Calling All TOCers Class of 1985

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Calling All TOCers Class of 1985

Post by legendneverdies »

OldMole51 wrote: Margie was the one who got me into games shows in the first place ... I loved the old Art Fleming J! but didn't pay too much attention. Margie, on the other hand, had already been on three other shows before BlockBusters (Wheel, Countdown, and BullsEye
COuntdown? You might have another show in mind. It couldn't have been the popular UK show, as it bowed after your appearance on Blockbusters. Wheel of course gave away virtually no cash prizes for its first 12 years on the air(both NBC and the early years of the syndicated nighttime version) The Barry-Enright shows(Joker's WIld, Tic Tac Dough, and Bullseye in particular) gave away a lot of merchandise prizes in the bonus round(a lot of trips as well), and most gave a car to a five time winner every five wins they racked up(Tic Tac Dough champs like Kit Salisbury and Thom Mckee won as many as seven or eight). Kit Salisbury, TIc's second highest winner(his run was a few months before your J! appearances) held a garage sale to get rid of some of his non-cash winnings.
walpow
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by walpow »

Nathan Walpow here. I've sent in my info for the Decades Tournament and (duh) would love to appear. I'm a writer, editor and web designer, though my own site (http://www.walpow.com) hasn't been updated in years. I have four mystery novels out, with an e-novella appearing in a month or two.

I appeared on The Challengers (seven episodes, the show's record, though I managed not to get any of the final questions, so the monetary reward wasn't that wondrous) and on Merv Griffin's Crosswords, where I was not a winner.

Fun fact: Jeopardy! is responsible for me meeting my wife. Because I'd been on the show, I ended up doing a couple of game show pilots (one of which had Alex as host). I became friendly with one of the other fake contestants, and she introduced me to the woman who became my wife. Our 20th anniversary is in December.
legendneverdies

walpow wrote:Nathan Walpow here. I've sent in my info for the Decades Tournament and (duh) would love to appear. I'm a writer, editor and web designer, though my own site (http://www.walpow.com) hasn't been updated in years. I have four mystery novels out, with an e-novella appearing in a month or two.

I appeared on The Challengers (seven episodes, the show's record, though I managed not to get any of the final questions, so the monetary reward wasn't that wondrous) and on Merv Griffin's Crosswords, where I was not a winner.

Fun fact: Jeopardy! is responsible for me meeting my wife. Because I'd been on the show, I ended up doing a couple of game show pilots (one of which had Alex as host). I became friendly with one of the other fake contestants, and she introduced me to the woman who became my wife. Our 20th anniversary is in December.
Stanley Newman won eight games of the Challengers in November 1990, and was the champ right before their first TofC and won the TofC, and then on his last day, was in the negative for the Final Challenge. Were you on the Challengers when they had the Ultimate CHallenge bonus for three day winners or when they had one question for $10K at the end of each show for the day's winner. Nathan was on the one of the Alex-hosted pilots for Mama non Mama in late 1984, which did eventually air in the US on USA Network as Love me Love me Not in 1986, hosted by Ross SHafer and taped in Vancouver.
walpow

Post by walpow »

Stanley Newman won eight games of the Challengers in November 1990, and was the champ right before their first TofC and won the TofC, and then on his last day, was in the negative for the Final Challenge. Were you on the Challengers when they had the Ultimate CHallenge bonus for three day winners or when they had one question for $10K at the end of each show for the day's winner. Nathan was on the one of the Alex-hosted pilots for Mama non Mama in late 1984, which did eventually air in the US on USA Network as Love me Love me Not in 1986, hosted by Ross SHafer and taped in Vancouver.
I stand corrected, though they told me it was the record and I'm reasonably sure it was after 1990. I was on when they had the $10K question at the end of each show. There were several where I was in the ballpark, but, alas, I didn't get any of them right.

