan 1985-Sep 86 syndicated run)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

legendneverdies wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:
Didn't mean to say it that way. If you remember it, you probably remember it better than I would. I remember some things from my misspent youth, but not everything :). Two other Richards, Heft(Cash jackpot in 1983), and White(11 time champ in the Winner's board format), were big winners on $otC. Richard White's wife Rani of course is the only $50K winner on the Winner's Big Money Game format, but she won before the episodes GSN or USA aired with that format(USA aired from late Summer 1988-March 21 1989 plus the 300 or so episode Jan 1985-Sep 86 syndicated run)
I was wrong and right. Richard Perez-Pena was on the syndicated version of $otC in April 1985, but he did not win. He had the misfortune to face Alice Conkwright. Alice also defeated Pieter DeVries of Tic Tac Dough success in a previous game.
legendneverdies

MarkBarrett wrote:
I was wrong and right. Richard Perez-Pena was on the syndicated version of $otC in April 1985, but he did not win. He had the misfortune to face Alice Conkwright. Alice also defeated Pieter DeVries of Tic Tac Dough success in a previous game.
Alice game six where she wins the lot airs tomorrow on GSN at 10AM EST. It aired originally on 4/8/85, which is the same day Mark Decarlo(later Studs host) won his 11th game on the NBC version and the $50K in the WInner's board, thanks to his opponent missing a tiebreaker. Alice day six features Irwin Moskovitz, who lost on J! on 1/30/87 to Nancy Neff, who won her game that day. The other player that day was 2xer Rex Schultz, who won $80K on Tic Tac Dough in 1983-84($50K is all he was allowed to keep because Tic aired on WCBS that season and had to abide by CBS rules)