One year later

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bunkie
Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: One year later

Post by Bunkie »

Again, look at the numbers. There are 2500-3000 people in the contestant pool and about 200 or so slots in a given season. Now, we know that it's not just about numbers, but those are pretty stiff odds.

I'm just guessing here, but I'd bet that there's an interviewee scoring system and you really get selected right then and there. There are a lot of things you can do to improve your chances, many of which have been discussed here. But I'll zero in on one because I think it's a real pet peeve of the staff: Speak up! that applies both to playing the mock game and the interview. But it also helps to speak up during the whole process. If you think of something funny or interesting, say it! It doesn't matter if you think you are making a fool of yourself, it's all about entertainment. That's what they are looking for. Leave your comfort zone and act out a bit. It certainly can't hurt compared to being quiet and reserved. Look to how Maggie behaves: she's loud, funny and wants to have a good time. Play right along and, I'll bet, you radically improve your chances. To paraphrase Hunter S. Thompson, while I can't recommend being the class clown to everyone, it worked for me!
Bunkie
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Bunkie »

NYCScribbler wrote:
Bunkie wrote:Hi Johnblue,

Thanks! Hey were you at the audition in NYC in June of last year? There was a fellow who was an ATC who lived in Buffalo and commuted down to JFK (if I remember correctly). Might you be the same person?
Holla, NYC June auditioners! I think I remember that story... either of you guys remember the ornithology student?
Come to think of it, yes. Most of us were either lawyers, teachers or IT types, so I remember thinking that your field of study stood out, especially since I do a bit of bird watching here and there. Good to see that you got to be a champion!
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

Bunkie wrote:Again, look at the numbers. There are 2500-3000 people in the contestant pool and 200 or so in a given season
It's more like 350 or so. MOst seasons have at least 35 weeks of regular games, and virtually all regular games for the last decade have two new contestants. This season will be a bit less because of the five week 30th anniversary tourney and the other usual tourneys(College, Teen, Teachers, kids and celeb week I think)
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

Bunkie wrote:Again, look at the numbers. There are 2500-3000 people in the contestant pool and about 200 or so slots in a given season. Now, we know that it's not just about numbers, but those are pretty stiff odds.

I'm just guessing here, but I'd bet that there's an interviewee scoring system and you really get selected right then and there. There are a lot of things you can do to improve your chances, many of which have been discussed here. But I'll zero in on one because I think it's a real pet peeve of the staff: Speak up! that applies both to playing the mock game and the interview. But it also helps to speak up during the whole process. If you think of something funny or interesting, say it! It doesn't matter if you think you are making a fool of yourself, it's all about entertainment. That's what they are looking for. Leave your comfort zone and act out a bit. It certainly can't hurt compared to being quiet and reserved. Look to how Maggie behaves: she's loud, funny and wants to have a good time. Play right along and, I'll bet, you radically improve your chances. To paraphrase Hunter S. Thompson, while I can't recommend being the class clown to everyone, it worked for me!
I'll second that advice-during my mock game, Maggie (or Glenn, can't recall) mentioned my profession (strength coach/personal trainer) and asked me to flex my biceps. I hesitated at first, then remembered them saying "if Alex asks you to do something, you do it!", so I flexed. Can't say if that was the deciding factor, but it couldn't have hurt.
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

alietr wrote:Well, nobody told me I looked good on television. Sigh.
They forgot that you looked good on TV because they were saying how romantic your contestant interview was.
Judy5cents
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Judy5cents »

I'm late on coming on this thread--I'm also a former contestant who stopped watching after I was on. And I've been absent from Jboard for a while. I'm OK with watching it now, but my husband took me seriously when I said I never want to see another Jeopardy! game ever. So we watch Sky News instead. I have to say I'm glad to see that other people also went through the agony of defeat.

My experience was that I won and then I lost. Which is the way for every champion. But the loss was especially painful--I wrote down the wrong answer for FJ!, crossed it out, wrote the correct one, and then realized I'd only crossed out one word of my wrong answer. ("Samuel Clemmons Hal Holbrook") The music stopped and so did my pen. Even worse, Alex announced I had gotten it right. The judges stopped the game and we had to tape it over again.

