Rules Question

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

waynomo
Contributor

Rules Question

Post by waynomo »

I was wondering if the rules on Jeopardy had changed slightly or if is just that my memory is slipping.

This concerns the need for a first name when answering. I understand the current rule now where you only need the first name along with the last if there is some ambiguity in who you could be referring to.

My recollection is (and this could be from over 20 years ago) that it used to be in Jeopardy you could use only the last name, but in Double Jeopardy you always needed the first name and last name.

Can anybody speak to this?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Rules Question

Post by Bamaman »

I don't recall the first name ever being mandatory at any time.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

waynomo wrote:My recollection is (and this could be from over 20 years ago) that it used to be in Jeopardy you could use only the last name, but in Double Jeopardy you always needed the first name and last name.
I do not recal such a distinction. The only difference between J! and DJ! that I know if is that Alex will prompt you to answer in the form of a question in J! if you forget, but you will be dinged in DJ! without warning.

Rex
Atalsyter
Contributor

Post by Atalsyter »

Again if there's ambiguity, it would be asked in BMS. For example if they're asking a question about a politician and the answer happens to the member of the prominent Rockefeller family, then you'd have to specify. But 95%+ of the time, last name alone will suffice.

I haven't heard of that rule or if it did exist at one point, it probably doesn't anymore.
waynomo
Contributor

Post by waynomo »

hermia.snow wrote:Again if there's ambiguity, it would be asked in BMS. For example if they're asking a question about a politician and the answer happens to the member of the prominent Rockefeller family, then you'd have to specify. But 95%+ of the time, last name alone will suffice.

I haven't heard of that rule or if it did exist at one point, it probably doesn't anymore.
It definitely doesn't exist anymore, but I could swear it did at one time. Again, it could be 20 years ago or more.
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

If it's a category like "famous ROoneys" or "Famous Smiths", they'll want the first and last name as an answer usually. If it's a category with a word in quotation marks, and the clue refers to a name, most likely they'd want the first and last name("Rocky" being the category and the clue referring to Rocky Graziano, Graziano wouldn't be enough, for example)
waynomo
Contributor

Post by waynomo »

legendneverdies wrote:If it's a category like "famous ROoneys" or "Famous Smiths", they'll want the first and last name as an answer usually. If it's a category with a word in quotation marks, and the clue refers to a name, most likely they'd want the first and last name("Rocky" being the category and the clue referring to Rocky Graziano, Graziano wouldn't be enough, for example)
This is today. I am talking perhaps over 20 years ago.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

waynomo wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:If it's a category like "famous ROoneys" or "Famous Smiths", they'll want the first and last name as an answer usually. If it's a category with a word in quotation marks, and the clue refers to a name, most likely they'd want the first and last name("Rocky" being the category and the clue referring to Rocky Graziano, Graziano wouldn't be enough, for example)
A quick check of the j-archive from Season 1 shows that on December 3, 1984, in response to the $400 clue in "Opera" in Double Jeopardy!, Nicholas Vallas gave the response "Wagner", with no "Richard," and was credited with a correct answer. I'm guessing we could find other examples from Seasons 1 through 29, unless you are suggesting that they instituted the "full-name-in-Double-Jeopardy!" rule sometime after Season 1, then de-instituted it later.

Rex

P.S. -- A couple hours later this post seems unintentionally snippy. My apologies -- I was just rushed. What I mean to say was, finding a last-name-only response in DJ! in Season 1 seems to indicate that there was never any contrary rule, but someone with more time and inclination might do some poking around and see if there are similar examples from every season.
waynomo
Contributor

Post by waynomo »

Rex Kramer wrote:
waynomo wrote:
A quick check of the j-archive from Season 1 shows that on December 3, 1984, in response to the $400 clue in "Opera" in Double Jeopardy!, Nicholas Vallas gave the response "Wagner", with no "Richard," and was credited with a correct answer. I'm guessing we could find other examples from Seasons 1 through 29, unless you are suggesting that they instituted the "full-name-in-Double-Jeopardy!" rule sometime after Season 1, then de-instituted it later.

Rex

P.S. -- A couple hours later this post seems unintentionally snippy. My apologies -- I was just rushed. What I mean to say was, finding a last-name-only response in DJ! in Season 1 seems to indicate that there was never any contrary rule, but someone with more time and inclination might do some poking around and see if there are similar examples from every season.
No apology necessary! I appreciate you taking the time to investigate the archives. I didn't think of that. I didn't even know the archives existed. I am new to this board. I have watched Jeopardy off and on for years of course, but only a few months ago started TiVoing everyday. I have found a renewed interest in the game.

I guess my memory was fuzzy. I think what you originally suggested is correct and I was thinking in Jeopardy you would be prompted to say it in the form of a question. In DJ you get no second chance. (Another increase in Jeopardy which reinforces the "Double" part.)