Monday, December 16, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, December 16, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alamble »

econgator wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
It took me a few seconds to piece FJ together. The bit about North Korea was a big hint, not sure if I figure it out with just the initials.
I missed FJ :(
I don't see what is the big hint??
North Korea -- if they gave that country, it follows that the one they are looking for is in the same rough area.
Not to mention the fact that the "DRP" in each of those countries' names stand for "People's Democratic Republic" and those two governments are not exactly "democratic".
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I call that a really well done FJ. Enough to puzzle it, but required (well, for me at least) puzzling it out.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

NoName84 wrote:
econgator wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
It took me a few seconds to piece FJ together. The bit about North Korea was a big hint, not sure if I figure it out with just the initials.
North Korea -- if they gave that country, it follows that the one they are looking for is in the same rough area.
Rough area more in terms of system of government than geography.
Hey, they both border China. ;)
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

alamble wrote:
econgator wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Not to mention the fact that the "DRP" in each of those countries' names stand for "People's Democratic Republic" and those two governments are not exactly "democratic".
Thanks for the info -- makes much more sense now!
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

alietr wrote:I call that a really well done FJ. Enough to puzzle it, but required (well, for me at least) puzzling it out.
I agree. Once I figured PDR stood for People's Democratic Republic, I decided L stood for Laotian (close enough--it's actually Lao).

It's been enough decades since my biology classes that I frequently get my taxonomic ranks confused, but I had "primates". Knowledge of NYC geography helped me on the airport clue. Like esrever, I got the Lach trash on pitching machine and cage. Ran TV lawyers; whiffed Rock 'n' Roll.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The hint for me on North Korea wasn't that it was an Asian country (though that helped) but that it was going to be a commie country. I wasn't 100% sure that Laos fit that, but it seemed a safe guess.

I have no idea where NYC's airports are, but guessed Laguardia since I knew he was mayor in the 1930s so I figured that was then they built the airport named for him.

Was hoping Florence would be about my hometown, but was sadly disappointed.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:I have no idea where NYC's airports are, but guessed Laguardia since I knew he was mayor in the 1930s so I figured that was then they built the airport named for him.
LaGuardia = North side of Queens , JFK = South side of Queens, about 12 miles from LGA. It actually wasn't named for LaGuardia until the 50's.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I have no idea where NYC's airports are, but guessed Laguardia since I knew he was mayor in the 1930s so I figured that was then they built the airport named for him.
LaGuardia = North side of Queens , JFK = South side of Queens, about 12 miles from LGA. It actually wasn't named for LaGuardia until the 50's.
My route was the same as Bamaman's (LaGuardia is a 1930s mayor ... ), even though I now know that it was renamed later, I'm guessing that was the TOM.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I got Laos fairly quickly since I realized that it was probably another left wing dictatorship. I ran rock & roll so that felt good. I liked this game despite an odd guess or three. Good pace & lively contestants.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Just curious: why did teddy Kennedy have secret service protection? Was this while he was running for president?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I got the roly poly since it asked for rhyming. On picture alone I would have said potato bug.

I only know the group of gorillas as a band and went for it even though it did not seem to fit the scouting requirement of the clue wanting troop. I felt trapped on that one somewhat.

Everything went well for Matthew tonight, but his not knowing Laura or being able to figure out pitching machine bugged me. My instincts tell me his impressive debut does not equal such smooth sailing tomorrow.

Usually in a 24000 against 11400 situation I would want the lock to live a little and bet 1000 +/- $100 or so. COUNTRIES FOR SHORT? I don't blame him one bit for the zero wager even though he got it right. My wager would have been under $100 in such a scenario.

Just because Korea is Asian I did not feel strongly that the "L" country had to be in Asia. I guessed Laos because in my limited brainstorm I only had Libya, Liberia and Lebanon to choose from for possibles. Laos felt like the best of those options.

The category had me thinking it would be one of the Hel---- Republic places.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Woppy T wrote:Just curious: why did teddy Kennedy have secret service protection? Was this while he was running for president?
Did you notice that Sarah Palin was in the list too? One would assume that would be the reason why (I don't think Senators and Congressmen usually get SS protection.)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

alamble

Post by alamble »

dhkendall wrote:
Woppy T wrote:Just curious: why did teddy Kennedy have secret service protection? Was this while he was running for president?
Did you notice that Sarah Palin was in the list too? One would assume that would be the reason why (I don't think Senators and Congressmen usually get SS protection.)
No, Congresscritters do not generally get Secret Service protection. I'm not sure why Rose Kennedy would have been assigned Secret Service protection though. Maybe under an abundance of caution given the family's history.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Got Laos, but it did make me think afterward: why would either North Korea or Laos use an acronym in English? Do they just translate the official country name into English in these cases?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Got Laos, but it did make me think afterward: why would either North Korea or Laos use an acronym in English? Do they just translate the official country name into English in these cases?
Yes. It's easier for us than Sathalanalat Paxathipatai Paxaxon Lao. :lol: Not the greatest boards for me tonight, but FJ was an easy get and a nice antidote to the debacle of last week.
Last edited by Woof on Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WJMorris3
Contributor

Post by WJMorris3 »

The clue didn't specify a year. Ted and Rose Kennedy would have certainly been under protection while JFK was president, as Secret Service protection extends to the President's immediate family.

EDIT: In addition to Rose Kennedy being protected as JFK's mother, Ted Kennedy would have been protected when he was running for President in 1980.
Last edited by WJMorris3 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Got Laos, but it did make me think afterward: why would either North Korea or Laos use an acronym in English? Do they just translate the official country name into English in these cases?
Did the clue say that it's used by those countries in those countries? (An honest question, I don't have the wording.)
alamble wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
No, Congresscritters do not generally get Secret Service protection. I'm not sure why Rose Kennedy would have been assigned Secret Service protection though. Maybe under an abundance of caution given the family's history.
I was reading the list on Wikipedia of Secret Service codenamed, and it looks like there's a fair number of people you wouldn't' expect to have protection to have a codename (cabinet members, for example). Perhaps a codename doesn't imply they're being protected by the SS, but that they have to refer to them. (Also, with foreign dignitaries, such as the Queen, they might have their own protection and not need the Secret Service, but would still be needed to be referred to by them.)

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Woof wrote:
Yes. It's easier for us than Sathalanalat Paxathipatai Paxaxon Lao. :lol:
And easier still than ສາທາລະນະລັດ ປະຊາທິປະໄຕ ປະຊາຊົນລາວ ;)

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

This Is Kirk! wrote: why would either North Korea or Laos use an acronym in English? Do they just translate the official country name into English in these cases?
Wait, don't you know? Everybody on Earth, their primary language is English.
Countries just invent indigenous languages so they can talk smack about the white devil.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

'Cage' was my SATS. Guess people need to freshen up on their X-Men Animated?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRjm4V1W8ck&t=9m3s
(Strange side note; [youtube] tag doesn't know how to handle time links)

(I otherwise had an awful DJ! round... )

Final wasn't instant, but well within time (half way thru).
Figured out the PDR trick early, it was just a matter of dusting off Laos quickly enough. No way would I have gotten it in 30 seconds without that, though.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)