Friday, November 22, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, November 22, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6715, 2013-11-22

2013 Teachers Tournament final game 2.

CONTESTANTS
John Pearson, a math teacher from Richardson, Texas (subtotal of $15,200)
Becky Giardina, a social studies teacher from Martinez, Georgia (subtotal of $0)
Mary Beth Hammerstrom, a social studies teacher from Anchorage, Alaska (subtotal of $11,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. And welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to what Johnny just mentioned is the deciding game In this year's Teachers Tournament.
Now, I'm going to say something as a bit of encouragement to you, Becky, and I've said this when the situation applies throughout the years, and that is that a player who is in a distant third position on the first day quite often comes back on day two to win it all.
Ladies and gentlemen, you can see the scores. We're going to get rid of them now. We will remember them and add them to today's total to determine our champion.
Good luck.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GEOGRAPHY CLASS (5/5)
STAR BUCKS (5/5)
TIME"LY" WORDS (4/5)
THE KOREAN WAR (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
USER NAME (4/5)
PASSWORD (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Becky: 7 R, 0 W
Mary Beth: 6 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mary Beth found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Mary Beth had $1,800, Becky had $1,200, and John was at $800. Mary Beth wagered $800.

THE KOREAN WAR $800: "War's End Near" said a jubilant U.S. headline on the capture of this metropolis October 19, 1950
Mary Beth: What is Saigon?

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Becky: $1,400
John: $1,200
Mary Beth: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Invariably, whenever we do one of our Teachers Tournaments --and this is our fourth one --somebody in the studio audience will ask me, "Alex, do you have a teacher in your past that was very special to you?" Well, I want to turn the tables on our teachers, our finalists today. We know that all our contestants in the tournaments are very bright, but was there any student who stood out and made you feel, "darn, I'm glad I became a teacher"?
John: Well, there have been several of those, several in the opposite direction, as well.
Alex: Uh-oh.
John: But just in 11 years of teaching, I mean, just a lot of great, unique kids, so many so that they've given me lots of good stories, funny stories, inspirational stories. and I decided to put them together in a book In my early years of teaching, called "Learn Me Good." And it's just kind of a funny, fictionalized version --I've changed the names, of course, but a lot of just the funny things they've said, funny things they've done, as well as just the really awe-inspiring things, as well.
Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Becky, what about you?
Becky: I have one student who really stands out because he's probably the smartest student I have ever seen. He knew the answers before I even asked the questions, and I do believe you'll see him one day on "Jeopardy!"
Alex: Really?
Becky: Yes.
Alex: Okay. Good.

Alex: Mary Beth, now, do these kinds of students make you guys better teachers? Certainly makes you more appreciative, I would think, but what about being a better teacher?
Mary Beth: I try to be a better teacher every day for all of my students, and to pick just one out of the group would be impossible. I teach at a school with a fabulous staff and amazing kids, and I --no one will ever make me happy to get out of bed in the morning, but I love going to my job every day.
Alex: Okay. Good for you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PASSWORD $200: One of the earliest accounts of the use of passwords is by Polybius, describing their use by this army around 150 B.C.
John: What is the Spartan army?
Mary Beth: What's the Athenian army?

THE KOREAN WAR $1000: Protecting hydropower on this river was one reason China crossed it and entered the war in late 1950.
Mary Beth: What is the Yellow River?

TIME"LY" WORDS $1000: It can mean "soon" or "in a rude or curt manner"

USER NAME $1000: Man was no longer the one tool-using animal when in 1960 a chimp named David was observed using twigs to fish for these to snack on
John: What are ants?
Alex: Ants? We'll accept that. [*] also.

[John's response was ruled incorrect at the start of the Double Jeopardy! round. Alex explained that they were going for [*] or white ants, but "ants" was not acceptable.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
John: $4,800
Becky: $4,000
Mary Beth: $1,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, November 22, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LITERARY OPENINGS (5/5)
EARTH BLANKS (5/5)
AP FEMALE ATHLETE OF THE YEAR (4/5)
THE SHORT VERSION (5/5)
ANATOMY (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE GUGGENHEIM MUSEUM (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Jimmy: The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York, where even the building is a work of art.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 16 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Mary Beth: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Becky: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
John snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Mary Beth had $1,600, Becky had $4,400, and John was at $13,200. John wagered $3,000.

ANATOMY $1600: Your tear glands are an example of this type of gland that secretes fluid through a duct & not directly into the bloodstream
(John: What is a sebaceous gland?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Mary Beth who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Mary Beth had $4,000, Becky had $8,000, and John was at $18,200. Mary Beth wagered $2,000.

