For the LLamas Among Us

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: For the LLamas Among Us

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

ThreeIfByAir wrote:
sarah0114 wrote:I looked at the guy looming over the stadium in that logo and put Giants as a joke. That was a lucky break. Anyone know why Bears was such a popular answer?
Probably to do with how many NFL teams people can name that were around in 1956. Most AFC teams are newer than that, and weren't in the NFL until 1970 anyway. I took a guess along the lines of 'which 1956 team played in a recognizable baseball stadium' (the pattern of the lights and pennants around home plate said baseball) and both the Bears and Packers played in football-only stadia, so I concluded that was probably Yankee Stadium and therefore the Giants.
Except that back then the Bears played in Wrigley Field. They didn't move into Soldier Field until 1971.
Sheepin' it real.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

I also guessed that the intended TOM for the NFL team was the stadium, but then I thought it was the Polo Grounds (didn't look like Soldier Field, plus I would have been surprised if the Bears had temporarily ditched the emblematic C logo). Ended up in the same place, thankfully.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Very fortunate six-pack for me yesterday. When I submitted I was thinking I got somewhere between three and six correct. I was pretty shocked that all my guesses ended up being right!
Lampy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lampy »

ThreeIfByAir wrote: Oh, and I also said the Royal Fireworks. Clearly there aren't many LLamas getting ready to do an annual Christmas Messiah Sing.
I couldn't decide and just figured if he was going to ask for the Fireworks he'd have given us something else to recognize that's what it was.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

jfrumkin wrote:My DE by season: .714, .776, .684, and, this season, .556. I'm getting pummeled. I'm tied for 2nd most correct answers and am in 17th place. I'm sure some of it is luck, but this C Horizon rundle is freaking tough, almost as tough as my B last year.

I'm betting some of the Giants gets were a guess based on them having played the night before. If I could photoshop, I was going to redo that logo but with the Beckham catch on top. But I can't photoshop, so you can only imagine how clever I would be.
I'm having kind of a similar season. I'm also in a C rundle (Central) and I'm in 14th place, but only three people have more correct answers than me. My DE is .539, but when I was a rookie, it was .760.

I somewhat randomly guessed the Bears, for no more sophisticated reason than them being probably a fairly old team who has blue in their uniforms. (Note: Although I currently live in Chicago, I only moved here in August, so I don't have years of immersion in Chicago sports history.)

Altogether, I had 3 correct answers and 3 most common wrong answers.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

The football question was one where it paid to go with the obvious. There's a frickin giant throwing a football, towering over a stadium. Didn't want to overthink it and got it right.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Well it looked like the LA Coliseum to me.
ThreeIfByAir
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ThreeIfByAir »

jfrumkin wrote:My DE by season: .714, .776, .684, and, this season, .556. I'm getting pummeled. I'm tied for 2nd most correct answers and am in 17th place. I'm sure some of it is luck, but this C Horizon rundle is freaking tough, almost as tough as my B last year.
You and me both. Fourth in correct answers and fifteenth overall. I know defense is hard in a rookie rundle, but boy have I gotten pummeled. (First in CAA by a mile, for one thing.) I'm still hoping to stretch up to seventh place to scrape into C, but that six-point gap between me and seventh is pretty yawning. And once you're in D (or, heaven forfend, E), it's pretty hard to claw your way up.
TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:Except that back then the Bears played in Wrigley Field. They didn't move into Soldier Field until 1971.
Oops. Shows how much I know. Except that the Cubs don't exactly have a surfeit of pennants :D
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

My favorite NFL logo.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Vanya wrote:My favorite NFL logo.

Jim Harbaugh grew a mustache?

