Tuesday, June 18, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by cheezguyty »

alietr wrote:Alex was talking about how great Andrew's first game was, but the truth of the matter is if it's a close game going into FJ, it will usually have a higher payoff than a lock game, which is what happened to him.
Unless the leader has a massive lock, as evidenced by the fact that 24 of the 25 biggest regular-play wins on the show were in runaway games.
dhkendall wrote:Being a category about world "k"apitals, it'd be hard to shoehorn a Kardashian into that.
The city of Kandy in Sri Lanka was the capital of a kindgom of the same name until 1815...please tell me there's not a Kandy Kardashian! :shock:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeff6286 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:I say that, but both of the challengers missed what struck me as a "what else could it be?" type of FJ.
I felt it was more "It could be literally ANYthing". I consume soft drinks all the time and couldn't think of any "trends" regarding them. Even if you'd have said "diet", I never would've thought of Diet Coke as being listed separately from regular Coke. With Coke at #1, I assumed that meant all variants.
So what did you write down? [ducks]
I didn't write down anything, but I did say "uh, Monster?!"

Energy drinks were the only thing I was thinking of that would be "trendy" in the soft drink world, which left me with Red Bull vs. Monster. I figured it wouldn't be Red Bull, since I remembered seeing the stuff back around 2004, when I first got into SoBe Adrenaline Rush and No Fear (neither of which are made anymore).

Also, I happen to like Monster best out of the current brands, especially the Nitrous and Rehab versions. How anyone can stomach Red Bull is beyond me.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Another mheh round. I agree that Andrew negged too often for a solid run as champ. And, yes, Goldfinger as a triple miss when spotted Odd Job? I'm another who missed FJ, being misled by the "trend" and thinking of the growth of high caffeine "energy" drinks. My lame answer was Mountain Dew, though I said it with apprehension.
Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper »

Woof wrote:I'm another who missed FJ, being misled by the "trend" and thinking of the growth of high caffeine "energy" drinks. My lame answer was Mountain Dew, though I said it with apprehension.
Same here.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Golf wrote:
Dave found the 2nd row DD in "K"apital leading by a smidge extremely late in the game,...
Dave's not here.

Another Red Bull here. Diet drinks are a trend in 2010? In the broad sense of the word, I guess; the mere fact it moves into second makes it a trend of sorts... But leave the word 'trend' out of the clue, and I probably find the answer.

Yeah, that DD. Another example of a stupid easy DD the crux of a game. A 'K' Arab capital destroyed by Iraq...oh, yeah, there's Khartoum, and uh, Kampala is close by, if not Arab, and Hussein was pretty ambitious...
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

"Trend" got me, too. As did "product," as it steered me away from a specific brand name.

I ended up with "bottled water." Still googling to see if I have a case, though.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

KGO ran J! in its entirety at 10:30 and I'll take late over preempted any time. One more game to go. Of course.

The E.F. Hutton clue had me calling stumper as soon as I saw it. Too bad Robin didn't join the guys who did Schwab and Winter to throw in Smith Barney.

Andrew is no Joon Pahk with that measly $4000 on the "K"apital. Joon would have done five figures.

The Coryat edge for Andrew was 13000 to 12800 although he was 27R to 12R with 7900 added on three hit DDs. Did Eugene ever recover from the Skylab/Mir miss & rebound? He did not seem fully prepared to handle Andrew's game play style and trying to copy it didn't help.

The FJ clue had me fortunately going with the simple path and taking no detours while ignoring any distractions. Coca Cola is #1 and Diet Coke must be #2 with the supposed trend being health awareness was my thinking. I had many doubts until Andrew's response was shown and I sympathize with all wrong roads others had.

I'm glad the clue did not mess with the game results. Andrew led and was the best of the three, so he plays again. Robin outplayed Eugene and got the $2000.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

ACW wrote:Malaysian Trebek, not Malayan. :oops:

Actually, it was Malayan at the time.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

DadofTwins wrote:I ended up with "bottled water." Still googling to see if I have a case, though.
Last time I looked, nobody was calling water a soft drink.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Mountain Dew is like fourth in sales, so it's hardly a bad guess. And unlike Snapple it is clearly a soft drink.

Bottled water has taken over soda sales, or so I've heard. But not a soft drink, and good luck giving one product that tops all others. Aquafina, maybe?
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

BADuBois wrote: So I said Fanta. Oops!
That was my first instinct as well, naturally.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: I'm glad the clue did not mess with the game results. Andrew led and was the best of the three, so he plays again. Robin outplayed Eugene and got the $2000.
Robin looked like she drank an energy drink after the first round. Too bad she couldn't finish the deal.

jeff6286 wrote:Food & Drink
Andrew Moore: $17,700+$7,901=$25,601...now a 2-day champion with $56,802
Robin Raffer: $12,800-$8,000=$4,800
Eugene Chuang: $6,600-$3,000=$3,600
Not a great wager by Eugene. Andrew's MSBIW was $9,799 and Eugene only gets to $9,600 if he gets it right. I thought Robin overbet. Her MSB was only $401 and she drops below Andrew's MSBIW if she is wrong. Both had a chance to capitalize on a miss by Andrew but each of them let him off the hook in the alternate universe where he misses it.
happybooker
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by happybooker »

Bamaman wrote:The Star Wars stuff is Compound W, which is a treatment for warts.

I use "Coke" as a generic term for soft drinks, so maybe I had an advantage there. But I can see how someone would go for an energy drink, since they are trendy these days more than diet sodas, which I don't think of as trendy. I can also think how someone might think all Coke products are grouped together in compiling stats. An instaget for me, but I can see how it was tough for some.
I I was slow with "Star Warts" because I confused Compound W with Preparation H. It took a few seconds to get that one out of my mind.

I also was thinking of one of the high energy drinks as #2.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

BADuBois wrote:
Still, I was stunned at everyone missing the James Bond reference... "Odd Job" was obviously "Goldfinger."
And the category was the Gilded Page, another clue :)
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

alietr wrote:
DadofTwins wrote:I ended up with "bottled water." Still googling to see if I have a case, though.
Last time I looked, nobody was calling water a soft drink.
My googling agrees with you. And apparently, coffee, tea, and milk (all possibilities I considered) don't qualify as "soft drinks" either, though Kool-Aid does.

Adding the word "carbonated" to the clue would have helped me a lot.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Diet Coke has been around for decades, "trendy" pointed me in a Red Bull direction.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

DIet Coke bowed in 1982, so about three decades.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

That was another thing that threw me, too. I think of diet pop as being an 80s craze, not a 21st century one.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

happybooker wrote:quote]

I I was slow with "Star Warts" because I confused Compound W with Preparation H.
I hope you avoid doing that in real life use of the products.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

legendneverdies wrote:DIet Coke bowed in 1982, so about three decades.
Wow! They were sure late to the party, weren't they?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.