As I stood there, smiling bravely as the most disappointing moment of my life was broadcast on national television, all I could think of was that I would be crossing out Samuel in my head quite possibly for the rest of my life. That went on for months, but thankfully I"m over that. Although, for a long time, losing overshadowed winning. Because I made such a stupid mistake and even now, I wish I could have a do-over.

I won the second game on a Wednesday, and had to come back the following week. (They pay for your flight if you're a returning champion). Coming back as the returning champion was decidedly different, not as much fun and a lot more stressful. Part of that may have been flying from Wilmington NC to LA twice in the space of a week--not easy when you're past 50. I felt there was more pressure and I didn't feel as close to the second group of contestants as I did with the first. Although I am forever grateful to Mike (a fellow J! boardie) who sat with me at breakfast in the Doubletree Inn the next morning and offered some much needed sympathy. I came out by myself so I had to deal with everything on my own.

I started out viewing the whole experience as an adventure. I went to Orlando for my audition. On the drive down, I heard Greg Kihn's "Our Love's in Jeopardy" on the radio, and took that as a good omen. I was called up first, though I don't know if that meant anything. For me, It was like having to be the first kid to give a book report in class. You're nervous, and you really aren't ready to go up there, but at least you get it over with. My sister lived in Orlando at the time, so I stayed with her. We got up early the next morning to watch Prince William get married. Six months later, I got the call. Aside from enjoying every minute, my only goal was to make it to Final Jeopardy. I was most worried about being "That Guy"--the empty spot with a negative score.

Probably the weirdest time I was ever recognized as a Jeopardy! contestant was when our dog got loose and my daughter and I were running after him through a neighbor's yard. The neighbor said "I saw you on Jeapoardy! You're really smart." I said "Not smart enough to keep my dog from getting out."

You know what really helped? Watching the video of Weird Al Yankovick's "I Lost On Jeopardy!" It still makes me laugh. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvUZijEuNDQ
Bunkie
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Bunkie »

Perseverance pays. Sometimes it's the only thing we have.

I say this because this week, after much effort and many trials, I finally earned my pilot's license. I went through several flight schools, two job losses and various other issues. It was very frustrating in the final stretch, I mostly did well on the flight exam but blew a critical maneuver (the crosswind landing), so I had to come back to re-take that portion. The weather and scheduling turned that into an incredibly long, drawn-out process. But I kept pushing, the desire kept me focused on the goal. Weekend after weekend the winds were howling or the clouds had rolled in or the examiner had a last-minute conflict, it seemed that something always got in the way. This week, it all came together and I did the best, most precise flying of my life. The examiner was well-pleased and signed my ticket.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bunkie wrote:Perseverance pays. Sometimes it's the only thing we have.

I say this because this week, after much effort and many trials, I finally earned my pilot's license. I went through several flight schools, two job losses and various other issues. It was very frustrating in the final stretch, I mostly did well on the flight exam but blew a critical maneuver (the crosswind landing), so I had to come back to re-take that portion. The weather and scheduling turned that into an incredibly long, drawn-out process. But I kept pushing, the desire kept me focused on the goal. Weekend after weekend the winds were howling or the clouds had rolled in or the examiner had a last-minute conflict, it seemed that something always got in the way. This week, it all came together and I did the best, most precise flying of my life. The examiner was well-pleased and signed my ticket.
Congratulations!!
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

econgator wrote:

Congratulations!!
^ Ditto this!! Way to go!
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Bunkie, that's impressive. Congratulations!
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

Congratulations Bunkie!
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Congrats and thanks for updating.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Congrats, Bunkie! That's something I want to do, and may take up. It is an expensive hobby, though.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Seeing as how the penalty for making a mistake in flying is much higher than for making one on Jeopardy!, this is a much greater accomplishment than being on a quiz show.

Happy flying!!!!
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Bamaman wrote:Seeing as how the penalty for making a mistake in flying is much higher than for making one on Jeopardy!, this is a much greater accomplishment than being on a quiz show.

Happy flying!!!!
Dying is worse than being criticized by Golf???

Congrats!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

That's all well and good, but the question is...did you get Friday's FJ right?

It was...
Spoiler
Inventions
This machine was invented in 1929; the government began buying them to help prevent any more in a series of army air corps fatalities.
Bunkie
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Bunkie »

No, I didn't catch the show because my head is still in the clouds! ;-)