Wednesday, July 17, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6653, 2013-07-17

CONTESTANTS
John Clarke, a management consultant originally from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Kerri McCoy, a pediatric emergency-room nurse from Jersey City, New Jersey
Mark Japinga, a legislative researcher from Washington, D.C. (whose 4-day cash winnings total $112,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny, and welcome, ladies and gentlemen. Well, our returning champion, Mark, on yesterday's program, managed to raise his daily average to about $28,000 from $25,000. Kerri and John, you've got your work cut out for you today to try to replace him, but good luck to all three of you. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. And here come the categories.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HEALTHY CHOICE (5/5)
ONE-WORD SHOUT OUTS (3/5)
THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE (5/5)
CONSTRUCTION (5/5)
AUTHOR-IZED BIOGRAPHIES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
VIETNAMESE WATER PUPPETS (4/5) (Jimmy: [*] -- the famous water puppets of Vietnam. A classic art form of Asian magic & myth.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mark: 11 R, 2 W
Kerri: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 4 W
John: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kerri found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Mark had $1,600, Kerri had $1,000, and John was at $600. Kerri made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,000.

AUTHOR-IZED BIOGRAPHIES $400: Born in Hell's Kitchen in 1920 to immigrants from Naples, he said, "I never met a real...gangster"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kerri: $2,200
Mark: $2,000
John: $1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: I'm puzzled by a bit of information on this card about John Clarke. It says you traveled overland from London, England, to Sydney almost entirely by bus. Which Sydney are we talking about? Sydney, Nova Scotia? Sydney, Australia?

John: Well, Sydney, Nova Scotia, would be a little harder by bus. We went to Australia. It took about five months. There was a couple boats and planes involved, but we did it mostly overland.

Alex: All right.

Alex: Kerri McCoy --a pediatric emergency-room nurse. I have friends who have traveled to Costa Rica, and they enjoyed the zip lining that you can do there. It can be pretty scary, particularly for someone who is afraid of heights, right?

Kerri: Mm-hmm. It was very nerve-racking at first, but once I relaxed, I enjoyed the view and it was great.

Alex: Yeah? How many times did you do it? Because when you do it once, then you say, "oh, I've done it," and that's it for the rest of your life, or did you do it again?

Kerri: Well, just that one instance, but there were four or five levels that we did, and at one point, we were above the forest canopy.

Alex: Would you recommend it?

Kerri: I would totally recommend it.

Alex: And would you do it again?

Kerri: Maybe.

Alex: [Laughing] Okay.

Alex: Mark Japinga is our champion. He's won over $100,000 and has already made up his mind as to how he's going to spend part of it, and part of it has to do with a bus. Maybe like his trip?

Mark: Well, I think the goal is always to take large groups of people somewhere, so I think I want to get a bunch of friends and a party bus, and we'll go to our favorite Korean barbecue place in the suburbs, and then we'll go sing karaoke, and nobody will have to drive.

Alex: No one will have to drive. Okay. Except the bus driver. Let him be the designated driver.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AUTHOR-IZED BIOGRAPHIES $600: He served 2 kings as a diplomat & lived his last year, 1399-1400, in a house in the garden of Westminster Abbey
(Kerri: Who is Winston Churchill?)

ONE-WORD SHOUT OUTS $400: Down on your haunches, Rin Tin Tin!

ONE-WORD SHOUT OUTS $800: Skal! or a Beacon Street bar where you'd say it!
(Kerri: What is a pub!?)

VIETNAMESE WATER PUPPETS $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports from Vietnam.) Carved from wood, the puppets are then waterproofed with a coating of this shiny, protective resin from a tree of the same name
(Kerri: What is shellac?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kerri: $5,600
Mark: $4,400
John: $1,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
1813 (3/5)
-OLOGIES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MAKE ROOM FOR ROONEY (5/5)
METALS (4/5)
U.S. RIVERS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE LAST "OUT" (1/1) (Alex: Each correct response will end with those three letters of the alphabet.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mark: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Kerri: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
John: 5 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
John snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Mark had $6,000, Kerri had $6,400, and John was at $2,200. John made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,200.

U.S. RIVERS $800: The Hudson River rises at Lake Tear of the Clouds on the shoulder of Mount Marcy in these mountains

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kerri who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 16th clue. Mark had $5,200, Kerri had $8,000, and John was at $6,800. Kerri wagered $1,200.

