Wednesday, May 29, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman »

Was this the same speech where he gave his quote about old soldiers fading away?

Patton died from injuries suffered in a jeep accident about six months after WWII ended and is buried in Luxembourg.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I see that Mrs OC fell for the one bit of neg bait I saw: DDE. Even if one knew that in '51 he was the Supreme Commander of NATO, it wouldn't be out of the question for him to make such a speech. In fact, one needs to know the context of MacArthur's address to Congress to be sure of the answer IMO. I agree about the champ's timidity with that final DD, but I could see it coming: he was clearly uncomfortable with the Opera category and didn't want to give the leader a lock game. You could see his chagrin when he saw the actual question (a facepalm IIRC).
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

At least two things mentioned in this game are pictured in my current avatar rotation. 50 quatloos to the first person to identify them.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote:Was this the same speech where he gave his quote about old soldiers fading away?
Yep...though some sources claim he said "they just wizen away..." :P
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

davey wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Was this the same speech where he gave his quote about old soldiers fading away?
Yep...though some sources claim he said "they just wizen away..." :P
Clever.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

OrangeSAM wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:...Why the bleep did I say Truman?
First, thanks for saying something.

As for Truman, he had served in France during the Great War. Also, he was commander-in-chief at the time that statement was made.

I got FJ! straight away, but Mrs OS, alas, had Eisenhower.
I had a "just have something down" answer as well (I sometimes won't). FDR, and I was pretty sure 1951 was after his presidency.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

StrangerCoug wrote: FDR, and I was pretty sure 1951 was after his presidency.
It was definitely after his presidency.

And his death.

Brian

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Austin Powers wrote: FJ basically could have said the category and just given the year and that would have been enough. "'Where did I leave my car keys?' said this man to a congressional page in 1951."
:lol:
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

When the category was revealed, I wasn't super happy, as I consider "Military Men" not to be one of my stronger categories.

I was hoping the clue would be something where one can make a plausible guess from the time frame, just using somewhat superficial knowledge.

And it more or less worked out that way for me. "1951" = "Douglas MacArthur", most likely.

My second guess probably would have been Eisenhower, but I was reasonably confident about MacArthur.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Ike warned us of the dangers of the military-industrial complex:
http://coursesa.matrix.msu.edu/~hst306/ ... ndust.html
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

cinemaniax7 wrote:I'm sure Mike is still kicking himself about wagering so little so late in the game on the Opera DD that turned out to be basically a Bible clue.
Fwiw, I contributed a very similar question in the last SHC, in my "Operatic Deaths" category.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=842&hilit=salome

Salome is a pretty well-known opera (among opera fans), so if you can figure out which opera it's talking about, you would also know the woman's name. Fwiw, if you read it as a Bible clue you have to go the extra step and figure out which of the two women Herod orders executed in the opera, Salome or her mother Herodias. (The Bible doesn't suggest that either one was executed - the execution of Salome was added by Oscar Wilde, whose play the opera is based on.)
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

Magna wrote:
cinemaniax7 wrote:I'm sure Mike is still kicking himself about wagering so little so late in the game on the Opera DD that turned out to be basically a Bible clue.
Fwiw, I contributed a very similar question in the last SHC, in my "Operatic Deaths" category.

Salome is a pretty well-known opera (among opera fans), so if you can figure out which opera it's talking about, you would also know the woman's name. Fwiw, if you read it as a Bible clue you have to go the extra step and figure out which of the two women Herod orders executed in the opera, Salome or her mother Herodias. (The Bible doesn't suggest that either one was executed - the execution of Salome was added by Oscar Wilde, whose play the opera is based on.)
I love all of my writers, but the 12-pointer in that category was one my favorite submitted clues last year.

Oh, and as part of my ministry travels, I have visited three of the five places mentioned in "We're Not in Kansas Anymore" since February. When MomofTwins said, "What's next, the National Quilt Museum?" and then it APPEARED THE VERY NEXT CLUE, I began to wonder whether I was being stalked.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

bpmod wrote:

And his death.
And, gee, wasn't there an FJ in the last week or so that alluded to the date of FDR's death?
davey

Post by davey »

Magna wrote:

I'd say it's just a common culture clue. John the Baptist's head to Salome is pavlovian. A clue for Herodias would be a tough one.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Love that opera.

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

DadofTwins wrote:I love all of my writers, but the 12-pointer in that category was one my favorite submitted clues last year.
:)
Oh, and as part of my ministry travels, I have visited three of the five places mentioned in "We're Not in Kansas Anymore" since February. When MomofTwins said, "What's next, the National Quilt Museum?" and then it APPEARED THE VERY NEXT CLUE, I began to wonder whether I was being stalked.
I felt a little bit the same about the "Operatic Demises" category!
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Vanya wrote:Love that opera.
You should post a picture of her kissing the severed head. That's a real highlight.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
bpmod wrote:

And his death.
And, gee, wasn't there an FJ in the last week or so that alluded to the date of FDR's death?
It didn't allude to it, it gave it outright! :)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
bpmod wrote:

And his death.
How do you think I knew?

Brian

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

seaborgium wrote:I got FJ wrong. I thought it had the sort of rhetoric Patton was notorious for, I didn't know when he died, and I didn't have the 1951 -> MacArthur connection. So from Mike's position, I would have taken the lead for FJ, and lost anyway.
This makes me feel a little better about responding Patton.

Got Lach trash on Helen Prejean, Hannibal, MO, willowy, and lean.

Thought it was interesting that neither player in the 2/3 scenario seemed to be aware of it.