Think Different 172: General Knowledge

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Think Different 172: General Knowledge

Post by Bamaman »

Sherm wrote:
Kramer vs. Kramer (Won 4/5, No Actress, both Streep and Alexander for best supporting)-
Has there been another situation where someone playing a title character was nominated for a supporting role?
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

Bamaman wrote:
Sherm wrote:
Kramer vs. Kramer (Won 4/5, No Actress, both Streep and Alexander for best supporting)-
Has there been another situation where someone playing a title character was nominated for a supporting role?
Looking on Wikipedia (!), I found four or five:
Dyan Cannon for Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice as Alice Henderson
Vanessa Redgrave for Julia as Julia
Dianne Wiest for Hannah and Her Sisters as sister Holly
Rachel Griffiths for Hilary and Jackie as Hilary du Pré
and I think Abigail Breslin in Little Miss Sunshine as Olive Hoover qualifies as well.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:I knew American Beauty, Cuckoo's Nest and Lambs as the sure shots. I thought Lambs would be a big sheep and went away from it even though it's my favorite of the three by a wide mile. No one had it? These games always have surprises.
Ditto.
esrever
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by esrever »

Sherm wrote: Correct answers unused
Charles Evans Hughes
The November 18 FJ! clue had Charles Evans Hughes' name in it. I wonder if that's why no one chose him for their answer. (That's why I did not.)
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

I was surprised at the number of people that bypassed this. I’m assuming everyone thought Rutter was going to get a lot of points and just didn't feel sure enough to go with anyone else.

14. ) With the most recent jeopardy Tournament of Champions, Colby Burnett, Keith Whitener and Kristin Morgan all got to play 4 games of jeopardy after their original run on the show. Both Burnett and Whitener are going to get a chance to play in more games with the 30th anniversary tourney sometime this coming year. Name a person that has played at least 8 games of jeopardy after their original run of games on the show. (13 correct answers)

7 points COSHEEP - Brad Rutter (17 )
gamawire, wallzy41, Sillymonkey, jeffwolfe , dhkendall, ihavejeoprosy, debramc

7 points COSHEEP - Frank Spangenberg (11)
PowerofHoodoo , Turd Ferguson, Milpool, jkbrat, Bamaman, Lumosityfan, goforthetie

3 points - Bob Verini (12)
Vermonter, CyrusChan, Woof

3 points - Bob Harris (8)
ElendilPickle, waterloo_guy, immaf

2 points - Jerome Vered (12)
This Is Kirk!, econgator

Singleton - Dave Traini (9)
MarkBarrett

14 points - Incorrect
Ken Jenning (5) – geolawyerman, Magna, esrever
Roger Craig (4) - Creed Bratton
Sean Connery (0) – Miwasatoshi

7 points - SHEEP
Leander

0 points - PASS
Rackme32, Woppy T, tjconn728, RandyG, kettledrum

Correct answers unused
Eric Newhouse (11)
Michael Daunt (10)
Robin Carroll (9)
Tom Nosek (8)
Chuck Forrest (8)
Leslie Frates (8)
Eugene Finerman (8)
Last edited by Sherm on Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I puzzled and puzzled until my puzzler was sore on the J! champs. All 13 came to me and I liked Dave Traini as the best bet to be alone. I was working too hard with all the names unused.

If you lose your first game is that considered an end to a regular run of games? Both India Cooper and Claudia Perry were defeated in their initial appearances and were brought back to have greater success. Yes, I understood the question meant after all regular games, so I did not try either of them.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote:I puzzled and puzzled until my puzzler was sore on the J! champs. All 13 came to me and I liked Dave Traini as the best bet to be alone. I was working too hard with all the names unused.

If you lose your first game is that considered an end to a regular run of games? Both India Cooper and Claudia Perry were defeated in their initial appearances and were brought back to have greater success. Yes, I understood the question meant after all regular games, so I did not try either of them.
If you lose due to some sort of error on the part of the show and come back, I'd consider that still to be a regular game. I took the question to mean any type of special invitational tournament, such as the TOC, Super Jeopardy, UTOC or any other reunion type episodes.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Bamaman wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I puzzled and puzzled until my puzzler was sore on the J! champs. All 13 came to me and I liked Dave Traini as the best bet to be alone. I was working too hard with all the names unused.