Wait, can't be him...those aren't Walmart khakis.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:The football question was one where it paid to go with the obvious. There's a frickin giant throwing a football, towering over a stadium. Didn't want to overthink it and got it right.
So am I the only one who got this by, you know, actually recognizing it? Granted, I wasn't 100% sure, but Giants came to mind instantly when I saw it.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

tjconn728 wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:The football question was one where it paid to go with the obvious. There's a frickin giant throwing a football, towering over a stadium. Didn't want to overthink it and got it right.
So am I the only one who got this by, you know, actually recognizing it? Granted, I wasn't 100% sure, but Giants came to mind instantly when I saw it.
It looked familiar to me from way, way back, and I knew it wasn't the Jets, so I assumed it was the Giants.
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

If I hadn't second-guessed myself on Denmark at the last second, I'd've won yesterday...(sigh)
アタックチャンス!
OldSchoolChamp

Post by OldSchoolChamp »

tjconn728 wrote:So am I the only one who got this by, you know, actually recognizing it? Granted, I wasn't 100% sure, but Giants came to mind instantly when I saw it.
You are not. I remember the 1956 Giants and instantly recognized the logo (and the Stadium). I can still name the entire lineup (from a few years later, probably around 1959 or ’60) off the top of my head, complete with uniform numbers. (Was going to do this on the thread about the David Robinson/Magic Johnson question, but never posted):
  • LE 85 Bob Schnelker (there weren’t designated “tight ends” and “split ends” in those days, let alone “wide receivers”)
    LT 75 Roosevelt Brown
    LG 62 Darrell Dess
    C 55 Ray Wietecha
    RG 66 Jack Stroud
    RT 72 Frank Youso
    RE 44 Kyle Rote
    QB 42 Charlie Conerly
    LHB 16 Frank Gifford
    RHB 29 Alex Webster
    FB 33 Mel Triplett

LE 75 Jim Katcavage
    LT 77 Dick Modzelewski
    RT 76 Roosevelt Grier
    RE 81 Andy Robustelli
    LLB 89 Cliff Livingston
    MLB 70 Sam Huff
    RLB 84 Harland Svare
    LHB 41 Lindon Crow (they were still “defensive halfbacks,” not “cornerbacks”)
    RHB 22 Dick Lynch
    LS 45 Emlen Tunnell (not yet “strong safety” and “free safety”)
    RS 20 Jim Patton

K 88 Pat Summerall
    P 34 Don Chandler
We shall not cease from exploration,
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

tjconn728 wrote:
Sounds like you're one of the few, but there was enough in the question to come to the right answer. Plus, the blue mood throughout also helped.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
schoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by schoe »

Well today is a lesson to me that I should not play LearnedLeague while both (i) drunk and (ii) scrambling to make a flight... :oops:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

schoe wrote:Well today is a lesson to me that I should not play LearnedLeague while both (i) drunk and (ii) scrambling to make a flight... :oops:
Ya think? But it's better than forfeiting. If you'd forfeited, a crying baby would be in the seat next to you on the flight.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Sparks was my first guess, and then I thought, oh, his fame is quite recent, there's no way that illiterate oaf has already had 9 of his books churned into movies. So I thought, who's that romance novelist that takes a whole shelf (or three) in the bookstore? Danielle Steele. Let's try her. Ooooh, sorry...

Tony and Tina's Wedding - I knew this was something I had definitely heard of, but just couldn't come up with the names. When I saw the answer, I couldn't believe that I couldn't remember it.

Yet, somehow I managed to pull a 7(4) - 5(4). On top of everything, this season I am bad at predicting, after seeing the answers, how I will do in the match.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

gnash wrote:Sparks was my first guess, and then I thought, oh, his fame is quite recent, there's no way that illiterate oaf has already had 9 of his books churned into movies. So I thought, who's that romance novelist that takes a whole shelf (or three) in the bookstore? Danielle Steele. Let's try her. Ooooh, sorry...

Tony and Tina's Wedding - I knew this was something I had definitely heard of, but just couldn't come up with the names. When I saw the answer, I couldn't believe that I couldn't remember it.
You're two up on me. I've never heard of Sparks (said Steele) or Tony & Tina (no answer).

On the other side, I can't believe that Tony & Tina and K2 polled nearly identical. I would bet big that in a trivia league "Godwin-Austen = K2" would hit 90%+.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

econgator wrote:On the other side, I can't believe that Tony & Tina and K2 polled nearly identical. I would bet big that in a trivia league "Godwin-Austen = K2" would hit 90%+.
For whatever reason (maybe because it was 5:30AM, pre-caffeination), it took me quite a while to parse the K2 question. Once I figured out what they were asking, the answer came pretty quick, but I have a feeling some may have given up not even understanding the question.
Sheepin' it real.