Calling All TOCers Class of 2004

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Calling All TOCers Class of 2004

Post by MarkBarrett »

The field is sorted by success in the TOC.

Russ Schumacher (4 wins) $64,800 (finals winner)
Tom Walsh (7) $184,900 (finals 2nd)
Arthur Gandolfi (4) $137,300 (finals 3rd)
Anne Boyd (4) $84,600 (semis)
Chris Miller (5) $123,597 (semis)
Vinita Kailasanath (C) $50,000 (semis)
Tom Baker (3) $102,300 (semis)
Seth Alcorn (3) 106,400 (semis)
Steve Reynolds (4) $75,102 (semis)
Scott Renzoni (4) $112,998 (quarters)
Keith Williams (C) $50,000 (quarters)
John Beck (5) $117,099 (quarters)
Sean Ryan (6) $123,797 (quarters)
Jim Stalley (4) $84,100 (quarters)
Sam Ott (4) $67,102 (quarters)

Gold chances for the 45: Tom Walsh

Silver chances for the 45: Russ Schumacher and Chris Miller

Bronze chances for the 45: Arthur Gandolfi, Anne Boyd, Vinita Kailasanath

Copper chances for the 45: John Beck, Keith Williams, Sean Ryan

Tom Walsh's 7 wins and 2nd place in the TOC will trump the credentials of the rest of the field.

Russ as a TOC winner was one of the few 4x champs in the UTOC. He may not make the cut this time. Chris was Elite 18 in the UTOC, so give him a chance to lose a fifth game of J!

It is tough to completely write off any TOC finalist, so I don't have Arthur lower. Anne and Vinita had good showings in the TOC and Vinita won her first UTOC match.

John Beck gets Copper for winning a UTOC match and Keith as college champ and great losing effort in the UTOC is there as well. Sean Ryan as the first 6x winner had a bye in the UTOC. This time he could be just a bye bye.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Calling All TOCers Class of 2004

Post by Bamaman »

Why do you list some seasons by TOC performance and some by regular game play?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote:Why do you list some seasons by TOC performance and some by regular game play?
I wish I knew what counts for more with the powers. Regular money won, numbers of wins or TOC performance? Then I could be consistent with my sorting. Instead I'm mixing it up.

For the UTOC it was five wins and tournament winners. This time I don't know if one factor has priority over a different one.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thanks, it wasn't a complaint, just curious.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Chris was Elite 18 in the UTOC, so give him a chance to lose a fifth game of J!
I did the Elite 18 one better! And I really want to lose that fifth game (although I'd rather be invited and not lose…).

I must admit I've been waiting to see where you'd slot me, Mark. Thanks for not putting me too far down the list.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

teapot37 wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Chris was Elite 18 in the UTOC, so give him a chance to lose a fifth game of J!
I did the Elite 18 one better! And I really want to lose that fifth game (although I'd rather be invited and not lose…).

I must admit I've been waiting to see where you'd slot me, Mark. Thanks for not putting me too far down the list.
Yes, final six for you, Pam, John, Frank, Jerome and that Brad guy. Thank you for the reminder about you and the upcoming five. What was the name we used on the Sony board for that group? Super? Sweet? Standout? Superb? Splendid? Whatever it was you were there. I'll save any comments about your first regular TOC game until you are in the field for the upcoming tournament.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

MarkBarrett wrote:I'll save any comments about your first regular TOC game until you are in the field for the upcoming tournament.
That I was terrible in it? I already KNOW that. :) I still maintain the QF round of that ToC was a level of difficulty greater than the SFs or even the finals that year.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

teapot37 wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I'll save any comments about your first regular TOC game until you are in the field for the upcoming tournament.
That I was terrible in it? I already KNOW that. :) I still maintain the QF round of that ToC was a level of difficulty greater than the SFs or even the finals that year.
I agree 100% with this, and I think that it's why John Beck, Keith Williams, and Russ Schumacher didn't play up to their full potentials in the quarterfinals. But the second week of the 2004 ToC is one of the best weeks of Jeopardy! games that I have ever seen; it might even be my favorite week of J! episodes ever.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

I suspect the 2004 TofC gets underrated because it aired in the middle of KJ's run. GSN aired the 2004-05 season(and May-July of the 2003-04 season) in 2008-09 but skipped episodes not involving KJ or the UTofC. SOme say they picked up the episodes they did of J! at the time to be aired in tandem with Thom McKee's run on Tic Tac Dough, which they also were airing in 2008 around that time.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Keith Williams still has an interest in Jeopardy! as he has a Final Jeopardy! wagering blog: http://thefinalwager.wordpress.com/
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

MarkBarrett wrote:Keith Williams still has an interest in Jeopardy! as he has a Final Jeopardy! wagering blog: http://thefinalwager.wordpress.com/
It's true! Actually, I have more of an interest in helping people avoid bad wagers.

I'd love to post a thread on my project, but it won't let me for some reason. I guess my 2,500+ posts from the previous incarnation of this board don't help. :)

Keith
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Vermonter wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Keith Williams still has an interest in Jeopardy! as he has a Final Jeopardy! wagering blog: http://thefinalwager.wordpress.com/
It's true! Actually, I have more of an interest in helping people avoid bad wagers.

I'd love to post a thread on my project, but it won't let me for some reason. I guess my 2,500+ posts from the previous incarnation of this board don't help. :)

Keith
Consider that problem solved. And JBoard has no connection to the old Sony board other than a large overlap in participants.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

alietr wrote:Consider that problem solved. And JBoard has no connection to the old Sony board other than a large overlap in participants.
Thanks, alietr! Trouble with new technology makes me feel old...
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Vermonter wrote:
alietr wrote:Consider that problem solved. And JBoard has no connection to the old Sony board other than a large overlap in participants.
Thanks, alietr! Trouble with new technology makes me feel old...
My pleasure, and it's nothing you've done; it's merely a spam prevention device. One that seems to have worked well.