-OLOGIES $1200: From the Greek for "beyond the soul", it's the study of phenomena that cannot be explained by traditional science

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
1813 $800: The earliest reference to this symbol of the United States was in an 1813 Troy, New York newspaper article
(Kerri: What is an eagle?)

1813 $2000: The French Imperial Guard marched 90 miles in 3 days to smash some china & win the battle of this German city

U.S. RIVERS $1600: This northern Indiana river from which a U.S. president received his nickname is fed by 88 natural lakes
(Mark: What is the Hickory?)

U.S. RIVERS $2000: Edgar Lee Masters wrote about the mussel shells on its banks, & its name comes from those shells, used in eating

METALS $2000: A major uranium ore is this black form of the mineral uraninite

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kerri: $15,600
Mark: $10,400
John: $7,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL SPORTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds (exactly) for first place.
Kerri: Wager $5,200 for the tie. Mark has cause to bet either nothing or everything, and you can't afford to lose by $1 to a nothing bet.
Mark: Normally in this scenario you would wager all or nothing, but in this case a $0 wager isn't an optimal option because it doesn't cover John's doubled score. Wager all $10,400.
John: You do have some slim hope of taking 1st place, and it's most likely to happen in the event that you're the only one to respond correctly to Final. Wager between $3,201 and $7,199.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
2013 marks the 100th running of this event, first won by Maurice Garin with a time of 94 hours, 33 minutes, 14 seconds

FINAL SCORES
John: $7,200 - $3,201 = $3,999 (What the Ironman) (2nd place: $2,000)
Mark: $10,400 - $10,400 = $0 (What is the Paris-to Dakar Rally) (3rd place: $1,000)
Kerri: $15,600 - $5,000 = $10,600 (What is the NYC Marathon?) (New champion: $10,600)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kerri: $15,000, 20 R (including 2 DDs), 5 W
Mark: $10,400, 19 R, 3 W
John: $5,800, 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $31,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Kerri: 20/60 = .333
Mark: 19/58 = .328
John: 8/59 = .136
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HEALTHY CHOICE $600: In a cup of ice cream, a cup of raw spinach or a cup of dried figs, the one with the most calcium
(Mark: What is spinach?)
(Kerri: What is ice cream?)
(John: What is [*]?)
(Alex: You got it.)
[Laughter]

VIETNAMESE WATER PUPPETS $200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew delivers the clue.) "Mua roi nuoc", the Vietnamese name for the art form, means puppets that do this on the water; of course, the music helps

VIETNAMESE WATER PUPPETS $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports from Vietnam.) Sacred to the Vietnamese people are the dragon, symbolizing power & nobility, & the tortoise, which symbolizes these two things created by God in the beginning
(Mark: What are light & darkness?)

VIETNAMESE WATER PUPPETS $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from Vietnam.) A popular scene symbolizing love & fidelity features a male & female one of these mythical birds, known in Western myth to rise from ashes

VIETNAMESE WATER PUPPETS $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from Vietnam.) Water puppetry in Vietnam began in the Red River Delta nearly 1,000 years ago when villagers would entertain each other in these flooded rice fields

1813 $400: U.S. troops crossed Lake Ontario & burned Government House in York, now this Canadian city

U.S. RIVERS $1200: Called Utah's major stream, the Green River drains the northeast quarter of the state & flows into this longer one

U.S. RIVERS $400: Mount Vernon is on the banks of this river
(Alex: Yeah, don't miss that one.)

METALS $400: There's 1 mg of this metal per ton of seawater, but even at the 2012 peak of $1,792 an oz., it's not cost-effective to extract it
(John: What is silver?)

METALS $1200: The alloy pewter once contained this metal that caused tarnishing & food toxicity
(Alex: [*] is right with a minute to go.)

MAKE ROOM FOR ROONEY $1600: Seen here, she was pierced as well as inked in her breakout role

MAKE ROOM FOR ROONEY $2000: This soccer star made his pro debut at 16 & was once the youngest player ever on England's national team
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Mario Puzo
Geoffrey Chaucer
sit!
Cheers!
lacquer
the Adirondacks
parapsychology
Uncle Sam
Dresden
Tippecanoe
the Spoon River
pitchblende
the Tour de France
dried figs
dance
the Earth & Heaven
a phoenix
a paddy
Toronto
the Colorado River
the Potomac
gold
lead
Rooney Mara
Wayne Rooney
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

International Sports
2013 marks the 100th running of this event, first won by Maurice Garin with a time of 94 hours, 33 minutes, 14 seconds.