THE GUGGENHEIM MUSEUM $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Guggenheim Museum in New York.) Jean Arp turned to abstraction
As a founding member
of this movement
That rejected traditional
values and embraced chance,
Even in how its name
was supposedly chosen randomly
From the dictionary

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AP FEMALE ATHLETE OF THE YEAR $2000: 1951, 1952, 1953:
this tennis great nicknamed "Little Mo"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
John: $18,200 (lock tournament)
Mary Beth: $10,800
Becky: $8,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COUNTRY NAMES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
John: Wager $3,401 to cover Mary Beth.
Mary Beth: You have the hope of surpassing John if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $7,401 to force John to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Becky.
Becky: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $7,998 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In England in 1933, Choudhry Rahmat Ali coined this name, a country that wouldn't be formed until 14 years later

FINAL SCORES
Becky: $8,000 - $8,000 = $0 (What is Israel?) (2nd runner-up)
Mary Beth: $10,800 + $10,800 = $21,600 = $32,600 cumulative (What is Pakistan?) (1st runner-up)
John: $18,200 - $0 = $18,200 = $33,400 cumulative (What is I love you drew!) (Tournament champion)
(Alex: You're all pretty good at math, so all you had to do is figure out a country that came into being in 1947.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
John: $21,200, 28 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Mary Beth: $10,400, 14 R (including 1 DD), 6 W (including 1 DD)
Becky: $8,000, 11 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $39,600

BATTING AVERAGES
John: 28/59 = .475
Mary Beth: 15/60 = .250
Becky: 11/58 = .190
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
PASSWORD $400: "Open Sesame!" cried this man, & the hidden cave of the 40 thieves opened to him
(Mary Beth: Who is Aladdin?)

THE GUGGENHEIM MUSEUM $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Guggenheim Museum in New York.) Wanting to get away
From the typical rectangular
art gallery,
this architect designed
the Solomon R. Guggenheim
Museum
as a spiral that recalled
a nautilus shell

LITERARY OPENINGS $2000: Gibson:
"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel"
(Alex: Well done.
You've done
a lot of reading,
And it's paid off for you
in this round.)
[applause for running the category]

THE SHORT VERSION $1600: On the clock in Colorado:
MDT
(Mary Beth: What is Mountain Daily Time?)

AP FEMALE ATHLETE OF THE YEAR $800: 2012:
this African-American gymnast
(Mary Beth: Who is Dawes?)

AP FEMALE ATHLETE OF THE YEAR $1600: 1932, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950 & 1954:
her
(John: Who is Babe Didrik Zaharrison?)

THE GUGGENHEIM MUSEUM $1200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Guggenheim Museum in New York.) In 1932, Marcel Duchamp
coined the name "mobile"
for this man's work,
which constantly moves,
changing its composition

THE GUGGENHEIM MUSEUM $1600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Guggenheim Museum in New York.) One of the first purely
abstract painters,
This Russian artist used lines,
colors, and shapes
As a visible language,
much like
the language of music,
to evoke emotions

THE GUGGENHEIM MUSEUM $2000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Guggenheim Museum in New York.) Believing in an underlying
mathematical structure
of the universe,
This Dutch painter
tried to replicate
The harmony of the cosmos,
using just straight lines,
right angles, primary colors,
and black and white

CORRECT RESPONSES
Pyongyang
Roman
Yalu River
shortly
termites
an exocrine gland
Dada
Maureen Connolly
Pakistan
Ali Baba
Frank Lloyd Wright
Neuromancer
Mountain Daylight Time
Gabby Douglas
Babe Didrikson
(Alexander) Calder
Kandinsky
(Piet) Mondrian
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Something happened to the bot today, and I don't have the tools available at the moment to fix it. I'll get to it as soon as I can.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Country Names

In England in 1933, Choudhry Rahmat Ali coined this name for a country that wouldn't be formed until 14 years later.
Spoiler
What is Pakistan? Becky said Israel and John wrote down "I love you, Drew".
Scores for first day of two day finals
Mary Beth Hammerstrom: $16,000-$5,000=$11,000
John Pearson: $8,600+$6,600=$15,200
Becky Giardina: $5,000-$5,000=$0

Today's scores
Becky: $8,000-$8,000=$0
Mary Beth:$10,800+$10,800=$21,600
John:$18,200-$0=$18,200

Cumulative Scores
John: $15,200+$18,200=$33,400.....wins $100,000 for first place
Mary Beth: $11,000+$21,600=$32,600......wins $50,000 for second place
Becky: $$0+$0=$0.....wins $25,000 for third place

Can we comment in this thread? I just wanted to be the first to say how horrible Mary Beth's late DD wager was.
Last edited by Bamaman on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So that's how many seconds are in an hour. Honestly never knew that. Also never heard of "shortly" in the "curtly" context before.

