Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6698, 2013-10-30

CONTESTANTS
Neal Shah, an attorney from Atlanta, Georgia
Jennifer Spirko, a public librarian from Maryville, Tennessee
Sean Kram, a barista from Edmonds, Washington (whose 1-day cash winnings total $28,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. A really good day for Sean yesterday --$28,401. Could be a really good day for you. We've got a trip to the Galápagos Islands available today. Jennifer and Neal, pick up those signaling devices. Here we go, into the Jeopardy! Round. Good luck to all three of you as you deal with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A PASSAGE TO INDIANA (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
GARDENING (5/5)
SUPER BOWL-WINNING COACHES (5/5)
HOMONYMS (5/5)
LET'S TWIST AGAIN (5/5)
LIKE WE DID LAST SUMMER (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jennifer: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Sean: 11 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Neal: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sean found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Sean had $1,400, Jennifer had $3,200, and Neal was at $1,000. Sean made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,400.

A PASSAGE TO INDIANA $600: A log stockade made by a certain "mad" Revolutionary War general in 1794 gave this city its name
(Sean: What is Evansville?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jennifer: $3,200
Neal: $1,000
Sean: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Our players on Jeopardy! are always very competitive in many different areas. Neal Shah plays in a pool league, right?

Neal: That's right. I play on an 8-ball team and a 9-ball team, and one of our teams --our 9-ball team actually made it to Vegas last month, so...

Alex: Okay. You have your own personalized pool cue?

Neal: I do.

Alex: Two-piece?

Neal: It is a two-piece, and I've named her Veronica. It's turquoise on black wood. It reminds me of the streaks in Veronica's hair from the comics.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Jennifer Spirko is a public librarian. She's competitive in other ways. She participated in the Great Adult Spelling Bee.

Jennifer: That's right.

Alex: And you did well?

Jennifer: I won our local competition, but I have to --I have to correct you a little bit. My trophy actually reads "speiling bee." Yes, my spelling-bee trophy has a typo on it.

[Laughter]

Jennifer: Takes a little of the shine off my victory, I have to say.

Alex: I would think so, yes.

Alex: Sean Kram from Edmonds, Washington. He's a collector. We're talking about baseball cards now, ladies and gentlemen. How many do you have in your collection?

Sean: It started as such an honest obsession, and then one thing led to another, and I have probably over 20,000.

Alex: 20,000?

Sean: 20,000.

Alex: Have you got a Honus Wagner?

Sean: I don't have a Honus Wagner. I have a Mark Buehrle.

Alex: Yeah, but if you make a little more money on our show, you could afford to buy a Honus Wagner.

Sean: I think that was a childhood pursuit. 12-year-old me would have scooped up Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, and Tinker, Evers, and Chance, but I'd probably rather have a car right now.

[Laughter]

Alex: Probably rather have a car. Okay.

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jennifer: $7,800
Neal: $3,800
Sean: $2,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SUE GRAFTON TEACHES THE ALPHABET (5/5)
A "MAD" CATEGORY (5/5)
THE LAW (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THEIR BIBLICAL MAMAS (4/5)
CULTURE AROUND THE WORLD (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE NEW YORK TIMES MOVIE REVIEWS (3/5) (Alex: And all of the clues will be given by the New York Times movie critic A.O. Scott.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jennifer: 11 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W
Neal: 9 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Sean: 4 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Neal snagged the next Daily Double on the 24th clue. Sean had $7,200, Jennifer had $13,800, and Neal was at $11,000. Neal wagered $3,000.

THE LAW $1600: It's on you to give me this word preceding "probandi" in a legal phrase meaning "burden of proof"
(Neal: What is... preponderance?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Neal who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Sean had $7,200, Jennifer had $13,800, and Neal was at $10,000. Neal wagered $2,000.