If you lose due to some sort of error on the part of the show and come back, I'd consider that still to be a regular game. I took the question to mean any type of special invitational tournament, such as the TOC, Super Jeopardy, UTOC or any other reunion type episodes.
Bamaman, you've got it nailed. These answers all came from the Jarchive, which does not have all regular games once you go past 1996, but it does have all the ToC games and the special tournies. At least they have all the ones of know of. Eric Newhouse, picked up two games for a teen reunion tourny that he won. 12 players, each played in one game and 3 of the top 4 scores advanced to a final. How goofy is that?

It was the one question that I had some concerns that I might not have all the correct answers up front, but I figured if someone came up with an answer that was really off of the beaten path, I could look it up. I actually looked them up with a cutoff of 7 games or more then dropped the people that only played in seven. This is that list.

Bob Blake
Dan Melia
Bev Schwartzberg
Chris Miller
John Cuthbertson
Pam Mueller

It gave me an answer to mujasons (TD168) quiz that I would have never got otherwise. I was working on this question the day before his quiz came out, and he asked to name a correct answer from the final jeopardy of from a ToC, if it wasn't for this question. I would not have been able to answer it.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

15.) In 2000, ESPN named the top 100 athletes of the 20th century. Name one of the top 15 athletes on the list.

8 points - Babe Didrikson Zaharias
Miwasatoshi, geolawyerman, gamawire, CyrusChan, PowerofHoodoo, tjconn728, Creed Bratton, ihavejeoprosy

5 points - Jim Thorpe
Magna, Leander, Woppy T, Turd Ferguson, Milpool

4 points - Wayne Gretzky
wallzy41, This Is Kirk!, jeffwolfe, Lumosityfan

2 points - Babe Ruth
Vermonter, esrever

2 points - - Jim Brown
econgator, goforthetie

2 points Micheal Jordan
dhkendall, immaf

2 points - Willie Mays
Rackme32, Woof

Singleton - Ali
Sillymonkey

Singleton - Jesse Owens
MarkBarrett

Singleton - Jack Nicklaus
kettledrum

Singleton - Joe Louis
Bamaman

Singleton - Carl Lewis
debramc

Singleton - Hank Aaron
waterloo_guy

Incorrect
Ty Cobb(20th) - RandyG
Gordie Howe (21st) – jkbrat
Mariano Rivera – ElendilPickle

Correct answers unused
Wilt Chamberlain
Jackie Robinson
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

I was surprised that so many people got this right. You guys know your horses.

Bonus #5 - There were 3 non-humans that made the top 100 list. Secretariat finished number 35. Name one of the other two non-humans on the list?

Man O War - 84
Miwasatoshi, Magna, Vermonter, Rackme32, MarkBarrett, PowerofHoodoo, Woppy T, Turd Ferguson, This Is Kirk!, Econgator, jeffwolfe , waterloo_guy, Creed Bratton, Woof, Bamaman, goforthetie
Citation - 97
wallzy41, Milpool

End of Quiz bonus(submitting a correct answer to all question) ended up being 4 points as the SHEEP answers to both questions 4 and 12 both were 4 points.
gamawire
wallzy41
gofortie
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Final Results - people with an asterisk got the 4 point bonus

34th through 16th place
136 jkbrat
105 ElendilPickle
103 jeffwolfe
102 dhkendall
97 Milpool
95 Rackme32
90 immaf
86 Creed Bratton
85 Sillymonkey
85 Turd Ferguson
83 tjconn728
83 Leander
81 Vermonter
80 geolawyerman
78 Lumosityfan
76 Bamaman
75 econgator
75 PowerofHoodoo
70 debramc

You guys all get a lump of coal in your stocking, and if I knew how to paste a picture, it would be a lump of coal.

15th through 6th place
68 esrever
68 Magna
67 Woppy T
67 This Is Kirk!
66 gamawire*
65 waterloo_guy
64 kettledrum
61 Woof
61 ihavejeoprosy

You guys all get several lumps of coal in your stocking, and if I knew how to paste a picture, it would be several lumps of coal.

