FJs for the 12/9/13 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 12/9/13 week?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Although born in the United States, he was the only president who spoke English as a second language
66%
It's the southern city in which the building seen here is located; counting the panels may help
67%
After throwing a long, last-second touchdown in 1975, Roger Staubach said, "I closed my eyes & said" this
97%
In a letter to the author, President Obama called this "A lovely book--an elegant proof of God, and the power of storytelling"
34%
There's news of the first lab test for this 10-letter condition the NIH calls the leading cause of disability for Americans 15 to 44
15%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
3%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
1%
MYTHING PERSONS $800: If he hadn't stolen fire from heaven, he wouldn't have been bound by chains to a rock in the Caucasus
89%
MILITARY GOVERNORS $1000: As military governor of this "Crescent City", Benjamin Franklin butler allegedly looted its local banks
75%
THE KILLING $1000: On July 13, 1793 Charlotte Corday pretended to seek the protection of this Parisian, whose bath was ruined, big time
72%
I have lived in Texas, yet I still missed the FJ! clue looking for Austin.
3%
I have seen the Austin capitol building in person, yet I still missed the Tuesday FJ! clue.
3%
I have never set foot in the state of Texas, but I figured out Austin was the correct response for Tuesday.
31%
I have read the book "Life of Pi."
13%
I have seen the movie "Life of Pi."
29%
Too many players do not wager well from a second place position in the FJ! round.
72%

Total votes: 116

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 12/9/13 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

12/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. PRESDIENTS

12/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Although born in the United States, he was the only president who spoke English as a second language

12/10 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
STATE CAPITALS

12/10 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It's the southern city in which the building seen here is located; counting the panels may help

12/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SPORTS TERM HISTORY

12/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
After throwing a long, last-second touchdown in 1975, Roger Staubach said, "I closed my eyes & said" this

12/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
21st CENTURY NOVELS

12/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a letter to the author, President Obama called this "A lovely book--an elegant proof of God, and the power of storytelling"

12/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HEALTH & MEDICINE 2013

12/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
There's news of the first lab test for this 10-letter condition the NIH calls the leading cause of disability for Americans 15 to 44

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Martin van Buren
Austin
Hail Mary
Life of Pi
Depression
The players were 4/14 (28.57%) with a 1-0-3-0-0 success pattern.

The extra clues have two correct by the players sandwiching a triple stumper.

MYTHING PERSONS $800: If he hadn't stolen fire from heaven, he wouldn't have been bound by chains to a rock in the Caucasus

MILITARY GOVERNORS $1200: As military governor of this "Crescent City", Benjamin Franklin butler allegedly looted its local banks

THE KILLING $1000: On July 13, 1793 Charlotte Corday pretended to seek the protection of this Parisian, whose bath was ruined, big time

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Prometheus
New Orleans
Marat
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 12/9/13 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Never been to TX
Movie only.
Thursday and Friday are people's exhibits A & B for 2nd place wagering.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(

The "six" TOM went over my head on Tuesday, and I had no chance on Thursday's or Friday's FJ clue.

The extras were all pretty easy.
esrever

Post by esrever »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:( :mrgreen: :(

My worst FJ week this season, so far.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Been to Austin a few times.
Not even a guess on Thurs or Fri.
Neither read nor seen Life of Pi.
Most people don't know how to bet, period.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :( :(

No clue, instaget times two, no clue, no clue.

Interestingly, I fit none of the three sub-questions for Texas. I have been to Texas, but Commerce was the furthest I went.

Crescent City always gets muddled in my head. I keep thinking it's Seattle because there was a Crescent department store in Washington state, but even that's wrong, because it was based in Spokane. Derp.

NHO Marat.

Wagering strategery gives me a migraine, but even I can notice bad wagers at times.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I think this is the second week in a row that the Friday FJ has kept me from 5/5.

Life of Pi was a wild guess. I don't know much about it, not having seen the movie or read the book, but somehow it popped into my mind, and "the power of storytelling" seemed to work with it.

