Wednesday, November 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6718, 2013-11-27

CONTESTANTS
John Kyle Grady, a substitute teacher originally from Hyde Park, Massachusetts
Shanna Lafferty, a law student from Boyertown, Pennsylvania
Mike Nickel, a social worker from St. Louis, Missouri (whose 1-day cash winnings total $29,210)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Okay, thank you, Johnny. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome. Our champion, Mike, started off slowly yesterday, but then found his game in Double jeopardy! and wound up coming up with the correct response in final that took him up to close to $30,000 in winnings. Shanna and John, welcome aboard. Nice to have you here. Pick up the signaling devices. Hopefully you'll get to use them often in this first round of play with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
JOKERS ARE WILD (5/5)
I'M HOLDING A PAIR (5/5)
FULL HOUSE TAKES IT (5/5)
FAR SOUTHERN NOVELS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
PAPAL NAMES (3/5)
ALSO A 2-LETTER POSTAL ABBREVIATION (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mike: 14 R, 2 W
John: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Shanna: 3 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Mike: $5,400
John: $2,600
Shanna: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Doug Flutie, among other things, is famous in college football for a Hail Mary pass that was completed. But our first challenger introduced on the program today, John Kyle Grady, can claim to be famous because he once intercepted a Doug Flutie pass. What were the circumstances?

John: Yeah, I was 16, and a bunch of my friends and I were playing touch football in the parking lot of a Patriots game. And Doug came trotting through the parking lot. He was gonna get something out of his car. And my friend Scott tossed him the ball, and Doug threw a 50-yard spiral. It was heading right for my friend John. And I said, "I'm getting that ball," so I, you know, full sprint, I dove. I caught the ball, cut my elbow, ripped my jacket, but I came up with that ball.

Alex: And what was Doug Flutie's reaction?

John: He didn't care. He just threw that spiral and just headed out. He didn't look to see if it was completed or not.

Alex: Oh, okay.

Alex: All right, Shanna Lafferty is a law student from Pennsylvania. We don't often hear about service clubs nowadays, like the Lions Club, the Kiwanis, the Rotary. But you have a connection with the Rotary Club. What was that?

Shanna: I do. I was a Rotary exchange student to Japan. I was there for a year, and I lived in Saitama, which is about a half an hour north of Tokyo.

Alex: Now, how do they select the students for this program? Is it based on your academic achievements? Is it based on your community work, what?

Shanna: It's definitely based on academics, but it's more just your whole all-around personality, whether they think you'll be a good fit. There's a long interview process.

Alex: Okay. So, you are a positive in that area.

Alex: Mike Nickel is our champion. He is a social worker who works primarily with...?

Mike: The elderly and disabled.

Alex: Where? In St. Louis?

Mike: In St. Louis, yes.

Alex: How long have you been doing this?

Mike: My entire career since I've been out of school --about 35 years.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Mike: Thank you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Shanna found the Daily Double on the 27th clue. Mike had $6,600, Shanna had $1,400, and John was at $4,200. Shanna wagered $1,000.

FAR SOUTHERN NOVELS $800: Beryl Bainbridge's "Birthday Boys" fetes this explorer's fatal 1912 expedition to the South Pole
(Shanna: Who is...Peary?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FAR SOUTHERN NOVELS $600: Clive Cussler's "Atlantis Found" finds this protagonist--no relation to Brad--in Antarctica
(Mike: Who is Pitt?)
(Alex: No. Be more specific, though.)
(Mike: [no response])

PAPAL NAMES $800: The last pope with this name from Latin for "good-doer" died in 1404
(Shanna: What is Pius?)

