Wednesday, November 13, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

I didn't know what electrum is, but thought the FJ was simple anyway...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I had a different take on the 5 becomes 6 Nations as my guess was Iroquois League. Judges?

Twice I had to CLAM on So Cal clues as I had Disney and the valley, but did not know what to add to my responses. Tony Parker = TX was easier.

The TV Nerds were easy. I would have used Irwin Handleman, Paul Pfeiffer, Chloe O'Brian, Bill Haverchuck and Gale Boetticher. For a current show Adam Goldberg is doing good stuff on The Goldbergs.

The FJ! clue had me write King Midas for best guess for a guy getting rid of a curse. My problem and doubt was I thought he starved since all his food turned to gold. The version used on the show was unknown to me. I knew not to write Achilles and I figured someone would guess him.

James was 0/3 on his 2 DDs and FJ, so that is a tough way to make the semis. He won't be singing, "I feel good..."
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Vanya wrote:No clue on FJ, said Ulysses to say something. Maybe a poll question(s)? Never heard of electrum (a naturally occurring alloy of silver and gold) (another poll question!); my spell-checker hasn't heard of it either.

Oh, well duh, if you know what electrum is it's an easier FJ.
Ditto. I never knew that Midas got rid of the curse (although I certainly know of electrum from my years of playing D&D).
Golf

Post by Golf »

BigDaddyJ wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:TP went completely over my head. Any reason I should need to know that guy at $200?
Maybe in case it comes up on Jeopardy!
Well done. That should be the answer each and every time the question is asked. Substituting Wheel of Fortune for Jeopardy on occasion might do the trick as well.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

MarkBarrett wrote:I had a different take on the 5 becomes 6 Nations as my guess was Iroquois League. Judges?
Ooh, sorry; the Iroquois Confederacy existed before the immigration and petition to join of the Tuscarora.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I never really thought of Potsie as a nerd, even though Fonzie called him one. He wasn't super smart, nor was he socially inept and seemed to do OK with girls. And he hung out with the coolest guy in town.

I couldn't come up with anyone but Midas. I never really knew much about him other than he turned things into gold, never heard of him starving, the story I heard is he turned his daughter into gold. I always wondered why he didn't turn into gold himself when he touched his won body.

Achilles? He didn't have anything to wash off, he had something he wanted to wash on, or at least wash his heel. And why didn't his mom stick his foot in the the river Styx after she dunked him?
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

Bamaman wrote:I never really thought of Potsie as a nerd, even though Fonzie called him one. He wasn't super smart, nor was he socially inept and seemed to do OK with girls. And he hung out with the coolest guy in town.

I couldn't come up with anyone but Midas. I never really knew much about him other than he turned things into gold, never heard of him starving, the story I heard is he turned his daughter into gold. I always wondered why he didn't turn into gold himself when he touched his won body.

Achilles? He didn't have anything to wash off, he had something he wanted to wash on, or at least wash his heel. And why didn't his mom stick his foot in the the river Styx after she dunked him?
Well, there was the one episode where some girl left him notes calling him "dren" because everyone else called him a nerd. Might have been Joanie, even.

I think the Achilles gift was a one-time only thing, if I recall the myths correctly. A second dip would kill a mortal man. His mother was a nymph or a Titan, and she tricked Hades into letting her do it. So Hades made sure Paris knew where to shoot -- pulling a fast one on the lord of the underworld was not the smartest idea Mom ever had.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Second FJ brain fart in a row for me. I knew the reference to electrum was gold and all I could think of was Croesus and I knew it was wrong. Midas came to me about one second after the final note of the think music.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

skullturf wrote:It's easy to criticize, but my "shout at the TV" moment tonight was when nobody rebounded with "What is Armenia?" after Azerbaijan was negged.

I mean, I would have needed the rebound myself. I wasn't sure which if those two was correct. But I know that they're the two "A" countries in the area shown on the map.
I took an odd route to Armenia. The only Tigran at all present in my memory is Tigran Petrosian, and Petrosian is an Armenian name. I'm not sure if I would have been confident enough to buzz in, but I certainly would have taken a shot on the rebound from Azerbaijan.

Didn't get FJ. I got as far as figuring out that Achilles was wrong. I don't think I ever became aware that Midas's curse was dispelled. Guess I learned something today.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

There are several versions of the King Midas story. Sometimes he starves to death (although why someone couldn't have just thrown grapes into his open mouth, I've never understood), sometimes he offs his daughter, sometimes he simply gets rid of his curse. Midas, by the way, is also the person who tied the Gordian Knot.

I was surprised to discover that the composition of electrum isn't widely known, but I was even more surprised to learn that both Achilles and Hercules were cursed -- presumably with invulnerability, superhuman strength, and all-round heroism. As Achilles's Uncle Ben used to say, "With great curses come great responsibility." No wonder they wished to rid themselves of their curses so eagerly.