Wasn't at all confident on Korean War or Art, so I clammed three right answers in each.

Me on Literary Openings for $1600. "King? What author is named King?… Oh duh."

Any suggestion on keeping atrium/ventricle straight?

Human Resources was my only miss in Short Version.

0/5 on FJ!s this week.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Saigon in Korea in 1950? Wow. Then couldn't believe nobody made the leap from Yellow to Yalu, but they probably hadn't heard of it.

Mary Beth continued her incredibly weak DD wagering sealing her own fate late in DJ. I guess we don't know for certain, but I'd bet that if she had any wagering clue whatsoever, she would be the champ. Just dreadful.

Overall I thought the teachers displayed a good knowledge base, but less than zero game play strategy.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Well, that is the 2nd Teacher's Tourney I called the winner in my book upon their QF match. (Colby Burnett and John Pearson). I'm not however convinced he'll do as excellent in the TOC, but major props to him are in order.

Also, I've noticed, especially during this tournament, that the "We'll be back with Final Jeopardy! right after this!" plug is back sporadically. Any reason why they brought it back after originally dumping it?
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:Also, I've noticed, especially during this tournament, that the "We'll be back with Final Jeopardy! right after this!" plug is back sporadically. Any reason why they brought it back after originally dumping it?
I noticed that too. I thought they usually did it when the game ran short, but I swear it happened at least once on a game where some clues were left on the board.
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

DO you think John knew FJ! or knew he had a lock and put I Love You Drew because he could afford to? If not, then Mary Beth would have won with a wager of $801 more on the second DD in DJ!.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Yeah, I hadn't minded Mary Beth's small DD wagers, but in this game they were just bad. I wish that we knew whether or not John knew FJ, so we can know if the $2000 wager (when she could have wagered up to $4000) cost her the tournament. I am guessing that John knew FJ, though.

I found the J! round harder than the DJ! round. The Atlas mountains clue at $800 and the Yalu River clue at $1000 were both tough, in my opinion.

I guessed Bangladesh for FJ. For some reason I thought that Pakistan had become independent before 1947.

Even with his get on yesterday's FJ, I can't see John being anything but bronze for the ToC. When the material got harder in the second week of this tournament, Mary Beth was really the only one who looked impressive on it. Unfortunately, her strategy wasn't as strong as her knowledge base.
Last edited by StevenH on Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Yalu was one of the ones I clammed on, since I was looking through old threads and remembered someone mentioning Yellow/Yalu coming up before.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

From Wikipedia on the origin of the name Pakistan:
The name Pakistan literally means "Land of the Pure" in Urdu and Persian. It was coined in 1933 as Pakstan by Choudhary Rahmat Ali, a Pakistan Movement activist, who published it in his pamphlet Now or Never, using it as an acronym ("thirty million Muslim brethren who live in PAKSTAN") referring to the names of the five northern regions of the British Raj: Punjab, North-West Frontier Province (Afghania Province), Kashmir, Sindh, and Baluchistan". The letter i was incorporated to ease pronunciation and form the linguistically correct and meaningful name.
I first heard about it a British television series about Louis Mountbatten as the last Viceroy of India in the final days before independence.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

StevenH....you may want to edit your comment spoiling yesterday's FJ.

I had United Arab Emirates for FJ.

Way behind on the second day and you hit a late DD? No reason not to go all in. She wound up losing by $800, so all she need was another $400 going into FJ to force a tie. I can see not wanting to drop all the way to zero, but she needed to bet more than just $2,000 when she had twice that, like maybe $3,999.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Bamaman wrote:I can see not wanting to drop all the way to zero
What difference does it make? This is the kind of thinking that just gives away x% winning chances.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I thought one clue was very touching, given what happened 50 years ago today.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Bamaman wrote:I thought one clue was very touching, given what happened 50 years ago today.
The Huxley/Brave New WOrld clue was it? Aldous Huxley and CS Lewis both bucket kicked on 11/22/63
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Lewis got a mention (I think it was) yesterday in the Before & After category.
scaphio
Contributor

Post by scaphio »

Bamaman wrote:I thought one clue was very touching, given what happened 50 years ago today.
Do you mean the death of Aldous Huxley?
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

Congratulations to John! If you're out there, John, I hope you'll join the discussion and let us know whether you actually knew FJ. Otherwise, it will be the source of endless speculation on this board.

Either way, after a tournament filled with questionable wagers, it was refreshing that you had done the math and recognized you already had it locked up.

Also, I thought Philemon was a good get. Those three-letter abbreviations for the books of the Bible don't seem to be well-known.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I felt a strange disturbance in the J!Force, as if millions of Vermonters cried out in agonized disbelief and were asked to leave the gym.