Monday, December 16, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Monday, December 16, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Dr. J wrote:We just had a graduating senior present his paper on the Communist takeover of Laos, so that happily gave me my answer. Angostura is one of those answers I'd almost rather stay clam on, even though I know it, for fear of bungling the name.
Just take a big mouthful of peanut butter sandwich and try to say "Aaron Burr." You'll get it close enough.
I freaking hated that ad. So much of it just doesn't add up.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Dr. J wrote:We just had a graduating senior present his paper on the Communist takeover of Laos, so that happily gave me my answer. Angostura is one of those answers I'd almost rather stay clam on, even though I know it, for fear of bungling the name.
Just take a big mouthful of peanut butter sandwich and try to say "Aaron Burr." You'll get it close enough.
You mean ads aren't realistic? Damn, and here I thought that wearing Axe Body Spray would make me irresistible to women!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
You mean ads aren't realistic? Damn, and here I thought that wearing Axe Body Spray would make me irresistible to women!
They can't smell it through JBoard. :)
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:You mean ads aren't realistic? Damn, and here I thought that wearing Axe Body Spray would make me irresistible to women!
You must be doing something wrong. In my experience, if you Axe, you shall receive.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Depends on the ad style. Some I can take being unrealistic and over-the-top, like most of Kmart's recent material (except the "gifting out" ads, which I just find annoying). And some ads I can take as being more down-to-earth. For instance, I just saw Pillsbury ad where a couple are just conversing like normal people about what he made for the Christmas party, and he says pigs in a blanket. She smiles and says, "You used the oven?" in a playful tone. I don't think he even shoehorned in the brand ("Pigs in a blanket made with Pillsbury® Cresecent™ Rolls™®").

But this one always seemed to be trying to aim for some awkward halfway point that chafed with me. Maybe it's just because I grew up on call-in radio quizzes, and just can't take how unrealistically they're depicted in it. Number one, why do they call him? Number two, why are they timing the question? And number three, why is he being so impolite as to eat while on the phone?

ETA: It's just an ad, I should really just relax.

Also, dh — did you know that Rob Paulsen was the radio voice in that ad?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
But this one always seemed to be trying to aim for some awkward halfway point that chafed with me. Maybe it's just because I grew up on call-in radio quizzes, and just can't take how unrealistically they're depicted in it. Number one, why do they call him? Number two, why are they timing the question? And number three, why is he being so impolite as to eat while on the phone?

http://youtu.be/t1_s0eWbaYI

Here's the ad in question. To answer your criticisms....

1. The host says they always make random calls.

2. Don't all quiz shows have time limits? I'd do great on FJ if I had an unlimited amount of time to ponder the answer.

3. He wasn't eating on the phone, he was eating when the show called him. If he didn't answer the phone right away, they'll hang up and call someone else.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:

http://youtu.be/t1_s0eWbaYI

Here's the ad in question. To answer your criticisms....

1. The host says they always make random calls.

2. Don't all quiz shows have time limits? I'd do great on FJ if I had an unlimited amount of time to ponder the answer.

3. He wasn't eating on the phone, he was eating when the show called him. If he didn't answer the phone right away, they'll hang up and call someone else.
Really, he should have just clammed, because Aaron Burr seemed way too obvious.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Some I can take being unrealistic and over-the-top, like most of Kmart's recent material (except the "gifting out" ads, which I just find annoying).
I heard it as "giffing out" (which, as we all know now is the incorrect :roll: spelling of the image format). Doesn't make it any less stupid, though.

ETA: Whoops, pronunciation, not spelling.
Last edited by sarah0114 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

sarah0114 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Some I can take being unrealistic and over-the-top, like most of Kmart's recent material (except the "gifting out" ads, which I just find annoying).
I heard it as "giffing out" (which, as we all know now is the incorrect :roll: spelling of the image format). Doesn't make it any less stupid, though.
Agree on both counts.

Rex
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:1. The host says they always make random calls.

