Tuesday, November 5, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

soxfan99
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, November 5, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by soxfan99 »

That was an awful FJ. First of all, the wording was horrible, with a confusing mix of singular and plural pronouns and antecedents. I'm just glad nobody answered "Bill Clinton" and was ruled incorrect. Wording aside, having to go back only two presidents makes for a really boring question. The clue even rules out the Bush twins, since the "this one" points to a singular child.

I laughed at the idea of a 3:32 WR in the 100m. The 1000m isn't a much better guess. Even if you know almost nothing about track, you should know that 4:00 is a fast, but not WR mile.

"Transcendental" also struck me as odd. My thought was "irrational meditation?". I'm fairly knowledgeable about math, and I had no idea what a transcendental number is.

Just a messy game all around.
Last edited by soxfan99 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

El Jefe wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: Pi is "transcendental"? Huh?!?
Degreed math major here too-- this strikes me as very sneaky since it is most commonly identified with IRRATIONAL. Granted, that doesn't really fit with 'meditation' (but maybe if it would have if they had asked about creationism instead?)

Jeffrey
That is exactly what I negged with.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I precalled the word "irrational".

Also, embarrassingly for a math professor, I didn't ace the category. I missed the Ptolemy one. (Didn't know where he was from.) Hipparchus came to mind, but I don't know anything about him either, so I stayed clam. (In retrospect, Ptolemy strikes me as a bigger or more knowable name than Hipparchus.)
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

skullturf wrote:I precalled the word "irrational".

Also, embarrassingly for a math professor, I didn't ace the category. I missed the Ptolemy one. (Didn't know where he was from.) Hipparchus came to mind, but I don't know anything about him either, so I stayed clam. (In retrospect, Ptolemy strikes me as a bigger or more knowable name than Hipparchus.)
The name of the Black Swan director in I believe the $600 box isn't something that a math professor would be assumed to know
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Good point, that clue wasn't really about math as such. (Although I might have paid slightly more attention to the existence of the movie.) But yeah, that was just "name the director".
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

skullturf wrote:(2) was Chelsea possibly old enough to vote for her father the second time, even if not the first?
Even if she were, the way the clue was written, it wouldn't have mattered, IMO. I think the inference should be, it only has to have ever happened, not that it had to happen all the time.
econgator wrote: 2) 3:32 for the 100m?
Don't knock it! Whoever ran that would've kicked my ass.

Anybody who left to get a snack during the reading of the last theatre clue hurry back, he's almost done!
legendneverdies

Rani Peffer won $14,800 on WWTBAM on 4/28-4/29/2011. Finding out who Carole's dad was and when he played(presumably in 1988, as she said he was on 25 years almost to the day as she appeared) would take some detective work(he won one game). GSN was wise to advertise the Chase's season premiere tonight during J! last night and tonight.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I wasn't aware of mimes being part of a rodeo.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Austin Powers wrote:The "ADE" category did one of my pet peeves - start with a word ending in ADE, then one ending with ADEr, then two more ending in ADE, only to throw one at the end with "ADE" in the middle. They do this once in a blue moon, they never warn the contestants, and, not surprisingly, it's a stand and a stare on a common-knowledge word, in this case CADENCE.
The most painful (for me) example of that was in an "URK" category, going Urkel, Murky, Lurk... O'Rourke. It doesn't even have the "urk" sound in it! Ugh. So it seemed like none of us had heard of P.J. O'Rourke.
soxfan99 wrote:I laughed at the idea of a 3:32 WR in the 100m.
Glad it wasn't just me.

