Anybody applying to NBC's new quiz show?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Re: Anybody applying to NBC's new quiz show?

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

rmfromfla wrote:Seacrest didn't say it, but I remember seeing a notice at the bottom of the screen already asking for possible contestants "for season 2". :shock:
That was actually for Hollywood Game Night -- no decision has been made yet for another go-round with MSQ.

As someone who spent a lot of the last week in the Sartrean abyss of Area 7, I have several thought about this show -- but it will take alcohol to get most of them out.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:
rmfromfla wrote:Seacrest didn't say it, but I remember seeing a notice at the bottom of the screen already asking for possible contestants "for season 2". :shock:
That was actually for Hollywood Game Night -- no decision has been made yet for another go-round with MSQ.
I'd go on Hollywood Game Night for the chance to meet some of the stars they've had on. I don't quite fit their contestant demographic, though, and I'd probably be awful at a couple of the games, like guessing what song someone was trying to hum.
UniquePerspective
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by UniquePerspective »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:

As someone who spent a lot of the last week in the Sartrean abyss of Area 7, I have several thought about this show -- but it will take alcohol to get most of them out.

But hey, you got to meet me, so all was worth it, right?

As someone who probably was 2 hours away from getting on the stream (made it past the Subway area but then said they didn't want me, whomp.), it truly is something I have never seen before in quzzing, I didn't say that in there to kiss ass. If they can simplify it, it can work in the future or inspire other things. Plus, there's something of the constant quizzing even from the Subway area that was a lot of fun to me. And I met a lot of cool people (TomKBaltimoreBoy, OTriviaNewtonJon, John Carpenter, the others you may not know. Tough at points, but enjoyed it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

One thing about watching the show was I had my best score ever on Ken Jennings's weekly quiz on Slate with a lot of material both used.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

UniquePerspective wrote:
TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:

But hey, you got to meet me, so all was worth it, right?

As someone who probably was 2 hours away from getting on the stream (made it past the Subway area but then said they didn't want me, whomp.), it truly is something I have never seen before in quzzing, I didn't say that in there to kiss ass. If they can simplify it, it can work in the future or inspire other things. Plus, there's something of the constant quizzing even from the Subway area that was a lot of fun to me. And I met a lot of cool people (TomKBaltimoreBoy, OTriviaNewtonJon, John Carpenter, the others you may not know. Tough at points, but enjoyed it.
The highlighted text is one of the most annoying things. Having met UP, then gone through the hours required to get to Section 8, the thought that they would then toss him out in favor of fools like the ludicrous Schuyler Manhattan or Britany...

Who's Britany? Lemme tell you about Britany. Britany was an ABSOLUTELY adorable fetching young thing -- slim, blonde, wearing a tight little pink shirt and a 500-watt smile -- a future candidate for Vanya's avatar if there ever was one. Britany was selected to go to Section 8 at about the same time I arrived, but she had already become a sensation on the Area 7 live feed, which was shown between games. One of the frequent Learned League posters had an online crush on her. We all figured Britany was destined for the prime time opening slot, because NBC isn't stupid.

But Britany was. She didn't make the show, and instead showed up about 10:30 PM on the live feed, where she became LEGEND. "What ocean does the nation of India border? Britany: "Atlantic". "In what nation would you find the county of Warwickshire?" Britany: "Italy". Mind you, this is a game where "Indian" and "England" were visible options. I had the pleasure of watching this with Roger Craig and Ed Toutant, all of us still in Area 7. By the end of it, we were all wondering if this was some sort of performance piece, or meta-commentary on the game. She lost the game 15-3. "And Britany says..." became the shorthand for the dumbest possible answer on the board.

Her opponent actually came by briefly on her way out -- the check-out table was right by Area 7. She was a bright, fun and vivacious older woman who bore an uncanny resemblance to Meryl Streep, and told a story of being mistaken for Meryl by other soccer moms, since she lived in Chelsea. With the ice loosened, someone asked her what went through her mind when she faced Britany, and "Meryl" showed that she had a Southern background with her response: "Oh, bless her poor dear heart."

So, rather than put Roger Craig or UP in the position of maybe showing up on television, the producers of MSQ chose Britany. That really says all you need to know about their ability to create an exciting, knowledgeable game show.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:

Well, then...drink up, buttercup! :D
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

LOL at TomK's post then LOLer at Jeff's.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Just saw how Hayley got eliminated, and OMG... is she Patricia Heaton's daughter? All the data was given in the question, do the math!

last-day jump-in winner Kathy looks a bit like Daisy on Bones. Over a quarter million is a sweet chunka change to grab so quickly.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I thought Ten Pound Hammer was a guy.
Devin
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Devin »

jeff6286 wrote:A few bits that I caught on the live feed late Wednesday night and into Thursday morning could shed some light on the endgame decisions. For most of the show, the Power Player periods were spaced throughout the day, something like 12-3 AM, then 6-9 AM, then 12-3PM. The players could play along with the live matches for any or all of these periods, and whomever answered the most questions would be that night's Power Player. This was obviously done to make it difficult for the players to get a full night's sleep, as part of NBC's goal of making their time there as miserable as possible.

Andy and Devin appeared to be very evenly matched when both were going for the Power Player, as one day Andy won by just a single question. Well, the last night, they changed the time of the PP and made it 1-7 AM, apparently to screw with the players even further. It appeared that Eric didn't even want to bother, so he was sleeping while the other 3 were playing along, pacing back and forth, walking in circles, helping each other to stay awake. I guess the idea was that whomever stayed awake all night to win the Power Player would be so exhausted that they may not be at their best in the following evening's matches, so the players had to choose how best to apply themselves.