Rex
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Tom Petty + Free Falling led me to Reseda (it was a long day). I don't remember enough about the question to know if that would've also been a correct response, in addition to the larger San Fernando Valley?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:OK. Three days in a row where a state capital trips up a teacher. I can accept that.
I would have been able to accept it more if she said "Des Moines" instead of "Iowa City", which I've never heard anyone say was the capital. (I've heard either "Des Moines" or "no idea". Nothing else.)

I said "Naaman" for the FJ. (Don't worry, TPH, you haven't heard of him.) I thought I was pretty clever, except for the fact that I don't believe Naaman's leprosy / skin disease was a curse, and I also forgot the category - classifying Naaman under "Mythology" would make Thomas-gate look like a child's tea party in terms of audience reaction! I think I just got hung up on bathing in a Middle Eastern river and stopped there.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Turd Ferguson wrote:Tom Petty + Free Falling led me to Reseda (it was a long day). I don't remember enough about the question to know if that would've also been a correct response, in addition to the larger San Fernando Valley?
Yeah, the only lyric that came to mind for me was Mullholland. I'm sure this question seemed easy when it was written by someone who lives in LA!

Reseda would have to be good enough. Heck, that's mentioned in the song and the Valley isn't.
dhkendall wrote:I would have been able to accept it more if she said "Des Moines" instead of "Iowa City", which I've never heard anyone say was the capital. (I've heard either "Des Moines" or "no idea". Nothing else.)
But Iowa City was the first state capital of Iowa. In fact the old capitol building is on the campus of the University of Iowa.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:Tom Petty + Free Falling led me to Reseda (it was a long day). I don't remember enough about the question to know if that would've also been a correct response, in addition to the larger San Fernando Valley?
Yeah, the only lyric that came to mind for me was Mullholland. I'm sure this question seemed easy when it was written by someone who lives in LA!

Reseda would have to be good enough. Heck, that's mentioned in the song and the Valley isn't.
But the clue said "in Encino in this part of L.A." Encino is not in Reseda.

Edit: The J! round board was cleared out from left to right, with each category taken from top to bottom. I don't imagine that's a common occurrence, but I can't figure out a way to determine whether it's ever happened before.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

davey wrote:I didn't know what electrum is, but thought the FJ was simple anyway...
I also had no clue about electrum. But "washing off a curse" immediately made me think of Midas, who was really cursed when he realized he would starve since even the food he tried to eat turned to gold. I don't know if it was a simple FJ but I guess thinking of only one thing made it simple for me.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote:But the clue said "in Encino in this part of L.A." Encino is not in Reseda.
I didn't remember that bit. And I was also wrong that the valley isn't mentioned ("All the vampires, walkin' through the valley"). But you'd still need to have a pretty good knowledge of L.A. to even know what the heck he was singing about.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

El Jefe wrote:Wow, in the chat with James about the function of an early college high school, did Alex really just need help understanding that 2 + 2 = 4?

I understand he gets slagged too much (often by sensitive FBers for his alleged sharpness) but what are the chances it is clear to anyone listening what an associates degree is and the difference between 2 years and 4?

Jeffrey
Some of my Canadian friends can correct me here, but maybe part of the problem is I'm not sure the term "Associates Degree" is used up north.

I know that the term "college," which down here means any post-secondary education, generally means a 2-year program in Canada; a four-year program is "university."
Rex Kramer wrote:There are several versions of the King Midas story. Sometimes he starves to death (although why someone couldn't have just thrown grapes into his open mouth, I've never understood), sometimes he offs his daughter, sometimes he simply gets rid of his curse. Midas, by the way, is also the person who tied the Gordian Knot.
My personal favorite was the aftermath of the curse -- he got donkey ears (think Pinocchio) to remind him of his assinine behavior, and always wore a hat to cover them afterwards. (There's more to it from that point, but I'll let you look it up if you're interested).
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Some of my Canadian friends can correct me here, but maybe part of the problem is I'm not sure the term "Associates Degree" is used up north.

I know that the term "college," which down here means any post-secondary education, generally means a 2-year program in Canada; a four-year program is "university."
No, I haven't heard the term up here, either. But then I haven't been living in the US for the past few decades and been an American citizen for the past 15 years like Trebek has, so he has much less of an excuse to blame something on his Canadian-ness.

(And I've noticed that "college" seems to have the American meaning here, in addition to being applied to higher learning institutions that aren't universities (again, something I believe we share with the States.))
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

We should have a top "shout at the TV" moment for each game.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

harrumph wrote:We should have a top "shout at the TV" moment for each game.
Make a poll. :)