Spoiler
What is the Tour de France? John said the Ironman; Mark said the Paris to Dakar Rally; Kerri said Marathon.

Kerri McCoy: $15,600-$5,000=$10,600...now a 1-day champion with $10,600
Mark Japinga: $10,400-$10,400=$0
John Clarke: $7,200-$3,201=$3,999
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Mark makes the right wager in an exact 2/3 game and Kerri doesn't even make the MSB.

I considered several events, including the Paris to Dakar race, but settled on the right one. The recent FJ telling me bikes were a fairly recent invention in 1913 was a big help. Otherwise, I might have thought it started much earlier.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Interesting to me to think if this FJ would have been such an instaget at the time of the taping, since I have been bombarded with coverage of the 100th anniversary over the past few weeks (being a fan of the sport). A few months ago it might have been harder.

I believe the race started in 1903, but did not run in some years (for obvious reasons).
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

It seemed like the word "running" was throwing everyone off, and it made me question my answer, but the time was too long for my other answer (running of the bulls, also recently in the news).
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Given I just followed 30 miles of the Tippecanoe through three counties on Friday, I damn well better have not gotten that wrong. (In fact US Rivers was a lot of fun to run.)

I won't ask how final was a TS today, it shouldn't have been.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

That was really the best story John had? Boring.

====

That Healthy Choice category was stupid. I saw no way at all to narrow any of them down. How should I know which of those foods has the most of any given nutrient? Especially duck/goose/turkey at $200? Some of them seemed totally close, too, like lima beans vs. oatmeal for most fiber. Anyone wanna break down this category?

I squee'd when Oscar for Best Animated Feature came up, and easily ran it.

4/5 in puppets, missing only lacquer.

Construction should've been a run, but I kept overthinking the clues and got only two ($600 and $800).

I knew Author for $1000 was George something, but couldn't pull the last name.

====

How hard is it for Jeopardy! to put the tilde over the N in words like "El Niño"? That's, like, the tenth time I've seen them do that.

Gold in seawater? Huh?!

4/5 in Rivers, missing only Spoon.

Lach Trash on "sit", Uncle Sam, and Tippecanoe.

====

French name, gotta be Tour de France. How the bleep was that a TS?!
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Bamaman wrote:Mark makes the right wager in an exact 2/3 game and Kerri doesn't even make the MSB.
5000 was a nice round number. *sigh*

Instaget FJ. No idea how on earth this was a TS. They even spotted them a Frenchman...

Not sure what the worst answer of the day was, the 94 hour marathon, or the 1400 death of Winston Churchill.

Well, it's been a good season for long runs, so 4 days might not hold up til the next TOC. We'll see. Well done Mark!
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I thought this episode was shoddily written in spots - enough that 7 or so questions were real stinkers, and when it's a tight game and the board isn't finished, it can make a huge difference.

The lady who won had some good gets - I think she exposed the champs weakness. He seems crazy fast on the buzzer, but I got the sense his knowledge base wasn't super deep, which is why the last two shows had folks keeping things close by doing well at the bottom of the board. Today it caught him.

I don't understand any of those guesses on FJ and I agree with Trebek's incredulous look. I did think about Paris-to-Dakar, so it's not completely crazy, but the time frame was simply impossible for 1913 (I'd offer a comparison to the race today, but since it's now held in South America, there's not much point). It's clear that the answer had to be a multiday event, which made the other responses just wild. Ironman? A marathon that took four days to run? What?

Plus you have to remember that the show has a knack for being in season. Contestants might not appreciate that, but folks at home hopefully know that the Tour is being run right now.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

xxaaaxx wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Mark makes the right wager in an exact 2/3 game and Kerri doesn't even make the MSB.
5000 was a nice round number. *sigh*

Instaget FJ. No idea how on earth this was a TS. They even spotted them a Frenchman...