PAPAL NAMES $1000: Reigning from 1471 to 1484, the fourth pope of this name had a certain chapel built
(John: What is Sistine?)
(Alex: Sistine is the chapel he had built, but the pope's name is [*].)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Mike: $7,600
John: $3,200
Shanna: -$400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
REMEMBER 1791? (4/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"B" GOOD (3/5)
ENRAPTURED WITH RAPTORS (5/5)
SEQUELS (5/5)
EDUCATION (3/3, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SOUND GEOGRAPHY (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 11 R, 0 W
Shanna: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 0 W
Mike: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Shanna snagged the next Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Mike had $12,000, Shanna had $7,600, and John was at $12,400. Shanna wagered $5,000.

REMEMBER 1791? $1600: In August the Treaty of Sistova ended war between the Hapsburgs & this empire to the east

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Shanna who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Mike had $12,000, Shanna had $14,200, and John was at $13,600. Shanna wagered $200.

EDUCATION $2000: This New Jersey-based organization says it's the world's largest provider of scholarships to young women

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"B" GOOD $1200: Also called the ward, it's the courtyard of the castle & usually pairs with "motte"

"B" GOOD $2000: Life is good at this tree seen here
(Alex: It's not a bodhi tree. It's a [*] tree. "Life is good
at the beach"? Eh.)
[Laughter]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
John: $16,000
Shanna: $14,400
Mike: $12,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GOVERNMENT PROGRAMS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
John: Wager $12,801 to cover Shanna.
Shanna: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Mike, hoping that you give the correct response and John doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $9,601 to cover Mike's doubled score, but no more than $11,200 if you want to top John on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $2,399 and win if both John and Mike miss Final.
Mike: You ought to try wagering between $2,401 and $7,200. This will top a $0 wager by Shanna while still beating John and Shanna on the Triple Stumper (should John wager to cover Shanna's doubled score and Shanna wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Over 8,000 people have been saved from harm by this program authorized in a 1970 law, but we're not allowed to name any

FINAL SCORES
Mike: $12,000 - $11,950 = $50 (What is the witness relocation program) (3rd place: $1,000)
Shanna: $14,400 - $0 = $14,400 (What is the CIA?) (2nd place: $2,000)
John: $16,000 + $12,801 = $28,801 (What is the witness protction program) (New champion: $28,801)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
John: $16,000, 20 R, 1 W
Shanna: $13,800, 13 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Mike: $12,000, 18 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $41,800

BATTING AVERAGES
John: 21/58 = .362
Mike: 18/58 = .310
Shanna: 13/61 = .213
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ALSO A 2-LETTER POSTAL ABBREVIATION $1000: William James Mayo got his in 1883
(Alex: [*] -- think
of the Mayo Clinic. Right.)

FULL HOUSE TAKES IT $1000: It's the word for the kind of post seen here

I'M HOLDING A PAIR $1000: In 1877 these 2 moons of Mars got their names from words denoting fear & terror
(Mike: What are Phobos & Deimios?)

ENRAPTURED WITH RAPTORS $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Sitka Raptor Center in Alaska.) The great gray owl has acute hearing, due in part to its enormous facial disk that acts like one of these receivers, trapping & concentrating sounds, allowing it to hear prey that's a foot beneath the snow
(Mike: What is a radar receiver?)

ENRAPTURED WITH RAPTORS $800: A toy on a string was named after this bird of prey because it hovers in the air in the same way
(John: What is...[*]?)
(Alex: Yes! Way to go. You pulled that out of thin air.)

ENRAPTURED WITH RAPTORS $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Sitka Raptor Center in Alaska.) The bald eagle has made a remarkable recovery from the ravages of this now-banned pesticide, which caused affected birds to lay thin-shelled eggs, producing fewer young

ENRAPTURED WITH RAPTORS $2000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Sitka Raptor Center in Alaska.) Peregrine falcons are not only fast, they also have great eyesight, which might be why the ancient Egyptians depicted this sky god as having the eye of a peregrine falcon, used as a motif to represent the all-seeing eye

EDUCATION $1600: This test was developed in 1926 by Carl Campbell Brigham for the College Entrance Examination Board
(Alex: Yes, with less than
a minute to go.)

