Familiar Face on "The Chase" (Spoilers for The Chase)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Familiar Face on "The Chase" (Spoilers for The Chase)

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote:DC, 8 AM.
Break a leg, Andy!
UniquePerspective
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by UniquePerspective »

Might as well bring this up since I went yesterday.

Didn't pass the test, but I was fairly comfortable with a lot of questions so probably didn't miss by much. Amongst those who did pass in my group were TomKBaltimoreBoy (we meet again in game show land Tom), as well as TOCer Justin Sausville. Maybe others but those were the only couple I recognized for sure. (Tom, was your friend Sam a boardie as well or no?)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I guess I should follow up ... passed the test, did not get the callback.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

alietr wrote:I guess I should follow up ... passed the test, did not get the callback.
The show has to be careful because they don't have a lot of money. Too smart, you don't make it on. They were burned pretty badly by what happened during their first season.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

I tried out in New York on Saturday. Met up with Celeste DiNucci and Erin McLean before for lunch, and after for drinks and dinner. We had a great time, and all three of us got callbacks.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I saw the British version of this show when I was in Australia and it actually seemed a bit easier than the US version. There were several "beasts."
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Vermonter wrote:I tried out in New York on Saturday. Met up with Celeste DiNucci and Erin McLean before for lunch, and after for drinks and dinner. We had a great time, and all three of us got callbacks.
Any details on what the callbacks entailed? I'm going to Chicago on Saturday, and with Sunday being Easter, would kind of like to have some kind of idea of what to expect should they for some reason wish to see me again. What time were the callbacks and how long did they last, is basically what I'm asking, if you wouldn't mind sharing.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeff6286 wrote:
Vermonter wrote:I tried out in New York on Saturday. Met up with Celeste DiNucci and Erin McLean before for lunch, and after for drinks and dinner. We had a great time, and all three of us got callbacks.
Any details on what the callbacks entailed? I'm going to Chicago on Saturday, and with Sunday being Easter, would kind of like to have some kind of idea of what to expect should they for some reason wish to see me again. What time were the callbacks and how long did they last, is basically what I'm asking, if you wouldn't mind sharing.
Does his wallet mind sharing? I've seen some stories about auditions on FB and there seems to be a mention of the wannabe contestants signing a $5M NDA. Or perhaps it was only 3M? In that case what's a little sharing.

You've seen the show. They want players who can play the game. A little chit chat. Build the bank. Banter with the Beast. Pick multiple choice and have something to say about it. Work alone or with others for the Final Chase. Be happy or be a good sport.

Looking at the games that have already aired domestically gives the range for the kind of contestants cast. How do the show workers find those people? By picking a few out of more. Good luck.
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

And download the game app. Lots of questions -- the ones giving me the most trouble have to do with pop music.
If you can build up a 24-25 step lead in "The Final Chase", excellent chance to win, although there was one instance when "The Beast" (just by himself, not with any other of his British cohorts) did run off 24 in a row.

The U.S. & British versions are both on Amazon, but the British app is unavailable due to "geographic restrictions". :o
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

MarkBarrett wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
Does his wallet mind sharing? I've seen some stories about auditions on FB and there seems to be a mention of the wannabe contestants signing a $5M NDA. Or perhaps it was only 3M? In that case what's a little sharing.

You've seen the show. They want players who can play the game. A little chit chat. Build the bank. Banter with the Beast. Pick multiple choice and have something to say about it. Work alone or with others for the Final Chase. Be happy or be a good sport.

Looking at the games that have already aired domestically gives the range for the kind of contestants cast. How do the show workers find those people? By picking a few out of more. Good luck.
We signed some papers, but of course I did not bother to read any of them. :lol:
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
mrfusion
Contributor

Post by mrfusion »

Anybody else going to the San Francisco audition this Saturday? I'll be there at 3PM and one of my ex-Jeopardy friends has the early morning (10AM?) slot. Might be nice to meet others.

(I wss beestar on the old Sony Jeopardy forum, but dropped out for a while after the great transition - finally rejoined JBoard today!)
It turns out that, in any case, the H-bomb was also developed under Truman
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

mrfusion wrote:Anybody else going to the San Francisco audition this Saturday? I'll be there at 3PM and one of my ex-Jeopardy friends has the early morning (10AM?) slot. Might be nice to meet others.

(I used to be beestar on the old Jeopardy forum, but dropped out for a while after the great transition - finally rejoined JBoard today!)
I wish I could go. I'm sadly underage however. But if I can play Jeopardy with locks in every single game I can so kick Mark Labbett's butt like THAT!
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Tomorrow. Chicago. Second try.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Good luck, Bud!
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

I'll report. Went to the first LA audition a few weeks ago. Cliff Galiher was also there, and we both passed. I thought I was fairly engaging in the post-test mock whatever, but some of my quips I felt weren't landing as well, or the crowd just wasn't working to me. Talking with Cliff after, we both feared that one of us might cancel the other one out thanks to our overlapping demographic profiles, and sure enough he got a callback and I didn't. I tried to sign up for a second LA audition and got a call with a message saying they'd like to "Talk to me, see if I'd be a good fit for the Chase," but unfortunately my dumb iPhone didn't notify me and I didn't see my message until a few days later. I called back twice and left a message, but haven't heard back from them, and on top of it all, I've got a slew of tests coming up, along with studying for board exams, so I think I'm just going to take it as a sign that I'm not meant for this go-around. Good luck to all others!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Congrats on passing this time, Hans!

mrbungle and I both passed at our audition. Unlike last year, I didn't get a callback.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

seaborgium wrote:Unlike last year, I didn't get a callback.
Sigh, neither did I. I guess they decided I wasn't as interesting this year. Thanks for your kind words, Andy.
AlphaDummy
Valued Contributor

Post by AlphaDummy »

Budphrey wrote:
seaborgium wrote:Unlike last year, I didn't get a callback.
Sigh, neither did I. I guess they decided I wasn't as interesting this year. Thanks for your kind words, Andy.
No love here either, Bud...what session were you in?
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I talked to someone affiliated with the show. I think he said they're doing six episodes?!? Anyway he said they were shooting for 40-50% females in the contestant pool, so all you middle aged white guys may be out of luck.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

AlphaDummy wrote:No love here either, Bud...what session were you in?
Noon. Bigger room than last year, and more people passing the test, about a quarter of them female. This contrasts with last year, when no women in my testing group passed and only one was in the callback group (she made it on the show).