Monday, November 4, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Monday, November 4, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr »

BigDaddyJ wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Then Alex correct himself about the contest sponsor and we missed the last clue in DJ and almost missed the DD.
I was wondering why they didn't just refilm that portion of the show instead of adding a correction. Don't they routinely do that when Alex slips up?
It was surprising. Usually they just have him redo it and they cut out the original. No idea why that didn't do that here. Maybe they didn't realize it until after the show had taped? I was wondering this as well.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Looking at the internet over various translations of Proverbs, it seems that some version say "rubies" or "rubies and pearls" or "rubies or pearls" or "pearls" or "jewels". So I'm giving myself credit for pearls.

I said Solomon Rabinowitz instead of Sholem Aleichem. I don't usually say Eric Blair instead of George Orwell, but Sholem Aleichem doesn't come up much.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

OrangeSAM wrote: Do you still call the nation whose capital is Phnom Penh Kampuchea?
D'oh!

At least China's still a better answer than that. (In the same sense that being run over by a train is better than being trampled by buffalo, but still.)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Out of the first two pages of hits on Google for "Far above rubies", only one said anything about Proverbs. Probably not the most obscure term, but IMO it needed a clearer path than just Proverbs to get there, especially for those of us who've outright NHOI.
You know the questions aren't for you, right?

Even you seem to know that you're not Jeopardy! material, so why should the questions be geared to your level and others who "NHOI"? The game is for the players, and they rate the questions based on their level. Most boardies are at that level, so listen to them on that instead.

=======

I share a wedding anniversary with Charles & Di, as well as Brad Pitt & Jennifer Aniston. (We even got married on the same day and year as the latter couple). Our marriage has so far fared quite a bit better.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: The Big Princess Cruise

Post by seaborgium »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I said Spencer for the riding in a carriage clue.
Spencer was Diana's surname, she wasn't a princess till after the wedding, and you would have been right.
And she was never "Princess Diana," so that phrase may be seen as a sobriquet that applies to her at any point in her lifetime.
BigDaddyJ
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BigDaddyJ »

silverscreentest wrote:Looking at the internet over various translations of Proverbs, it seems that some version say "rubies" or "rubies and pearls" or "rubies or pearls" or "pearls" or "jewels". So I'm giving myself credit for pearls.
I came up with rubies, but your comments make me wonder how the judges handle cases like this in which various translators have come up with differing English wording for the same passage. Would they have accepted "diamonds", as found in "The Message" (intended as an idiomatic thought-for-thought translation but often considered a paraphrase)? Has this type of issue come up previously?
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

silverscreentest wrote:Looking at the internet over various translations of Proverbs, it seems that some version say "rubies" or "rubies and pearls" or "rubies or pearls" or "pearls" or "jewels". So I'm giving myself credit for pearls.
I had a vague memory that the quote mentions two types of precious item. At home I even said "I think it's rubies and something else." So I remained clam. I've probably encountered the "rubies or pearls" version in the past.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote:
Sage on the Hudson wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I said Spencer for the riding in a carriage clue.
Spencer was Diana's surname, she wasn't a princess till after the wedding, and you would have been right.
And she was never "Princess Diana," so that phrase may be seen as a sobriquet that applies to her at any point in her lifetime.
*nod* She was Diana, Princess of Wales, but only those born to it can use the title prior to their name. During her marriage, she was Her Royal Highness, the Princess of Wales.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote:She was Diana, Princess of Wales, but only those born to it can use the title prior to their name.
God. What dreck.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
econgator wrote:She was Diana, Princess of Wales, but only those born to it can use the title prior to their name.
God. What dreck.
Okay, fine, you can be Princess Kirk, even though you weren't born to it.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Captain Kirk is already taken.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

OK, I'll settle for "The Duke of Double Jeopardy."
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

This Is Kirk! wrote:OK, I'll settle for "The Duke of Double Jeopardy."
I think you're looking for the "Rankest" thread! ;)
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
billiej

Post by billiej »

Was I the only one who said "Nine Old Men" totally as a joke then almost died laughing when it turned out to be right?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

billiej wrote:Was I the only one who said "Nine Old Men" totally as a joke then almost died laughing when it turned out to be right?
If it was a DD/FJ, where I had to answer, that would have been it, but I wouldn't risk $1000 on that.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Winner's Circle videos have been updated through Norah. For the recent champs it's interesting to look at the view counts and see who has higer or lower numbers than others.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

econgator wrote:
billiej wrote:Was I the only one who said "Nine Old Men" totally as a joke then almost died laughing when it turned out to be right?
If it was a DD/FJ, where I had to answer, that would have been it, but I wouldn't risk $1000 on that.
Yep. Watching at home, I said "It's gotta be something along the lines of 'Nine Old Men', but I'm not ringing in."

It was bottom of the board, and it was the title of something (a book I had never heard of). I wasn't sure it wasn't "Nine Great Old Men" or "Nine Old White Men" or "Nine Elderly Men" or "Nine Senior Gentlemen" or any of a myriad of other things.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Or it could have been titled like Jeffrey Toobin's book The Nine. That's why I clammed on it.

ETA: fixed iPhone-induced typo
Last edited by Woof on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I knew the phrase "Nine Old Men", but in the context of the early days of Disney. I wasn't sure whether there were two groups with the same nickname, but I ventured it as a guess, anyway.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.