REMEMBER 1791? $2000: After New York gave up claims to its territory, on March 4 it joined the Union as the 14th state
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Robert Falcon Scott
Dirk Pitt
Boniface
Sixtus
the Ottoman Empire
the Miss America Organization (the Miss American Pageant accepted)
bailey
beech
the Witness Protection Program
M.D.
a newel post
Phobos & Deimos
antenna (a satellite accepted)
a kite
DDT
Horus
the SAT
Vermont
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

From the 11/12/13 discussion:
TPH wrote:What was supposed to lead to NZ on Volcano for $400?
AnyRandomBoardie wrote:North Island.
AnotherRandomBoardie wrote:That's what did it for me. Country + "North Island" (or "South Island") is Pavlov for NZ.
TPH wrote:Wow, I must not have been looking at the maps too closely. I always thought NZ was only one island.
Odds that TPH now clams on South Island?

Interesting that the lady wagered nothing in FJ after hunting for DD's and wagering big.

And I suppose Facebook will now light up like a Christmas tree saying Witness Relocation Program should have been accepted because it's obvious he knew the answer.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Golf wrote:Odds that TPH now clams on South Island?
100%
Golf wrote:And I suppose Facebook will now light up like a Christmas tree saying Witness Relocation Program should have been accepted because it's obvious he knew the answer.
Probably, but it's Witness Protection, Witness Security, or WITSEC.
wallzy41
Seeking Degree in Jeopardy!

Post by wallzy41 »

Seen and discussed in yesterday's discussion: Loop is accepted most places, but not in "this sense".

Therefore, Relocation =/= Protection. Not being able to name -> Anonymity -> Protection, not relocation.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

wallzy41 wrote:Seen and discussed in yesterday's discussion: Loop is accepted most places, but not in "this sense".

Therefore, Relocation =/= Protection. Not being able to name -> Anonymity -> Protection, not relocation.
That and many in the program aren't relocated (prisoners, for example).
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was an excellent game, at least in the DJ round. The female contestant made one heck of a comeback.

I liked this board but found it to be on the easy side. And that was fine, since it made for a great battle between the three contestants.

Unfortunately, The second and third place FJ wagers hurt the thrill of watching this game. If the second place player didn't want to wager to cover the champ then she should have at least wagered $1 less than the difference between their scores. Also, I had absolutely no guess on FJ. This one was a forehead slapper.

I realized while watching this game that Mike reminds me of Dan Melia, with a cool mustache.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

I'm going to object to accepting "satellite" for the ears of an owl. Yes, many satellites have a dish antenna, but not all of them, especially natural ones like Phobos and Deimos.

Is TPH engaging in holiday activity? He's usually checked in by now.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

silverscreentest wrote:I'm going to object to accepting "satellite" for the ears of an owl. Yes, many satellites have a dish antenna, but not all of them, especially natural ones like Phobos and Deimos.
Yeah, I was a bit surprised at that, too.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

silverscreentest wrote:I'm going to object to accepting "satellite" for the ears of an owl. Yes, many satellites have a dish antenna, but not all of them, especially natural ones like Phobos and Deimos.

Is TPH engaging in holiday activity? He's usually checked in by now.
I agree. In some ways Mike's response of radar receiver is better, though also wrong because of the radar part.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote:
Interesting that the lady wagered nothing in FJ after hunting for DD's and wagering big.
Her second DD bet wasn't very big. Not surprised she bet small in FJ.

With the others' MSBIW scores so low, Mike could afford to bet big, but not that big.

Good job by John to take what seemed to be a guess on the last clue to give him the lead.

FJ took a few seconds, but clicked in right away. Tough break for Mike, but he has $30,010 to console himself.