CULTURE AROUND THE WORLD $800: Drawing from the name of our motion picture capital, it's the name for India's movie industry

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE NEW YORK TIMES MOVIE REVIEWS $1200: (A.O. Scott presents the clue.) This film about a "Southern fried demagogue and his lurid downfall" featured several miscast actors including Sean Penn "stepping into one of Broderick Crawford's blowhard roles"
(Alex: And the film was [*]. "Southern fried demagogue" -- you got to love that expression.)

THE NEW YORK TIMES MOVIE REVIEWS $2000: (A.O. Scott presents the clue.) When I reviewed this 2004 Denzel Washington remake of a Frank Sinatra Cold War thriller, I called it "remembrance of things planted"

THEIR BIBLICAL MAMAS $2000: Mahlon, who left Ruth a widow

CULTURE AROUND THE WORLD $400: This museum's original holdings consisted of art collected by the Hapsburg & Bourbon monarchs of Spain
(Alex: The main museum
in Madrid, [*]).

CULTURE AROUND THE WORLD $2000: Originated by 2 high schoolers in 1971 , the Roskilde culture & music festival in this country is one of Europe's largest
(Neal: What is Iceland?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jennifer: $13,400
Neal: $10,000
Sean: $7,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNET FIRSTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Jennifer: Wager $6,601 to cover Neal.
Neal: You ought to wager to cover Sean, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $10,000. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $5,200 (to shut out Sean) or less than $3,200 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Sean). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Jennifer.
Sean: Consider risking $800, thereby beating Jennifer on the Triple Stumper (should Jennifer wager to cover Neal's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A broken laser pointer for $14.83 in 1995 holds this distinction

FINAL SCORES
Sean: $7,600 + $7,590 = $15,190 (What is the first eBay item?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Neal: $10,000 + $10,000 = $20,000 (What is the 1st item sold on ebay?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jennifer: $13,400 + $6,601 = $20,001 (What is the first item sold on ebay?) (New champion: $20,001)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jennifer: $13,400, 22 R, 2 W
Neal: $11,800, 16 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Sean: $9,000, 15 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $34,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Jennifer: 23/58 = .397
Neal: 17/60 = .283
Sean: 16/59 = .271
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SUPER BOWL-WINNING COACHES $800: Chicago Bears
(Neal: Who's George Halas?)
(Sean: Who's Butkus?)

GARDENING $600: Grow this in your garden, & you can make your own soothing tea

LET'S TWIST AGAIN $1000: It's the international-sounding name for the hairstyle seen here

GARDENING $1000: By changing the pH of the soil, you can change some of these flowers from pink to blue or purple

THE NEW YORK TIMES MOVIE REVIEWS $400: (A.O. Scott presents the clue.) This nearly flawless 2007 Pixar film featured a French rodent who had a passion for fine cooking, I called him a "rat for all seasonings"

THE NEW YORK TIMES MOVIE REVIEWS $800: (A.O. Scott presents the clue.) I raved about this first-time actress in "Dreamgirls" who upstaged an Oscar winner, a pop diva & a movie star of long standing. She's "not going anywhere, she has arrived"

THE NEW YORK TIMES MOVIE REVIEWS $1600: (A.O. Scott presents the clue.) I can sum up this animated Disney delight, one of my Critics' Picks of 2010, by saying, "back to the castle, where it's all about the hair"
(Neal: What is Rapunzel?)
(Jennifer: What is Brave?)

SUE GRAFTON TEACHES THE ALPHABET $400: "'Q' Is for" this, a hunted animal
(Neal: What is Quail?)

CULTURE AROUND THE WORLD $1200: In 1953 the Shakespeare Festival in this Ontario, Canada city held its first performance
(Sean: What's Toronto?)

CULTURE AROUND THE WORLD $1600: This form of Japanese drama that incorporates music, dance & mime developed in the 1600s
(Jennifer: What is nō?)
(Alex: No.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Fort Wayne
onus
Bollywood
All the King's Men
The Manchurian Candidate
Naomi
the Prado
Denmark
the first item sold on eBay
(Mike) Ditka
chamomile
a French twist
hydrangeas
Ratatouille
Jennifer Hudson
Tangled
Quarry
Stratford
kabuki
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Internet Firsts
A broken laser pointer for $14.83 in 1995 holds this distinction.

