Tuesday, November 12, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyJ
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BigDaddyJ »

ElendilPickle wrote:For me, it's the combination of Lord of the Rings geekery and dh and I deciding at the last minute not to attempt the Tongariro Crossing, since we weren't prepared for bad weather.
I'm jealous! Serious LOTR fan, but I've never been to NZ. Maybe that's what I'll do with my winnings if I ever get on the show. :)
TenPoundHammer wrote:Wow, I must not have been looking at the maps too closely. I always thought NZ was only one island.
You may have confused it with Zeeland, Michigan. I'm assuming you only own a Michigan map since you said there's no reason to leave the state. ;)
kickerofelves wrote:It also tends to be Madam + (any other formal title of address). Madam Secretary. Madam Speaker. Madam Chairperson. Whatever.
The one that came to my mind was Madam Toastmaster.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

lisa0012 wrote:Can anyone explain these wagers? Anyone? :?:
I am unsure in what world Mary Beth wagers 11,501. That said I probably would have wagered 2,400 as Patrick.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
BigDaddyJ wrote:
geolawyerman wrote:North Island.
That's what did it for me. Country + "North Island" (or "South Island") is Pavlov for NZ.
Wow, I must not have been looking at the maps too closely. I always thought NZ was only one island.
And here I thought it was you kept thinking it had a boomerang fish act.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Kati's wager sorta makes sense since her only chance to advance to the semifinal round is as a wild card, in which case she needs the highest score she can get. Of course in that case, going all in might make more sense. Meanwhile, I woulda thought most people know that King Tut's tomb was opened in the 20th century (1920s, yes?), way, way after the time frame in this clue. And failing that, one could figure out that no one carted off the whole tomb to a museum in Great Britain. So I'm guessing Kati had no real clue on this FJ.

Marybeth's wager makes perfect sense if all you are thinking of is a nice, round number, which $20,000 is. In the first round of a tournament, needing only to qualify to advance, I'm guessing a lot of people (me included) would probably stand pat on $15,200; so why she would risk that, who knows?

Patrick? Well, if you'd stand pat on $15,200, you should sure as heck stand pat on $19,200. Why risk that is also "who knows?" Why that specific, odd amount is double "who knows?"

And yes, TPH, "North Island" is Pavlovian for New Zealand.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Volante wrote:
Golf wrote:
I can explain it, THEY SUCKED. Satisfied? :D

I think Mary Beth was close to good, wagering $4001 to move her ahead of a $0 bet from the leader would have been the play IMO.
Ahh, hindsight...

Ya'll gonna look silly when the cutoff ends up being over 20k! :lol:
How many quatloos would you like to wager on "over" that in this tournament the cutoff will be over or under $20K? Sight unseen, I'll cover that wager.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

BigDaddyJ wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:For me, it's the combination of Lord of the Rings geekery and dh and I deciding at the last minute not to attempt the Tongariro Crossing, since we weren't prepared for bad weather.
I'm jealous! Serious LOTR fan, but I've never been to NZ. Maybe that's what I'll do with my winnings if I ever get on the show. :)
We won a trip there in 2003 as part of a Lord of the Rings movie promotion in our local supermarket. I entered dh and me, hoping I'd win a DVD or a piece of jewelry or something. We were shocked when dh won the grand prize. :D

We spent 10 days on the North Island visiting filming sites and having a wonderful time.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

ElendilPickle wrote:We won a trip there in 2003 as part of a Lord of the Rings movie promotion in our local supermarket.
Wow, that's super cool. Of course I'm expecting to win one of those Lindblad trips... :P
Sage on the Hudson

Michelin: five stars; Michigan: no stars

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

BigDaddyJ wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Wow, I must not have been looking at the maps too closely. I always thought NZ was only one island.
You may have confused it with Zeeland, Michigan. I'm assuming you only own a Michigan map since you said there's no reason to leave the state. ;)
I've just figured it out: Rick Snyder, Michigan's vile excuse for a governor, could not have been elected without TPH's vote.
davey