If Mama No Mama was that early, clearly it was the other pilot where I met the woman who introduced me to my wife. What that show was called is a piece of trivia I do not remember.
legendneverdies

some sold and unsold pilots from the mid-late 80s have been reviewed online and some are even posted on Youtube, so if you can remember some of the gameplay aspects, some of us might be able to glean the name of the show. The $10K final challenge question on the CHallengers was done in mid-February 1991 for sure, but was gone by the APril 1, 1991 episode which is/was on Youtube. By the end of the run, they stopped having a bonus round, in part to lower the prize budget as the show was by that point known not to be renewed for a second season.
MRMcDermott

Post by MRMcDermott »

When you did the application, did you get an acknowledgment by email? I applied through the Jeopardy site and had hoped I'd at least hear by now whether I was under consideration.
walpow wrote:Nathan Walpow here. I've sent in my info for the Decades Tournament and (duh) would love to appear. I'm a writer, editor and web designer, though my own site (http://www.walpow.com) hasn't been updated in years. I have four mystery novels out, with an e-novella appearing in a month or two.
walpow

Post by walpow »

When you did the application, did you get an acknowledgment by email? I applied through the Jeopardy site and had hoped I'd at least hear by now whether I was under consideration.
I did not. I haven't heard a word since May. I kept a screen capture when they thanked me for my entry, and that's the last contact I had with them. I am not discouraged.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:Paul Crozier's name is really spelled Croshier.
Thank you for the spelling correction and I have updated the archive. It's hard for season one players to find us here when we don't have their names right. I'll edit my post here as well.
It looks like John Hnat's name needs to be corrected as well: http://www.jeopardy.com/minisites/tocyearbook/#1986 (also, we can add him to our list of single-player FJs)
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

I found an obituary for Larry A. Floyd, of Bangor, ME. I think it might be the same guy. http://bangordailynews.com/2008/09/25/o ... y-a-floyd/
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Although I looked up some of the guy's relatives on Facebook and perceived what might be a family resemblance to the ToCer, I'm suspicious of the fact that the ToCer was introduced on the show as being originally from Bridgton, and the obit makes no mention of the town. (And it isn't particularly close to Bangor.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For Larry Floyd I listened to his TOC interviews. The first one had nothing interesting. The second one said he had lots of areas of interest and he keyed on science fiction. When he was in the hospital his friends cleaned his apartment too well. The J! yearbook has his hometown as Valencia, CA. If I was playing the carnival game for guess an age with the +/- of 2 factor I would have gone with 35.
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

MarkBarrett wrote:For Larry Floyd I listened to his TOC interviews. The first one had nothing interesting. The second one said he had lots of areas of interest and he keyed on science fiction. When he was in the hospital his friends cleaned his apartment too well. The J! yearbook has his hometown as Valencia, CA. If I was playing the carnival game for guess an age with the +/- of 2 factor I would have gone with 35.
I don't think so. I went to whitepages and found a Lawrence Floyd who lives in Santa Clarita, which is right next to Valencia. He appeared to be around 45-49 years old.
legendneverdies

Today and tomorrow on Blockbusters on GSN from February 1982, Paul Crozier and his sister Margie(who was also on Wheel and Bullseye I think among others), who had up to this point won $13,400 on BB, play against December 1989 3-time J! champion Jeff SLike(who was also on Password Plus and SUper Password)
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

legendneverdies wrote:Today and tomorrow on Blockbusters on GSN from February 1982, Paul Crozier and his sister Margie(who was also on Wheel and Bullseye I think among others), who had up to this point won $13,400 on BB, play against December 1989 3-time J! champion Jeff Slike(who was also on Password Plus and SUper Password)
What is so significant about Paul Crozier's appearance on Blockbusters?? Do you mean Paul Croshier??
legendneverdies

Nathan Walpow and Andrea Michaels(lost a game in 1988 to Kevin Frear when he won the one day record of $27400) both appeared on a November 1989 unsold pilot called TKO hosted by Peter Tomarken for Mark Goodson Productions, done for ABC but taped at CBS TV City.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bumping this thread since some of the posts tie into the things about Season One games on TuneIn.

For TJF: Paul Croshier can go on the list for players brought back to J!