1. What kind of radio quiz show calls listeners? How do they get the numbers of random listeners? How do they know those people are listening at that moment? What if they're out shopping at the time, or on the toilet, or already on the phone? I've never heard of a radio show doing a quiz this way, and I await proof that it is done this way, because this sounds awkward as all get out.

2. My mom and I did radio quizzes all the time when we were young, and they never timed the questions. Ever. Not even when we were playing for a "big" prize like a trip to Disney World. (Sweet merciful crap, was that really 19 years ago?!?)

3. Maybe my mouth is more skilled than most, but I seem to have no trouble SPITTING OUT a peanut butter sandwich. Or using my noodle and saying, "hey, they're about to call me, maybe I shouldn't be eating right now, lest they call me when my mouth is full."
sarah0114 wrote:I heard it as "giffing out" (which, as we all know now is the incorrect :roll: spelling of the image format). Doesn't make it any less stupid, though.
Those ads make me want to ship my pants.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: 1. What kind of radio quiz show calls listeners? How do they get the numbers of random listeners? How do they know those people are listening at that moment? What if they're out shopping at the time, or on the toilet, or already on the phone? I've never heard of a radio show doing a quiz this way, and I await proof that it is done this way, because this sounds awkward as all get out.
It's not as common these days, but it has been done: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialing_for_Dollars
2. My mom and I did radio quizzes all the time when we were young, and they never timed the questions. Ever. Not even when we were playing for a "big" prize like a trip to Disney World. (Sweet merciful crap, was that really 19 years ago?!?)
But at some point the contestant must have given up or made a wild guess? Because I guarantee no radio station is going to let you sit there all day while you start browsing the encyclopedia.
3. Maybe my mouth is more skilled than most, but I seem to have no trouble SPITTING OUT a peanut butter sandwich....
You DID see how much peanut butter the guy used, right? He pretty much just empties the whole jar between AND ON TOP of the sandwich.
... Or using my noodle and saying, "hey, they're about to call me, maybe I shouldn't be eating right now, lest they call me when my mouth is full."
Because you're always making the right decision 100% of the time.

Is the commercial possible? Unlikely. Is it -plausible-? Yes.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:But at some point the contestant must have given up or made a wild guess? Because I guarantee no radio station is going to let you sit there all day while you start browsing the encyclopedia.
It was either a guess that led to "Yes, that's right, we'll put you on the air" or "No, sorry, that's wrong, thanks for playing. *click*" No hemming and hawing, no timer.

I will concede that radio quizzes where they call you do exist, that it may not be easy to spit out a sandwich that saturated with peanut butter (although I seemed to have no trouble with a sandwich containing equal amounts of Nutella — hey, I don't like peanut butter), and that someone might not be thinking "hey, they might call me, I might not wanna be eating right now".

But I still don't like the ad.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Depends on the ad style. Some I can take being unrealistic and over-the-top, like most of Kmart's recent material (except the "gifting out" ads, which I just find annoying). And some ads I can take as being more down-to-earth. For instance, I just saw Pillsbury ad where a couple are just conversing like normal people about what he made for the Christmas party, and he says pigs in a blanket. She smiles and says, "You used the oven?" in a playful tone. I don't think he even shoehorned in the brand ("Pigs in a blanket made with Pillsbury® Cresecent™ Rolls™®").
This is my favorite "Pig in a blanket" commercial.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Does anyone think Mean Joe Greene really would have thrown that kid his jersey?
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Vermonter wrote:Does anyone think Mean Joe Greene really would have thrown that kid his jersey?
He''d have just thrown the kid to Jersey.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

silverscreentest wrote:This is my favorite "Pig in a blanket" commercial.
Geico ads go two ways for me: either they're a.) only funny the first time I see them, and just eye-rolling the fourth time I see them; or b.) eye-rolling the FIRST time I see them.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
silverscreentest wrote:This is my favorite "Pig in a blanket" commercial.
Geico ads go two ways for me: either they're a.) only funny the first time I see them, and just eye-rolling the fourth time I see them; or b.) eye-rolling the FIRST time I see them.
You're entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it might be.