Post by davey »

dhkendall wrote:In "Historical" $400: is "What is the Washington March" acceptable enough? (Given was "The March on Washington")
For most clues on the subject, maybe - for this one I say not, since it gave part of the formal name and wanted the rest....Besides, The Washington March sounds like it belongs in a Sousa category...
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:We won a trip there in 2003 as part of a Lord of the Rings movie promotion in our local supermarket.
Wow, that's super cool. Of course I'm expecting to win one of those Lindblad trips... :P
You and me both! I'd happily go on any of those trips.

One of the best parts of the New Zealand trip was running into Richard Taylor, head of Weta Workshop, while we were in Wellington looking for filming sites. He was out for a Sunday walk with his wife and son, and they were happy to help us find the places we were looking for. This was right after they swept the Oscars, so it was extra cool to meet him.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

dhkendall wrote:In "Historical" $400: is "What is the Washington March" acceptable enough? (Given was "The March on Washington")
Any word?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Davey gave you a few words just two posts above yours.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:
Any word?
OK, TPH. Stop logging into David's account!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

dhkendall wrote:
Any word?
Any? No, it pretty much has to be those words.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Any word?
OK, TPH. Stop logging into David's account!

Brian
Just wanting to get my scoring in my tracking sheet for that game is all. :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

ElendilPickle wrote:
BigDaddyJ wrote:
We won a trip there in 2003 as part of a Lord of the Rings movie promotion in our local supermarket. I entered dh and me, hoping I'd win a DVD or a piece of jewelry or something. We were shocked when dh won the grand prize. :D

We spent 10 days on the North Island visiting filming sites and having a wonderful time.
Great story! But... 10 days in NZ and you didn't get to the South Island? I admit that I'm biased, preferring landscape over culture, but places like Fiordland, Franz-Josef Glacier and Mt. Cook, to name a few, are not to be missed IMO (of course, neither are Rotorua or the Coromandel Peninsula). And it's not like the LOTR connection ends at Marlborough Sound...
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

There are now official Maori names for the New Zealand islands. The North Island is Te Ika-a-Maui and the South Island is Te Waipounamu. You can still call them North Island and South Island.

I'm going to guess that before the end of the year, these names will be clues on Jeopardy!. The correct question will be the much easier to say,"What is [North Island][South Island][New Zealand]?"
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Woof wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:
BigDaddyJ wrote:

Great story! But... 10 days in NZ and you didn't get to the South Island? I admit that I'm biased, preferring landscape over culture, but places like Fiordland, Franz-Josef Glacier and Mt. Cook, to name a few, are not to be missed IMO (of course, neither are Rotorua or the Coromandel Peninsula). And it's not like the LOTR connection ends at Marlborough Sound...
The trip package included eight nights' lodging, which we stretched to 10 by staying in hostels for two nights. We had to fly in and out of Auckland, and, sadly, we just couldn't afford to travel to the South Island, so we made the most of what we could do. I still hope to get to the South Island someday.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

ElendilPickle wrote:
The trip package included eight nights' lodging, which we stretched to 10 by staying in hostels for two nights. We had to fly in and out of Auckland, and, sadly, we just couldn't afford to travel to the South Island, so we made the most of what we could do. I still hope to get to the South Island someday.
That makes perfect sense. And the ferry toll between the two islands, surprisingly, ain't cheap at all. :( We were extremely fortunate to spend our last sabbatical at Univ. of Canterbury in Christchurch, six months post-earthquake. We lived in C'church for 2 months and got to travel quite a bit, which was the experience of a lifetime for my wife and myself (our then-7-year-old son will have to decide that, I hope, much later for himself). Because we flew out of Auckland, we took the last week of our stay to drive up there, taking in a bit of the N Island. Two stories from that experience are on the short list for my next J! audition.