J******* scholarship: request for questions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Jeffreygallup
Loyal Jeopardista

J******* scholarship: request for questions

Post by Jeffreygallup »

The Sony legal department has responded as follows to my idea of establishing a scholarship at my high school for students who compete in a ********-like audition:

quote:

Dear Mr. Gallup,

Your inquiries to Maggie Speak dated September 14, 2013 and October 31, 2013, setting forth your proposed usage of the elements of “Jeopardy!”, including the name and format of “Jeopardy!”, have been referred to me. Unfortunately, due to legal restrictions and existing agreements, it is against our policy to approve such a use. Therefore, I am afraid that we must deny your request. However, we do appreciate your interest, and wish you the best.

Very truly yours,

Sarah Kiefer

Vice President

Legal Affairs

end quote.

I should have predicted the overly cautious lawyerly response. Nonetheless, I plan to move forward, but without any use of the name of the ******** quiz show, the format of *******, or the elements of ********. I would like to invite Board members -- who better? -- to contribute questions and answers appropriate for a T*** T*********
level game.

Clues should be in the form of questions, and responses should NOT be in the form of a question, lest we be accused of appropriating an element of the ******** quiz show.

I look forward to hearing from you - I have already had one offer to help with questions from an esteemed master. If you would like to participate, I suggest you contribute via PM, so that no overeager student will get a heads up by reading this forum. I'll let the board know how this turns out.

Thanks in advance.

Prior posts are appended for your convenience.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jeopardy scholarship

Postby Jeffreygallup » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:44 am

At the Jeopardy! auditions at the Trivia Championships of North America in 2011, I mentioned to Maggie that I wanted to start a memorial scholarship whose applicants would take a Jeopardy-like audition exam. (My late father was a big Jeopardy fan; he died in 2010.) Maggie suggested that the Jeopardy staff would likely help with appropriate questions.

I would also like to call it the Jeopardy scholarship (although Sony may have réservations about that, so I need to inquire).

I have now established the scholarship at the school where I teach French - North Canyon High School in Phoenix.

Questions for Board members:

1. Does anyone have a good e-mail address for the Jeopardy producers? (I think I've seen some on this board, but a search did not turn up anything.)

2. If Sony does not want me to use the name Jeopardy, even with a disclaimer, would this board's administrators be OK with my calling it the J! scholarship?

3. Any other thoughts or suggestions from my esteemed colleagues here?

Un grand merci à tous.
Jeffreygallup Loyal Jeopardista Posts: 100Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:20 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: jeopardy scholarship

Postby pinkfreud » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:55 am

I sent you a private message.
pinkfreud Jeopardy! Contestant Posts: 83Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:28 pmLocation: Tulsa, OK

Postby Jeffreygallup » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:59 pm

Our masters of the Board have not objected, so J! scholarship it is:
Jeffreygallup Loyal Jeopardista Posts: 100Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:20 pm

Postby alietr » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:34 pm

Sorry for the lack of reply ... I certainly have no objection, but I also have no relationship to TPTB. Sounds like a great idea to me, and I think it would be better with the full Jeopardy name if that's possible.
alietr --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Re: J******* scholarship: request for questions

Post by Paucle »

board hiccup?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Paucle wrote:board hiccup?
No, it looks like, to stay on the good side of Jeopardy legal counsel, Jeffreygallup self-censored his post to remove references to Jeopardy! (see, no censoring!) and Jeopardy! trademarks (like the Teen Tournament). (Jeffreygallup can correct me if I"m wrong.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Jeffreygallup
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Jeffreygallup »

Mark's interpretation is correct, although the omission of the word J******* and related terms is intended to be slightly absurd by taking all too literally the Sony legal department's admonishments. Or perhaps the "name" is too sacred to mention, like the name of God. (or G*d if I remember my Leo Rosten and the Education of Hyman Kaplan correctly).

I am, in any event, interested if anyone wants to contribute questions and answers to my scholarship competition. Don't make them too hard or trivial, please - I'm looking for what a bright student in any high school might know, not just the elite national pool group of finalists for the T*** T*********.