5th through 3rd place
59 CyrusChan
59 Miwasatoshi
58 RandyG

I was going to send you three candy, but my 8 year old ate it, so I have the wrappers, you want them, please send a self addressed stamped envelope.

3rd place
52 wallzy41*
You get an IUP Redhawks Sweatshirt, which all you have to do to get it is find my son and steal his, since he attends IUP.

2nd place
51 MarkBarrett
For closing with three singletons, and jumping from 9th place to 2nd place you get a green Kazoo in your stocking. Of course, I don't know how you are going to get that little guy from "The Flinstones" to stay in your stocking.

TD 172 winner
39 goforthetie*
I promised a cookie to the winner, but ate it while preparing the final results. You are going to have to settle for the world wide recognition that this board gives to many of the geeks across the planet.

Final Special recognition Award goes to
Miwasatoshi
Who through 13 questions was one point out of the lead, and had not used his pass. Instead of using it, he choose Sean Connery as the answer to question 14, and gets the special recognition for TD 172. If you are wondering what that award is: it would be the two sentences after I mentioned his name.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Merry Christmas to all of you, and I truly thank many of you for the nice comments I got in PM's during the set up of this quiz.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Thanks for the TD and merry holidays to you!
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

Sherm wrote:Merry Christmas to all of you, and I truly thank many of you for the nice comments I got in PM's during the set up of this quiz.
And a very Merry Christmas to you, too - and thanks for the game! Middle of the road as usual, but these are always fun.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thanks for a great game and congrats to gftt. A green kazoo or the Great Gazoo from the The Flintstones. Either one has a reputation for being annoying. My kind of 2nd place prize.

Sports and J! I expected to help me in this game. Taft leading the Supreme Court worth one point was plain lucky.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Sherm wrote:
Bamaman, you've got it nailed. These answers all came from the Jarchive, which does not have all regular games once you go past 1996, but it does have all the ToC games and the special tournies. At least they have all the ones of know of. Eric Newhouse, picked up two games for a teen reunion tourny that he won. 12 players, each played in one game and 3 of the top 4 scores advanced to a final. How goofy is that?
That was an odd format. If there weren't 15 they wanted to bring back, why not just have nine and use the format from the 10th anniversary tourney? And were you counting Eric's games from his original Teen Tourney as his original run, since he was never a regular player?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I guess I am having what some call a "senior moment" as I am blanking on a 7th game for Bev Schwartzberg. Four TOC + 2 UTOC = 6. Which game have I lost from the memory banks?
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

MarkBarrett wrote:I guess I am having what some call a "senior moment" as I am blanking on a 7th game for Bev Schwartzberg. Four TOC + 2 UTOC = 6. Which game have I lost from the memory banks?
I don't think you are, I'm thinking I did. The Jarchive has one of her original 5 games in the database. I must have counted it, because she never became an official answer in the quiz, I never double checked her. You are correct in that she only has 6 games, not 7.

Also, without looking, I was remembering the Great Gazoo as the Great Kazoo. I can't say I've seen the Flinstones much over the last 35 years, and he wasn't on there much. I thought it was a better play on words than it ended up being. :) Based on our ages, I also figured you would get it, and you even did with me goofing it up.
Bamaman wrote: That was an odd format. If there weren't 15 they wanted to bring back, why not just have nine and use the format from the 10th anniversary tourney? And were you counting Eric's games from his original Teen Tourney as his original run, since he was never a regular player?
The reason I mentioned Colby Burnett in the original question was because he was a ToC qualifier from an initial tourny, just like Newhouse. His original games in the teen tourny were not counted. I'm really surprised Newhouse got no votes. I believe he was a one and done in the UToC, but he lost to Rutter in the finals of the million dollars masters. He's been in a bunch of tournies over the years.
wallzy41
Seeking Degree in Jeopardy!

Post by wallzy41 »

Oh man, that's too funny. Is he trying for the CC?
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Sherm wrote:Merry Christmas to all of you, and I truly thank many of you for the nice comments I got in PM's during the set up of this quiz.
Merry Christmas to you, and thanks for the enjoyable TD.