Spoiler
What is the first item sold on eBay?

Jennifer Spirko: $13,400+$6,601=$20,001...now a 1-day champion with $20,001
Neal Shah: $10,000+$10,000=$20,000
Sean Kram: $7,600+$7,599=$15,199
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Someone takes too much time studying about Indiana when you run it with relative ease.

I've read every Sue Grafton book except for the new one (W is for Wasted) so yeah, easiest run of the night.

Maybe its the TOC geek in me, but I'm not been exactly enjoying the runs since Jared Hall lost. A 4-day champ would be really nice.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

I will watch later- I was at my audition, which was an awesome experience :D
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Fluke cost me the run on Homonyms, since "accidental luck" got me nowhere, and fluke also being a dolphin/whale's tail didn't help me visually.

I got Lombardi entirely from "Da Turdy Point Buck", by Bananas at Large, NOT DA YOOPERS.

Never heard of Mad Anthony Wayne, so I madly hopped all over Indiana, of course thinking of every major town but Fort Wayne.

I'm surprised French Lick wasn't a TS. How would anyone know that?!

NHO Shaun White, and ended up going 0/5 in the Twists.

====

Pontiff Plaintiff was a stupid clue.

Prado was a surprising TS. I clammed since I wasn't certain, but still.

"Jennifer?" "Who is Jennifer Hudson?" "What is no? "No." I lol'd.

Not surprisingly, the two animated films were my only get in Movies.

My mom's a big Sue Grafton fan, so I've seen those alphabet books of hers a lot. However, I had a major brain fart and failed to process "when you go" = "die", so I got only 4/5.

0/5 in Biblical Mamas. I've only vaguely heard of Bathsheba, and NHO Seth or either person at $2000.

====

Awkward FJ! phrasing is awkward, but I insta-got.
ACW

Post by ACW »

SB Coaches: Lombardi and Belichick easy, had DVR paused but Landery took me a little time, I also guessed Halas :oops: :oops: :oops: and Gibbs was easy (I've been in the DC area for my whole life-nearly 30 years).
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I thought it was interesting that the J round contained both "French twist" and "French Lick". I missed French twist, but I knew the oddly named town where Larry Bird grew up.

I guessed "Lafayette" on the Indiana DD. Not a horrible guess, since it is named for a Revolutionary War figure, but I obviously didn't draw the right conclusion from the "Mad" hint. I have heard the name "Mad Anthony Wayne" before, but for me, he was definitely in the category of "sounds familiar when someone else says it" and not in the category of "I can come up with it."

I made exactly the same mistake as Neal on the Q/quail/quarry clue. I maintain that a lot of the time, it's okay to be pretty Pavlovian on the top-row clues. I ran the rest of the category, despite not knowing the specific works. There was enough tease-out information.

I went 0/5 in Biblical Mamas. Not only is the topic very far from any of my areas of expertise, but also, the clues were short. So there's no extra time to process for those of us who need it.

I got FJ, and my mind wandered to the right topic without too much trouble, but the whole time, I was mildly worried about the wording, or the exact nature of the facts in question. What I actually wrote down at home was "What is the first object sold on EBAY?", but I was mildly worried: what if it was just the first object sold on the internet in general? But I figured that would be a little too vague -- people can buy and sell things in just private communication -- so I figured that eBay was probably right.

I wonder how much detail they wanted in their response. Like, would just "What is eBay?" be OK? "What is an eBay item?" "What was first on eBay?"

FJs that ask for more than a single word could be harder to adjudicate sometimes.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My worry on FJ is if it was first item listed or first sold. I put first sold, but it seems both would have been accepted since it applied to both.
alamble

Post by alamble »

TenPoundHammer wrote: I'm surprised French Lick wasn't a TS. How would anyone know that?!
Larry Bird is an NBA Hall of Famer, and anyone who is even slightly familiar with him knows his hometown.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

It's like knowing that fellow Indianan David Letterman attended Ball State. Sometimes, funny place names associated with famous people just stick in your brain.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Was rooting for Jennifer as soon as she picked up the double rebound on Mike Ditka. (A category I should've run, BTW, except for my brain-fart on oh oh oh... not-Shula, the other guy!Yeah, Landry!)
Switched allegiance back to Sean when he went true DD.
Back to Jennifer when Sean missed the easy true DD. :(
I can't help it, it's vacillation season.

