For the LLamas Among Us

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: For the LLamas Among Us

Post by jfrumkin »

econgator wrote:So, that wasn't Robert di Niro ...
I knew it wasn't de Niro, but was still going on the assumption that the guy looked Italian. And then didn't do any better because I poorly went Anthony Quinn (hey, he played Zorba, which is a Mediterranean-ish guy). Only one I missed, too.

Also, only 38% of people recognized the amazing Tatiana Maslany. Boo.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Yeah, I was pretty sure it wasn't DeNiro, but it looked enough like him that I thought maybe it was just a weird picture. I couldn't figure out why he would use a picture of a guy covering half his face. Didn't really matter, as there was no way I was going to give the correct answer anyway.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

jeff6286 wrote:
Yeah, I was pretty sure it wasn't DeNiro, but it looked enough like him that I thought maybe it was just a weird picture. I couldn't figure out why he would use a picture of a guy covering half his face. Didn't really matter, as there was no way I was going to give the correct answer anyway.
When I read the question the first time, I saw it as "Name this cinematic Italian", so I actually typed in Fellini as a guess. Since I'm now in the habit of re-reading questions before submitting (have been burned multiple times!), I noticed my mistake, laughed, and erased the answer.

Of course I ended up not having any idea who it could be after that and "TPH-ed" it... oops.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jfrumkin wrote: Also, only 38% of people recognized the amazing Tatiana Maslany. Boo.
Boo, indeed!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote:
jfrumkin wrote: Also, only 38% of people recognized the amazing Tatiana Maslany. Boo.
Boo, indeed!
What does she have to do to get an Emmy nomination? Play a man? Oh wait, she even did that in season 2. The show airs on Saturdays on BBCA. 38% sounds like an expected range to me and you LLs probably watch fewer hours of TV than regular folks.

Those who do watch know what an amazing acting job the actress does in each episode.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:
econgator wrote:
Boo, indeed!
What does she have to do to get an Emmy nomination? Play a man? Oh wait, she even did that in season 2. The show airs on Saturdays on BBCA. 38% sounds like an expected range to me and you LLs probably watch fewer hours of TV than regular folks.

Those who do watch know what an amazing acting job the actress does in each episode.
Love the quote:

"Tatiana Maslany, or honest to God, there is no point in giving out awards." - Mary McNamara, Los Angeles Times, Emmys 2014: Overdue Nominations

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/en ... olumn.html
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Yesterday was the first time in the Portraits mini-league that they have asked a questions about a name where I had never heard of the person before. (I was one of the 15% who said Guisewite, although I wavered between that and Lynn Johnston.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

teapot37 wrote:Yesterday was the first time in the Portraits mini-league that they have asked a questions about a name where I had never heard of the person before. (I was one of the 15% who said Guisewite, although I wavered between that and Lynn Johnston.)
Nor had I, although it was the 2nd time for me (I had never heard of Ai Weiwei, either). Guisewite was one of my 4 MCW's yesterday. On Q6, the other one I should have gotten, I thought to myself, "Well, I know it's not Magnus Carlsen, because he's a blond. Hmmm ..." *sigh*.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

econgator wrote:
teapot37 wrote:Yesterday was the first time in the Portraits mini-league that they have asked a questions about a name where I had never heard of the person before. (I was one of the 15% who said Guisewite, although I wavered between that and Lynn Johnston.)
Nor had I, although it was the 2nd time for me (I had never heard of Ai Weiwei, either). Guisewite was one of my 4 MCW's yesterday. On Q6, the other one I should have gotten, I thought to myself, "Well, I know it's not Magnus Carlsen, because he's a blond. Hmmm ..." *sigh*.
There was a decent documentary not too long ago called Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry that I watched on Netflix a while back. There was decent Oscar buzz around it but it didn't end up getting nominated.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote:Nor had I, although it was the 2nd time for me (I had never heard of Ai Weiwei, either).
Same for me on both. I was really surprised so many people knew Ai Weiwei. Is there some (specific) reason he is famous?

I guessed "BMX racing" for Carlsen. I chuckled when I saw the correct answer!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

That has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever done.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

econgator wrote:That has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever done.
I'll see your stupid and raise you my, "Pakistan is way too obvious. I'll bet it's some guy from India even more foundationally statesmanlike than Nehru and Gandhi."

Rex
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

econgator wrote:That has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever done.
So, what I did was put "The Greatest" for Gretzky instead of "The Great One". *sigh*
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
econgator wrote:
Boo, indeed!

Love the quote:

"Tatiana Maslany, or honest to God, there is no point in giving out awards." - Mary McNamara, Los Angeles Times, Emmys 2014: Overdue Nominations

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/en ... olumn.html
Snubbed again. :(
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:Snubbed again. :(
To be fair, Best Actress is pretty much the Emmy's version of the Group of Death, although this year I would have given it to Maslany over Dockery.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Well, I made it to the championship round of the Just Images Portraits MiniLeague, but I have a feeling I'm going to get my butt kicked. You know that feeling when you look at the questions and think "I'm not sure if I know ANY of these"?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Well, I made it to the championship round of the Just Images Portraits MiniLeague, but I have a feeling I'm going to get my butt kicked. You know that feeling when you look at the questions and think "I'm not sure if I know ANY of these"?
Yeah, those look to be much harder than the normal set (I know 2 of them, but I'm not in the Finals).

Good luck!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote:Good luck!
Thanks, I need it!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
econgator wrote:Good luck!
Thanks, I need it!
I looked at those questions. You need Miracle Max.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I know three of them and have halfway-decent guesses on another two.
I was looking at the different groups to see if there was a "group of death". There's one where a guy got 50 TCA and still didn't make the finals. That's rough.