I don't think I would have gotten Austin without the "counting the panels" bit in the clue.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Actually came up with depression on Friday, but only after thinking about it all day after reading the clue in the NY Times, so no credit.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I saw the answer for Friday's FJ before I watched the show, so I don't know if I would have guessed right or not.

I haven't read or seen Life of Pi, but have read some discussions about the book.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
I've been to Texas, but it didn't help me get that FJ--the "six flags over Texas" clued me in.
Never read or seen Life of Pi.
I really felt as if I should have gotten Friday's FJ.

Wagering from second can be complicated, and sometimes players have to guess, but it doesn't seem as if it should be a stretch to take into account what leader will have if he or she makes the MSB and gets the question wrong. This is the most frequent scenario in which the player in second has a chance to win.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Carpe Diem on Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

:D :D :D :D :(
:D :D :D

Life of Pi (the movie) is the best ever use of 3D on film. I don't normally recommend 3D, but if you have the chance to see this one in 3D, do so.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

WAGged on Thursday with one of my precalls, Freedom (by Jonathan Franzen, though certainly nothing godly about it).
Nothing I came up with on Friday had ten letters.

Never been to Texas other than a changeover for a flight in Dallas.
I think I got Crescent City by watching Treme recently.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Monday I had no clue. I considered Obama, thinking perhaps Hawaiian, but "was" made it seem unlikely. Guessed Millard Filmore.
Never read nor seen Life of Pi, but I was aware of it and thought it would make a good Hail Mary guess.
Friday all the conditions I could think of were too short (diabetes, obesity, laziness, scoliosis); went with scoliosis hoping I was mispelling it and it would be counted right anyway.

I knew Marat because of this FJ!, when I figured out who the clue was going for, but couldn't come up with either name, just "she killed the guy in the bathtub." Frustration can be a great learning tool.

I went to college in Austin.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

:( :mrgreen: :(

Been to Austin many times, last went to the capitol in April.
Seen Life of Pi.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Still 100% after 59 people, but I know someone late in the thread said they missed it. Maybe waiting as long as possible so as not to ruin it. :lol:

BTW, just noticed the phrasing:
After throwing a long, last-second touchdown in 1975, Roger Staubach said, "I closed my eyes & said" this.

Why would he say it after throwing a touchdown? Isn't her intercession desired before that?

Perhaps,
After launching a last-second desperation pass in 1975, Roger Staubach said, "I closed my eyes & said" this
is more accurate?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I don't think your revision improves it because they really needed to include the touchdown bit. I guess he said his "Hail Mary..." after throwing it but before the receiver caught it, but that would make for a little too much verbosity in the question. :)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I don't think your revision improves it because they really needed to include the touchdown bit.
Do they? Just the attempt is called a Hail Mary, regardless.
Unless he threw another last-second desperation pass in 1975 that failed, where he closed his eyes and said an "Our Father," the question is pinned with the data offered, isn't it?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Paucle wrote:BTW, just noticed the phrasing:
After throwing a long, last-second touchdown in 1975, Roger Staubach said, "I closed my eyes & said" this.

Why would he say it after throwing a touchdown? Isn't her intercession desired before that?
The clue is saying that the quotation was spoken after the touchdown, not the Hail Mary itself.

But the phrase "throwing a touchdown" is weird, containing both cause and effect while leaving a good amount of space in between. If Roger Staubach said the Hail Mary while the ball was airborne, he certainly said it after throwing. One might argue that since we know now the result would be a touchdown, he had thrown a touchdown the moment the ball left his hand, and anything he did between then and the touchdown was nevertheless something he did after throwing a touchdown.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I've been to Texas, but never to Austin. Sadly, I've seen the capital building in Atlanta many times (including just days before this episode) and still said Atlanta. :oops:

I've never read or seen The Life of Pi.

More than one is way too many.

For the season:
35-30
Longest FJ winning streak: 6
Longest FJ losing streak: 3 (active 2)
Teacher tournament: 6-4
5/5: 0
4/5: 2
3/5: 5
2/5: 6
1/5: 0
0/5: 0

Van Buren and Hail Mary were instagets. The Six Flags TOM took me to the wrong city with a Six Flags. No chance on the last two.