Like probably at least 80% of us, I had FJ by word 3 or 4.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Having lived not far from her hometown for a few years, I was glad she won but got a chuckle from her misspeeled trophy story.

Maryville, Tennessee, is also the hometown of Lamar Alexander (former presidential candidate and governor and current U.S. Senator).
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

alamble wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: I'm surprised French Lick wasn't a TS. How would anyone know that?!
Larry Bird is an NBA Hall of Famer, and anyone who is even slightly familiar with him knows his hometown.
A nickname of Bird's was "The Hick from French Lick". That would be one reason why people would know it. If you're not a big basketball fan, or you weren't during Bird's playing days, or from Indiana, then sure, that's a really tough clue. Fortunately, I fit all 3 of those descriptions.

Unfortunately, I also botched the Fort Wayne DD, as Lafayette was the only thing I could think of that matched a Revolutionary War general, though I wondered why he would have ever been anywhere near Indiana. Fort Wayne never even occurred to me. They didn't say "Fort" in the clue, did they?
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

lisa0012 wrote:I will watch later- I was at my audition, which was an awesome experience :D
*Like*
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

jeff6286 wrote:They didn't say "Fort" in the clue, did they?
No, but they alluded to such a structure.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote:
alamble wrote:
A nickname of Bird's was "The Hick from French Lick". That would be one reason why people would know it. If you're not a big basketball fan, or you weren't during Bird's playing days, or from Indiana, then sure, that's a really tough clue. Fortunately, I fit all 3 of those descriptions.

Unfortunately, I also botched the Fort Wayne DD, as Lafayette was the only thing I could think of that matched a Civil War general, though I wondered why he would have ever been anywhere near Indiana. Fort Wayne never even occurred to me. They didn't say "Fort" in the clue, did they?
Fort was not in the clue, but mad was, which was the TOM.

Fort Wayne was founded by its namesake.
Under the direction of American Revolutionary War statesman Anthony Wayne, the United States Army built Fort Wayne last in a series of forts near the Miami tribe village of Kekionga in 1794.[9]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Wayne,_Indiana

I associate Fort Wayne as the hometown of Frank Burns.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

jeff6286 wrote:If you're not a big basketball fan, or you weren't during Bird's playing days, or from Indiana, then sure, that's a really tough clue. Fortunately, I fit all 3 of those descriptions.
I fit only the last of those descriptions, but I still got it. Briefly thought of Terre Haute since Bird played there at Indiana State, but it didn't fit the part of the clue about salt deposits. French Lick is famous for its salt springs.
skullturf wrote:It's like knowing that fellow Indianan David Letterman attended Ball State.
FYI, nobody here says "Indianan". It would be "fellow Hoosier".
TenPoundHammer wrote:0/5 in Biblical Mamas. I've only vaguely heard of Bathsheba, and NHO Seth or either person at $2000.
You're the church organist and you haven't heard of Ruth? An entire book in the Bible is named for her!

Instaget FJ. I think I'd heard that little factoid somewhere before, and it just made sense. That was back in the good old days before the MBAs ruined eBay.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I'm surprised French Lick wasn't a TS. How would anyone know that?!
I guess you weren't on the basketball team in high school! ;)
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

BigDaddyJ wrote:You're the church organist and you haven't heard of Ruth? An entire book in the Bible is named for her!
Oh, that Ruth. Don't recall ever touching her book, though.
Vermonter wrote:I guess you weren't on the basketball team in high school! ;)
Even in high school, I was 5'6", overweight, and couldn't even run laps without feeling like my heart was going to explode.