Not sure what the worst answer of the day was, the 94 hour marathon, or the 1400 death of Winston Churchill.
I'd say the death of Churchill, as it was in a category about authors (ok, yes, he wrote, but is that what you know him for?)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Austin Powers wrote: I'd say the death of Churchill, as it was in a category about authors (ok, yes, he wrote, but is that what you know him for?)
Did you get this FJ?

www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3930
TenPoundHammer wrote:That was really the best story John had? Boring.

!
So taking a bus from London to Nova Scotia is hard, but a bus from London to Australia isn't?
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

How was FJ a Triple Stumper? And how can such a great champion like Mark go down like this? Bad taste in my mouth after this one... I hope he still makes the TOC and gets a chance to redeem himself, because he's better than this.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

Sports is usually a wheelhouse, but the wording took me off the rails. I don't even think I considered Tour de France. Settled on Paris-Dakar, after briefly considering the Iditarod (dismissed due to time not making sense).
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I have come to expect that the general populace has trouble counting, but on this board I am quite surprised that two posts (so far) have mentioned an event starting in 1913. It has, of course, been pointed out that the event actually started earlier and some years were missed, but why would anybody not knowing assume that exactly one year was missed?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This board was bad. It was like last night's was a preview for tonight's. The healthy choice and the authors' biographies categories were awful. The Chaucer clue was one of those really bad ones.

I missed FJ. The Tour de France was naturally the first thing that came to mind but it seemed too obvious, and I am guessing that that's what messed up the contestants. Count me as another one that was thrown off by "running." I guessed the Iditarod, which was probably a bad guess, but I had nothing else. I also would have guessed that the Tour de France is older than that, but I wasn't paying too much attention to the year. I guess I should have known better considering the easy FJs lately.

Big congrats to Mark on the run! Best of luck in making the ToC!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Well I sure screwed that one up. Tour de France seemed obvious at first, with a French name in the clue no less, but for some reason I had it in my head that the event went back way further, like into the 1870s or so. Apparently I was thinking of a different international sporting event, like Wimbledon or the British Open, which both date back well into the 19th century. So setting that aside, the only other multi-day event I could think of was the Iditarod, which of course isn't really "international" in the sense that it takes place in the U.S., and in hindsight it probably was a bit silly to think that it dated to 1914. Plus why would they give you a French name to lead to an Alaskan race?

If I'd had another 30 seconds, I may have eventually switched to Tour de France, because I had very little confidence in my answer but couldn't seem to think of anything better in the time allowed. I give myself a big fat F for this FJ performance.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

bpmod wrote:I have come to expect that the general populace has trouble counting, but on this board I am quite surprised that two posts (so far) have mentioned an event starting in 1913. It has, of course, been pointed out that the event actually started earlier and some years were missed, but why would anybody not knowing assume that exactly one year was missed?

Brian
I would suggest that rather than being unable to count, it is more likely that people didn't remember the precise wording of the clue, and whether it used "100th running" or "100th anniversary".
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

FJ was 2 seconds of writing it down and 28 of not coming up with anything else plausible other than Iditarod (which I knew was newer) and America's Cup (which was older) (and first won by America, of course).
TenPoundHammer wrote:4/5 in Rivers, missing only Spoon.
Yeah, WTF? Spoon River? NHOI. (Probably The Tick's favorite, anyway.)

Spooooon River.... wider than a spile....
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeff6286 wrote:Well I sure screwed that one up. Tour de France seemed obvious at first, with a French name in the clue no less, but for some reason I had it in my head that the event went back way further, like into the 1870s or so. Apparently I was thinking of a different international sporting event, like Wimbledon or the British Open, which both date back well into the 19th century. So setting that aside, the only other multi-day event I could think of was the Iditarod, which of course isn't really "international" in the sense that it takes place in the U.S., and in hindsight it probably was a bit silly to think that it dated to 1914. Plus why would they give you a French name to lead to an Alaskan race?

If I'd had another 30 seconds, I may have eventually switched to Tour de France, because I had very little confidence in my answer but couldn't seem to think of anything better in the time allowed. I give myself a big fat F for this FJ performance.
This is probably where my lack of knowledge helped. I didn't have any other possible options cluttering up my mind, so I had Tour de France right away and never wavered.

Also, that fig/spinach/ice cream clue was a fail on my part. By the time both spinach and ice cream were negged, I forgot what the third option was. Short term memory loss FT— wait, what was I talking about again?