For the LLamas Among Us

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: For the LLamas Among Us

Post by Woof »

teapot37 wrote: I also said "electrical field" instead of "magnetic field". Lost by one point.
That one gave me fits, too, and I'm a freakin' scientist. As I thought about it, I knew that the units of electric field were Volts per meter, not amps per meter. It couldn't be resistance, so what does that leave? And why does the Earth have one? What was throwing me was thinking of the Tesla unit, until I dimly recalled from Physics that it's a unit of magnetic flux density, not magnetic field strength. So, a WAG for the ages that proves correct. :mrgreen:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

skullturf wrote:
Vanya wrote:Feathers instead of wings kept me from a perfect score.
(In addition to "feathers" instead of "wings", I had Manolo Blahnik instead of Christian Louboutin.)
Animal Farm is one of my favourite books, but I guess it's been a while since I read it because that was my response too.

As to the shoes, I couldn't even get MCWA, I thought it was Blahnik as well but that name is not something I think about at all, I muddled it with something like Blanoko. I consoled myself with the fact that even if I was right I would have been wrong (althought if I got either of those *right* right I would have won!) [/quote]
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Yeah, I wasn't sure whether "Manolo Blahnik" was one person's first and last name, or two different people's last names.

I eventually decided to gamble that it was the full name of one individual, which happened to be correct -- but irrelevant!
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

So now every guy who answered Manolo Blahnik has to admit to watching Sex and the City.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

sarah0114 wrote:Turns out, Bach did not write The Art of Farts.
No but that's definitely something I wouldn't put past Mozart (those who aren't familiar with the work in the link: drop everything and read about it now. Unless you're at work, NSFW was a thing even 300 years ago.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Woof wrote:
teapot37 wrote: I also said "electrical field" instead of "magnetic field". Lost by one point.
That one gave me fits, too, and I'm a freakin' scientist. As I thought about it, I knew that the units of electric field were Volts per meter, not amps per meter. It couldn't be resistance, so what does that leave? And why does the Earth have one? What was throwing me was thinking of the Tesla unit, until I dimly recalled from Physics that it's a unit of magnetic flux density, not magnetic field strength. So, a WAG for the ages that proves correct. :mrgreen:
It took me a while to realize that I should probably stop trying to figure out which E&M laws relate to charge per time per distance and just go with the simplest response to the TOM. (And yes, Teslas threw me off for a good while as well.)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got credit for "magnetism." My thought process: "Oh, amperes are current, right? So what are volts? I'd feel better about saying 'current' if I had the other term as well. Wait, amperes per meter?? What even is that? Well, I've heard Ørsted's name before; it was spelled Oersted in Explorabook. Was his name in the section about blowing air? No, that was Bernoulli. How about magnets? The book came with a magnet. Sure, why not. Oh, and magnetism and electricity are connected, so the ampere bit makes sense. And Earth is magnetic. Magnetism it is."

Drew Scheeler and I are the only ones in the whole league who still have a perfect defense record. It helps to have opponents who rarely get anything wrong.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

dhkendall wrote:
skullturf wrote:
(In addition to "feathers" instead of "wings", I had Manolo Blahnik instead of Christian Louboutin.)
Animal Farm is one of my favourite books, but I guess it's been a while since I read it because that was my response too.

As to the shoes, I couldn't even get MCWA, I thought it was Blahnik as well but that name is not something I think about at all, I muddled it with something like Blanoko. I consoled myself with the fact that even if I was right I would have been wrong (althought if I got either of those *right* right I would have won!)
I said "none", thinking of snakes
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
TheyCallMeMrKid

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Vanya wrote:So now every guy who answered Manolo Blahnik has to admit to watching Sex and the City.
I said Manolo Blanc, and I admit I have watched many, many episodes of Looney Tunes. :D
Sheepin' it real.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Vermonter wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
skullturf wrote:

As to the shoes, I couldn't even get MCWA, I thought it was Blahnik as well but that name is not something I think about at all, I muddled it with something like Blanoko. I consoled myself with the fact that even if I was right I would have been wrong (althought if I got either of those *right* right I would have won!)
I said "none", thinking of snakes
I said "fins."

Wings..... D'Oh!!!
tjconn728
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by tjconn728 »

Vanya wrote:So now every guy who answered Manolo Blahnik has to admit to watching Sex and the City.
Nope, I got Manolo Blahnik from an SNL sketch. Never seen more than a few minutes of Sex and the City.

In response to Woof's comment, as someone who is apparently horrible at science (5/25 in two seasons) and did answer conductivity, is there a simple way to explain why exactly that couldn't have been the answer? I thought amperes were a measure of electricity, so it seemed feasible to me.

On a related note, any advice on the best way to brush up on science? Much to my displeasure, it comes up as a category far more than anything else. I'd really like to improve my knowledge there, but is a bit intimidating in figuring out where to start as it is so broad and I feel like my basic knowledge base is fairly good, I just don't know where or how to deepen it.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Spoiler for tonight's (Friday) Jeopardy/the ToC Final.
Spoiler
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

Yeah, well I answered Zalman King, so there.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
fowlerism

Post by fowlerism »

In some kind of retroactive Conservation of Trivia Energy, Ben Ingram lost his LL match today in Rundle C Frontier. I'm sure he's pretty broken up about it.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

Well, there's my first 6(5)-9(5) loss...

Although I did nail the great 5 right and 1 BWA (CHUD), so there's that.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
TheyCallMeMrKid

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Won 6(4)-4(3) over dhkendall yesterday. Got lucky with the questions: heavy on pop culture, light on most of my weak categories. But my poor opponent: My two best categories (sports and pop music) were the 2 questions I missed, and two of my worst categories (world history, food/drink) were ones I got right. Surprised he defended as well as he did.

Recognized 2 words in the food question: gratin dauphinois, but only knew the translation of gratin. Initially couldn't remember the context where I had heard of dauphinois. Almost went with cheese, then remembered that I had heard of dauphinois potatoes, and decided to go with that.

Was pretty sure of Seinfeld, would've guessed the first one was I Love Lucy, but would've guessed The Beverly Hillbillies for the 60's one. Can't believe that the MCW was M*A*S*H. The dates are totally wrong.

Sugarcubes was a head-slapper; a name I easily recognized after the reveal. Ask me who was the lead singer of The Sugarcubes before going solo and I probably would've gotten it. I got stuck on trying to pull out a translation instead of working harder to try to remember Bjork's former band. When that yielded no good result, tried to go for a BWA with a phonetic translation of Sykurmolarnir of "stick your molars in here".
Sheepin' it real.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I got 5 out of 6 correct for the third time in a row, and finally that resulted in a win for me!

I won 8(5)-7(5), whereas in my two previous matches I lost 7(5)-8(5) and 7(5)-9(6).

Along with about one out of six LLers, I said "Argentina" for the soccer one. I had no idea, but I knew that Argentina is a Spanish-speaking country that made it to the final and hence played more games.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

I blew the TV one by being Pavlovian and NOT RTFQ properly:

"High-rated 1960's TV finale" is The Fugitive, so there it is. I don't blame my opponent for giving me a 0 on this, but I can hear him screaming all the way from Astoria over the 9(5)-9(6) tie.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
bengland
Jeopardy! Toker

Post by bengland »

In a nail biter where we both try to avoid the relegation zone, Kirk and I both got the same 4 right, missing Alexander and Colombia. But perfect defense leads to a 1 point win for Kirk. Well played!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was nightmare week for me. I opened the season 2-3, but went 0-5 this week and dropped to last place in my rundle. The questions just did not go my way at all. Maybe I need a new hobby.