For FJ, I thought about the Bush twins, but figured that mentioning just one child was meant to rule them out. As I was 18 in 1992, it was rather easy for me after that. (Though anyone who remember the "Wayne's World controversy" would recall that Chelsea wasn't of age)
Last edited by Turd Ferguson on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Turd Ferguson wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:The "ADE" category did one of my pet peeves - start with a word ending in ADE, then one ending with ADEr, then two more ending in ADE, only to throw one at the end with "ADE" in the middle. They do this once in a blue moon, they never warn the contestants, and, not surprisingly, it's a stand and a stare on a common-knowledge word, in this case CADENCE.
The most painful (for me) example of that was in an "URK" category, going Urkel, Murky, Lurk... O'Rourke. It doesn't even have the "urk" sound in it! Ugh. So it seemed like none of us had heard of P.J. O'Rourke.
I tend to get tripped up a lot if the first one has the key letters in the beginning, which tricks me into thinking they all begin with that set of letters… and the very next one ends or has it in the middle. As I said, "brocade" was a "what the frak is that?!" moment for me, but I got whatever $800 was, missed the next two, and got the Lach Trash on "cadence".

I think "Cadence" stuck with me because I learned that word when trying to figure out why The Unit changed its theme song from the one that had "Fired Up" in it.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Paucle wrote:
skullturf wrote:(2) was Chelsea possibly old enough to vote for her father the second time, even if not the first?
Even if she were, the way the clue was written, it wouldn't have mattered, IMO. I think the inference should be, it only has to have ever happened, not that it had to happen all the time.
She wasn't. I voted in the 1996 election, and i was newly 18. Chelsea is two years younger than me.
billiej

Post by billiej »

legendneverdies wrote:Rani Peffer won $14,800 on WWTBAM on 4/28-4/29/2011. Finding out who Carole's dad was and when he played(presumably in 1988, as she said he was on 25 years almost to the day as she appeared) would take some detective work(he won one game). GSN was wise to advertise the Chase's season premiere tonight during J! last night and tonight.
I was rooting hard for Rani since we shared 2 days in the WWTBAM green room and she appeared immediately after I did. I hope she continues! :D
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I got Goering, but I still thought that that was a wicked tough clue for the top of the board. The clue values have been off so much lately.

My first thought on FJ was one of JFK's kids, then I realized that it was probably more recent. Amy Carter occurred to me briefly, then I thought of the correct response. I didn't think that it was a terrible clue, but it certainly wasn't a great one.

I did enjoy watching Rani. Best of retroactive luck to her for the rest of the way!
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

lisa0012 wrote:
Paucle wrote:
She wasn't. I voted in the 1996 election, and i was newly 18. Chelsea is two years younger than me.
Yes, skullturf already said that she wasn't old enough either time. I was dropping in a "if/then/else/but/ so what" situation.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think if Chelsea had been able to vote in 1996, they'd have not used this clue as it would have caused a big mess as you could argue it either way.

I think the top two Nuremberg clues were out of order. I got Goring, but I think "1973 political scandal" would have a much higher get rate among the general public.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote:5) That theater category was one of the most drawn-out and topsy-turvy cats I've ever see. The bottom 3 clues were cake and I had never even heard of the $400 one.
I very rarely make a poll request, but this one just seemed so off-the-charts poorly placed that I'd like to see how people did with it. I'm guessing it's going to poll below 20%, and it was a top row clue.
legendneverdies wrote:The name of the Black Swan director in I believe the $600 box isn't something that a math professor would be assumed to know
Another really poorly placed clue. Both category and value. What were they thinking on some of these???
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

Austin Powers wrote:
Really painful tours category; that's something folks don't notice, especially when the names of the tours aren't helpful.
Wasn't that largely a "name the artist who recorded this album" category? I only remember three of them but they were all album titles anyway. I know the Pink, Britney, and Taylor all were.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Cruddy game today. Rolling Stones at $400 were a TS?!? FJ was easy but maybe too easy. I got it but then thought I must be wrong. Ben Brantley isn't a bad writer and should stick to his day job. What a colossal waste of time.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Johnblue wrote:Cruddy game today. Rolling Stones at $400 were a TS?!?
That one threw me too, since I was expecting a solo artist, not a group, and was stumped trying to think of a solo artist who's still touring after 50 years.
legendneverdies

Fishercat wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:
Really painful tours category; that's something folks don't notice, especially when the names of the tours aren't helpful.
Wasn't that largely a "name the artist who recorded this album" category? I only remember three of them but they were all album titles anyway. I know the Pink, Britney, and Taylor all were.

Jimmy Buffett's tease out was the Coral Reefer Band, which has been his back up band since the 70s.