I was pretty sure there's never been a Pope Sistine, but that was nasty negbait going out of their way to avoid saying the chapel's name. Is Sistine a derivative of Sixtus?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Bamaman wrote:Tough break for Mike, but he has $30,010 to console himself.
Not that tough, though. After all, even had he been credited, it wouldn't have mattered. He loses either way! (Well, I guess he also loses $1,000.)
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

Bamaman wrote:With the others' MSBIW scores so low, Mike could afford to bet big, but not that big.
Had it been a triple stumper, and had Shanna wagered to cover Mike, Mike's oversized bet would have cost him the game.
Bamaman wrote:I was pretty sure there's never been a Pope Sistine, but that was nasty negbait going out of their way to avoid saying the chapel's name. Is Sistine a derivative of Sixtus?
I briefly considered Sistine but was pretty sure that wasn't a Papal Name, and the placement in the bottom box caused me to suspect it wouldn't be that simple.
debramc wrote:I agree. In some ways Mike's response of radar receiver is better, though also wrong because of the radar part.
I said SONAR, but I'm pretty sure that's just as wrong as RADAR.

I also said Witness Relocation Program for FJ. I was probably thinking of the classic episode of The Simpsons when they start receiving death threats from Sideshow Bob.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Paucle wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Tough break for Mike, but he has $30,010 to console himself.
Not that tough, though. After all, even had he been credited, it wouldn't have mattered. He loses either way! (Well, I guess he also loses $1,000.)
I know it didn't matter, I just hate seeing people have the right idea, but just make a minor misstep and get counted wrong. (I don't think he should have been given credit for it, just saying).
BigDaddyJ wrote:
Bamaman wrote:With the others' MSBIW scores so low, Mike could afford to bet big, but not that big.
Had it been a triple stumper, and had Shanna wagered to cover Mike, Mike's oversized bet would have cost him the game.
I know, but he could have still made a sizable bet. I had an inkling she would bet small and definitely have bet enough to get ahead of her.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

Bamaman wrote:I know, but he could have still made a sizable bet. I had an inkling she would bet small and definitely have bet enough to get ahead of her.
True. I put him down for as much as $7200 if he liked the category since that would increase his winnings on a sole get and still leave him with a win on a triple stumper, in both cases assuming 1st bet to cover 2nd and 2nd bet to cover 3rd.
wallzy41
Seeking Degree in Jeopardy!

Post by wallzy41 »

The facebook page is abuzz right now... saying he wrote "Witness protction"... I didn't notice it on either runs I've watched tonight.

Edit: Indeed he did. His handwriting looked like he was having trouble with the tablet/pen.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Mike works in social services, so maybe he felt good about the category "Government agencies".
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

There's more than one type of couch?!

Ran Pair. For some reason, I can only ever seem to remember Phobos, but I managed to pull Deimos this time.

In Novels, I actually read A Wrinkle in Time in fourth grade, but got it and The Giver mixed up and said Lowry.

Postal was 3/5. Couldn't pull any two-letter weapons, and NHO the guy at $1000.

Misread Geography for $1200 and couldn't realize in time that they just wanted "Land of Fire" translated. I went 0/5 there.
Golf wrote:Odds that TPH now clams on South Island?
Even worse, I didn't see "South Island" in the clue.

Had four of the five in Raptors (all but $2000), but clammed on all four since I wasn't certain enough.

Clammed on SAT because it seemed overvalued at $1600.

4/27 in DJ!, net gain of only $400 because I negged with Banyan on "B" for $2000. "Bionic" was on the tip of my tongue, but I couldn't get past "bio… bio…" in time. I think "cybernetic" was blocking the path for me.

====

I got as far as "Oh, that program that changes your name" and hit a brick wall.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf's opening post was hilarious.

How many times did John point at the board for his next selection? Drink up.

The FJ! category was nothing but trouble and the clue was no better. I was left with two choices equally wrong and I wrote Amnesty International instead of Alcoholics Anonymous to avoid a blank response. I don't know what I even needed in the wording to help. The problem was all mine.

Here's what John wrote, have at it.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:Here's what John wrote, have at it.
Doesn't change the pronunciation (pro-tk-shun); I'm good with it.