Well, I missed the origin of it, so I don't know whose idea it was, but at some point Andy and Devin came up with a better plan. Andy basically agreed to let Devin have the Power Player, under the condition that Devin would not send Andy, he would send Eric. I guess they must have just let Devin play for a bit longer, then decided to all get some sleep. They wanted to minimize the chances of Eric taking the grand prize when he had just waltzed in there a couple days earlier, as well as eliminating the chance that one of them could be sent home with nothing. I think they considered it a possibility that the show might send out a real heavy hitter in the late stages of the game, as names like Ken Jennings, Roger Craig, as well as some major WWTBAM prize winners were rumored to be in the building in the final days of the show.

Of course the risk for Andy was that if he let Devin win Power Player, he could betray him and send Andy out instead, thinking that Andy was the strongest player and he should try to get rid of him. Even if the person in the Chair was not a great player, the format of the TV matches is highly unpredictable, with lots of random pop culture and current events questions, plus the unlimited use of the doubler, so an inferior player pulling off a huge upset has always got to be a decent possibility. Andy basically told Devin something to the effect of "If you double-cross me, and send me out there, I will win, and then I will destroy you and take the grand prize." He also said that he felt that he was a good judge of character, and that he had gotten to know Devin enough over the past several days that he felt that he would keep his word on this.

I argued this point quite a bit with some people I was watching the show with, as some seemed to think that for a better chance at over 2 million dollars, no one would ever keep their word to someone they've known less than a week. On shows like Survivor or Big Brother, this may very well be true, and who knows, that may have been the kind of thing this show was hoping to achieve with its Big Brother-style setup. But I'm guessing that the trivia players that were drawn to a show like this are mostly pretty different types of people than those that make up the typical Survivor cast.

Maybe if there was someone like Roger Craig out there, it would have made more sense for Devin to betray Andy and send him out, as then he would only have to beat one of Roger or Andy (plus Brandon) to win the money, whereas if he sends Eric out to face Roger, he would then have to beat Roger, then beat Andy, then beat Brandon. But with the line jumper out there, who didn't appear to be anything special, I saw very little reason for Devin to change his plan. It turned out she wasn't too bad, beating Yobob and Eric, and hanging with Devin for a while, but I don't think she would have been much match for Andy.

Hi, not to revive a 2-year old thread about a show that has become a punchline, but I stumbled across this and since I'm the Devin referenced here, I just wanted to say that you were basically 100% spot-on with this. Eric went to bed, Brandon went to bed, Andy and I were battling it out before we realized it was dumb and that we should just go to sleep. We could only talk to each other between matches, so it took about a half hour to convince him that I wouldn't throw him under the bus. For the record, there was a 0% chance of me doing that.

Here's the thing that gets forgotten: we were sequestered, and as far as we knew, this was the biggest TV event of the year! $2 Million! Prime time! Seacrest! So for me, I didn't want to be known as the $2M backstabber. My career is one that has me, not famous, but in the public eye—or at least their peripheral vision—as I progress in it, and my reputation matters a lot. Also, to be honest, neither Brandon, Andy, nor I thought that there was a great chance that we would lose against whomever we were put in against (IF RESTED!), so my theoretical treachery would do nothing but make me look like a jerk. Not worth it. Plus, I thought I had a decent shot of beating everyone else (which, considering I lost to Andy by one point and then he beat Brandon by about forty, I still think I did... I'll remember what a blunderbuss is for the rest of my life). We decided that it was better to get sleep and all battle each other fresh (especially once Brandon decided to go to bed himself...neither Andy nor I wanted to be exhausted going up against him) than to be exhausted and lose on a silly mistake to a line jumper.

Because the lack of sleep was real, and it didn't come across. That's why I'll defend Hayley forever, because I did the same thing in an earlier game in (thankfully) a much lower leverage situation. It was a question about gallons in a barrel or something like that, and I just couldn't line up the numbers in my head, and it felt like I had a lot more time than I did because my brain was working more slowly and I just blew the question. I'm just glad it didn't cost me that match... there's no way I would have handled losing the way she did as gracefully as she did.

Anyway, I'm sure this is the first time you thought about this since you wrote it, but I just finished Making a Murderer and now I can't sleep, so I figured I'd tell you a couple years later that you're right.
Devin

Post by Devin »

Also, Eric's a really nice guy. We're Facebook friends and all that, and we went out drinking after the finale. Sending him in had nothing to do with any animosity and more to do with a sense that he hadn't yet earned it. The other three of us had all successfully defended our spots and been there at least a week. He had shown up a couple days earlier because of Hayley's blunder, and had only won four or so total matches (they just happened to be right before prime time). I actually told him when he woke up that it was going to be him and then we helped him study. We certainly all would rather he won than the lady who flew in, then flew out with $250k. We just wanted him to earn it.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Had to lookup gallons in a barrel; 42 US (36 Imperial). So 42 IS the answer to life, the Universe and everything! :o
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Devin

Post by Devin »

goatman wrote:Had to lookup gallons in a barrel; 42 US (36 Imperial). So 42 IS the answer to life, the Universe and everything! :o
Yeah, but the answers were something like 4.2, 42, 420, and 4,200. Again, I don't remember specifics, but it was something that a well-rested me would have easily been able to work out based on approximate scale. Exhaustion, man.
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

Just got this email:

ABC Is Now Casting Season 2 of 500 Questions!!!‏
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I didn't know this thread was on here.

I'll just say best show ever!
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

goatman wrote:Had to lookup gallons in a barrel; 42 US (36 Imperial). So 42 IS the answer to life, the Universe and everything! :o
In the U.S. brewing industry, a barrel of beer is 31 gallons.